RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

hackers stealing customers personal info as revenge against SONY sounds like an excuse to steal credit cards, not anger at sony.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

They should have mentioned the compromise earlier, but I wouldn't say they screwed up to get hacked. It happens to everybody. I've dealt with it with my loan provider and my school before.

They're actually taking responsible steps (aside from the late reveal).

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yes, it's their responsibility. And they made the efforts to uphold that responsibility and are continuing to do so. If you have some evidence that the breach was some vulnerability they should have reasonably know of, I'd be curious.

Yes, it's their responsibility. And they made the efforts to uphold that responsibility and are continuing to do so. If you have some evidence that the breach was some vulnerability they should have reasonably know of, I'd be curious.

Yeah, they're doing an ok job with it now. But it's not like hackers stealing 77 million user names, passwords, addresses and credit card numbers(possibly) is an everyday occurrence.

Yeah, they're doing an ok job with it now. But it's not like hackers stealing 77 million user names, passwords, addresses and credit card numbers(possibly) is an everyday occurrence.

It's surprisingly common. I've seen three personal information breaches of institutions I used, counting this one, in the past 5 years. One of which was a bank. And another name/password breach occurred within very recent memory with the entire Gawker Media network.

Edited by Tale

I wouldn't call that frequency common. Wonder if that errant patch that enabled a debug mode had something to do with this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They should have mentioned the compromise earlier, but I wouldn't say they screwed up to get hacked. It happens to everybody. I've dealt with it with my loan provider and my school before.

They're actually taking responsible steps (aside from the late reveal).

Hmm, bets that it is MS hacking and laughing about it?

Or could it be people that just hate Sony and are getting revenge (as the article tries to imply)...

Or the Chinese?

Whatever it is, bad juju for PSN. I suppose that means I better start looking to ensure I don't get any personal damage from this as a PS3 user and someone who had to register on PSN in order to get some DLC...stupid DLC. This seems to reinforce my reasons against DRM and omiting items out of a game so you have to do it DLC (DA2 Sebastian, etc.)...[sarcasm] can't imagine why [/sarcasm]

While I've been a bit jealous of the exclusives the PS3 has been getting lately I have to say I've never been more pleased that I got a 360 instead of a PS3.

I can still play PS3 exclusives offline... You can freely continue to be jealous :lol:

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

The problem in either is overindulgence. I tend to find cutscenes favor indulgence over controllable sequences. They'll do cutscene because they think it's awesome and expect you to think it's awesome.

When it comes to cutscenes I prefer something like Deus Ex where outside of beginning/ending cinematics and multiple choice conversations there are no cutscenes, or something like Thief where cutscenes occur between missions and never interrupt actual gameplay.

The type of cutscene I hate most is the one that interrupts the action to show you a cool new monster coming to attack you. Resident Evil 5 does it, but at least it never leaves you in a bad position once the cutscene is over. Alan Wake however is the worst in this regard. Why would I want to fight that possessed bulldozer thingy that has just appeared when I can instead watch that piece of machinery moving closer to my character who is standing still like an idiot because I've lost control of him so you can show me this cool cutscene?

The type of cutscene I hate most is the one that interrupts the action to show you a cool new monster coming to attack you. Resident Evil 5 does it, but at least it never leaves you in a bad position once the cutscene is over. Alan Wake however is the worst in this regard.

I've no idea what 'Alan Wake' is, but the one that stands out in my short term memory is DA:O. It was frustrating beyond belief whenever a boss fight or similar came up, your carefully prepared sneak attack and scouting out would be "overruled" by the game and you would strut happily up in the middle of a badly concealed ambush in the worst defencible position =]

[/rant]

Yeah, cutscenes are almost as bad as QTE's

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's surprisingly common. I've seen three personal information breaches of institutions I used, counting this one, in the past 5 years. One of which was a bank. And another name/password breach occurred within very recent memory with the entire Gawker Media network.

Dude, 77 million people.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

That's pretty annoying news, I was happy to hear about Sony getting bloodied over the PS3 jailbreaks but this is going too far, it seems like actual criminality rather than "freedom fighting".

So you think that stealing the personal data + credit card info of 77 million people "seems like actual criminality rather than freedom fighting"? 25 years ago they would've made you minister of justice in South Africa.

Or, to make myself completely clear, even if credit card info hasn't been compromised, this is the biggest data break in & theft in history.

Also, I've been unable to access xbox.com since this morning on two different machines. =]

I just checked then and it isn't working for me either. I can access Live just fine on the actual 360 though.

Yes, it's rather curious, I was in a redirect loop this morning. Wonder if people overloaded the system, rushing to change their account data from being identical with their PSN stuff. :D

Also: http://spong.com/feature/10110384/Opinion-...k-Hack-Analysis

An interesting analysis, I'd assumed that since Sony was mentioning the credit card details in the first place that the breach had been at a very high level, but this info would suggest that it's not necessarily the case.

Yep?

Would you describe a certain 20th century German dictator as "slightly misguided"?

(Ah, England. I hope it's just understatement). =]

Edited by Nepenthe

Or, to make myself completely clear, even if credit card info hasn't been compromised, this is the biggest data break in & theft in history.
Heartland Payment Systems is about 130 million records.