RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Prey 1 was an okay-ish game, but not very memorable so I'm actually glad they're completely revamping it. Anything that is reminiscent of Blade Runner is a good thing.

Also, Bethesda manifests itself as my favorite publisher, they have some really hot titles under their hood.

I enjoyed it but you are right. There were a lot of problems with it. The Native American angle was poorly handled and seemed like an excuse to add the more 'magicy' stuff to the game like spirit walking and there really needed to be a few more enemy types. You spend most of the game fighting the standard alien troopers. I did love the whole alien sphere thing, portals and the use of gravity.

Prey 2 sounds like Deus Ex/Blade Runner meets Star Wars. :ermm:

Hm, Prey had some interesting element, and a damn good soundtrack.

Some of the visuals were quite good as well.

Of course, that whole "Death Star" type structure can be really funky... :ermm:

I'll have to keep my eye out for what's going on with the sequel then..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

i can only imagine that they feel like games with a "2" after the title sell better than games without said "2"

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Even more so when it's an EXPONENT. Fury was the first game to have that no ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Prey 2 IGN preview

I like what I read. But why do they call it Prey 2 when it has nothing to do with the predecessor? Did Prey 1 actually sell so well?

Apparently there are a few links ;

The principle one being that the main character you play was abducted in the same event that Tommy was in the original (in fact, from whats been suggested so far, from the passenger jet you saw in the background in the first game).

Also, they've mentioned that you'll run into Tommy at various points during the storyline.

So it's more that it's in the same universe, and it's still some form of first-person shooter...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Apparently there are a few links ;

The principle one being that the main character you play was abducted in the same event that Tommy was in the original (in fact, from whats been suggested so far, from the passenger jet you saw in the background in the first game).

Also, they've mentioned that you'll run into Tommy at various points during the storyline.

So it's more that it's in the same universe, and it's still some form of first-person shooter...

I remember that plane from the first game. You could also find a crazed survivor from the plane hidden in a compartment. They are still very loose connections but perhaps more will be revealed that are being kept hidden now. It is odd that it is being called Prey 2 in that everything that made the first Prey has been removed. Portals, gravity, spirit walk, death minigame etc.

I am glad they removed the death minigame. It was a cool idea, but poorly implemented. It removed any sense of fear as death simply meant you would play this spirit shooting minigame. The problems were that there was no limit to the number of times you could die. You could respawn and get blown up over and over. Further, you could not fail the minigame. If you just stood there and watched the spirits circle you, even let them hit you, you would still respawn with 50% health. That could have made the death minigame decent, if there was actual danger and you had to put some effort in or the spirits would actually kill you.

Doom fans will be happy with Doom 4

Glad to see they don't just make a reboot or re-skin.

id Software has been making me very happy lately, including the devs using their engine (Brink & Prey 2).

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Prey 2 Interview. No gameplay footage, but some more info. "Game features 20 gadgets with 40 upgrades". :lol:

I wish game makers would wait until within 6 months of introducing a game. My hype meter is high, but game wont be out until sometime next year. :ermm:

Both Mortal Kombat and Portal 2 are getting great reviews. I don't really feel either game is worth the full price tag and plan to wait until they are in the 30-40 dollar range.

Most if not all MK Fatalities. First time I've seen MK Fatalities that are actually kind of... disturbing. :x

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Doom fans will be happy with Doom 4

Glad to see they don't just make a reboot or re-skin.

I don't understand how an fps from id will even run on any current console. Isn't the tech limitation of "console-friendly" the antithesis of everything id strives for in a game?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't understand how an fps from id will even run on any current console. Isn't the tech limitation of "console-friendly" the antithesis of everything id strives for in a game?

Even id releases cross platform now. The videos they've shown of Rage running on a 360 look great. I've mentioned it many times but part of the many reasons I finally caved and got a console a few years ago was every game company I loved was releasing cross platform, if not releasing for console first with the PC version an afterthought.

The only big PC-centric dev studio I can think of is Blizzard, and even they have shown signs of interest in console games.

heh.

It's weird to think an id game is capable of running well on 5 year old tech. Who'd thunk such would ever happen.

everything id strives for in a game?

You mean, other than making money?

no, no. I said id not bioware.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't think Doom 3's Ultra High setting is considered the default.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

scalable tech is going to be very big for the next few years. 3rd parties will want to release their games on the ps4/xbox720 AND the super wii, and those systems will probably have very big differences in power.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

scalable tech is going to be very big for the next few years.

hee hee

Only if you're a console plebe. :x

For everyone. The hardware treadmill is stupid.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."