What you did today

Gorth

That's pretty nice of you to do, pretty foreign concept to me. Can't say I'd ever see my managers ever, ever go for that. But then again my company motto is "Blessed is the slave that loves the lash".

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

At least it's not mushroom management.

"Keep the employees in the dark, and occasionally throw chits at them."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Nah, we're run like terrorist cells. One team has no knowledge of what others are doing, or even what's going on in a regional setting. Hence people end up getting told "Hey, can you..uhh...go to New York for 6 months starting..umm..this afternoon ? thanks"

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Displaying the leadership skills for which I am justly famous, yesterday and today we've all got ad hoc holiday. The way I figure it, losing a couple of days may be uneconomical, but it's inhumane to keep people indoors with this sort of weather. They don't work well at the time and it misses an opportunity to build loyalty and goodwill. I should write some sort of management text about The Hobbit and the Art of Management.

I don't agree... I want to be let out when it rains, and kept in a nice air conditioned office when its hott.

I also want to work when its dark, and nobody else is in the office.

Does this make me strange? Or just a programmer?

PLZ HELP ME WALS YOU ARTIST OF MANAGEMENT YOU!

Ta

Nightshape.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

At least it's not mushroom management.

"Keep the employees in the dark, and occasionally throw chits at them."

Seagull management is the worst kind I've come across, mushroom management seems somewhat a blessing at the side of it.

I'm amused that Nightshape thinks I'd have anything as modern as air conditioning.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Just finished carrying, shoving and hauling some leather couches and realized for it to have hit me as hard as it did I must be seriously out of shape. What's the quickest way to get into shape? And by quickest I mean least time. I'm not adverse to effort but I simply have very little free time to spend excercising.

Sounds like you need some cardio so the "fastest" will probably be running or biking. A few miles per day can probably be accomplished in under an hour.

Makes sense, I'll try biking since I enjoy that anyway. Quick solution for me - stop driving / commuting everywhere and take the bike. I'll have to since I'm moving further away from the local train and bus station in two weeks anyway.

Quickest way to get into shape is to play fighting games and eat cheeseburgers.

Tried this one for years, didn't work. Surprisingly, if you take out the cheeseburgers it works like a charm. :o

Playing ice hockey once a week is the best way to stay in shape.

Thanks for the advice, but I can't ice skate. :) I have terrible balance (I'm like a monkey whose tail got cut off) and I actually didn't even master riding a bike until I was like twelve (in context, the bike is one of the principal modes of transport where I live and most kids start learning it by six years of age, myself included).

That's the key. Do something that's fun, otherwise you wont be doing it a couple of weeks from now when your resolve wears off.

That makes sense, I am extremely hard to motivate and much harder to keep motivated. If only I had the cash for an air hockey table.

Thanks guys. Any more advice is always welcome. ^_^

Displaying the leadership skills for which I am justly famous, yesterday and today we've all got ad hoc holiday. The way I figure it, losing a couple of days may be uneconomical, but it's inhumane to keep people indoors with this sort of weather. They don't work well at the time and it misses an opportunity to build loyalty and goodwill. I should write some sort of management text about The Hobbit and the Art of Management.

Considering that the (well, at least on the non-strategic level) main purpose of management is to guarantee the efficiency of work, I'd say that you were on the money - at least if you assume that by cutting them loose today, they are going to remember it next week and work at least the same amount they would've done if they'd stayed at work. :)

I'd gently suggest that even that's a bit narrow. If a couple of days off now simply make them less stressed and it avoids a bout of flu then it's a win. Never mind intangibles like them just not being bloody miserable.

Of course it's narrow, it's a two-line off-the-cuff remark I wrote while flushing the mental toilet between switching chapters in my dissertation writing. :o

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'd actually forgotten tomorrow was Good Friday and there was the resulting bank holiday here.

The days seem to blend in together. Although not as bad as last week thinking wednesday was tuesday and that thursday was friday... :o

I'd gently suggest that even that's a bit narrow. If a couple of days off now simply make them less stressed and it avoids a bout of flu then it's a win. Never mind intangibles like them just not being bloody miserable.

Of course it's narrow, it's a two-line off-the-cuff remark I wrote while flushing the mental toilet between switching chapters in my dissertation writing. :o

If i understand you correctly, you just called me a mental toilet.

But since I'm recovering from a pretty vile hangover I can't technically refute the allegation.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I found out last night through a mutual friend that the ex is getting remarried. I'm happy for her I guess. Actually I just don't care.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I found out last night through a mutual friend that the ex is getting remarried. I'm happy for her I guess. Actually I just don't care.

I've been there man, its kinda of a sucky position involving apathy, and relief... perhaps a smige of pity.

Afterall they're an ex for a reason, you know them fairly well and most likely, having dodged that bullet yourself, you're now watching someone else get shot.

Man, the office is empty today. I'm usually one of the people working through the religious-holidays-that-are-not-official-holidays, but today I'll be leaving around lunchtime to go spend the weekend back in my hometown. It's a short-notice trip to meet my new niece, who came home from the hospital yesterday.

Edited by Enoch

perhaps a smige of pity.

:lol: Oh man ain't that the truth. I've been married to her and would not wish her passive agressive BS head games on my worst enemy. Thankfully I don't know the guy so I don't have to feel too much pity.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If i understand you correctly, you just called me a mental toilet.

I didn't, but if it fits your current self-image, we can retroactively change it to mean that.

I love contract law. :lol:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Happy to see the Red Sox finally start to win some games. The catcher situation is a mess tho...

I had a horrible headache most of the day, almost a migrane. Finally seems to be feeling better, which means I won't be able to sleep now.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i feel so domesticated

feeling sick, so while gf is out drinking with friends i'm sitting at home shuffling around like a zombie and doing some laundry

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Is it wrong to get drunk on Good Friday? I dunno, but I guess thats not the worst thing I've ever done.

Thomas Sowell

Is it wrong to get drunk on Good Friday? I dunno, but I guess thats not the worst thing I've ever done.

Based on the number of people whining over the beer stores being closed here on Good Friday, I'd say no. Was funny to watch the long line of people huying wine, beer, etc after work on Thursday though. Strange.

feeling a bit better today

gf brought home some green ginger wine for me, which, along with whiskey, i find is the best possible medicine for a nasty cough

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Having one of those kind of peaceful sundays actually.

My sister has disapeared for the weekend and taken the dogs with her, so I don't have to worry on that. My mother's taken her daily assortment of prescription pharmacuticals and is half-dozing away with the kindle in hand so I don't have to look after her at the moment.

Trying to figure out if I'm in the mood to poke around at some computer games or not. Although I did catch that old song by Bryan Adams "All for Love" which was strangely depressing a short while ago.

I might just try re-reading some of the Belisarius books instead....

Woke up earlyish and have been having a relaxing morning surfing the interweb. Then baseball game, then Game of Thrones.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts