Dragon Age 2

Gorth

I'm guessing that the 'wave' structure and the nearby spawning are their ways of dealing with memory limitations. That lets you avoid having too many characters on the screen at once, but still have fights that last more than 6 seconds.
DAO had some combat lag issues that were introduced (or made worse) by patch 1.04, regardless of hardware apparently. In my experience such issues were directly linked to the amount of NPCs in a given cell, were they involved in combat or not.

I'd rather they had fixed the issue than just sidestepped it but I don't know what's worse, lagged and unresponsive combat or enemies being magically dropped on top of your party.

I don't think this is the case. Weak enemies still seem to be weak, but the tougher ones I still have to whack at for several minutes.
Having played the demo and reading Laidlaw's comparisons of combat in DAO and DA2, the impression I got is that enemies are indeed weaker overall. *shrug*

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I prefer if the enemies go down in 2-3 chops, but do a lot more damage in turn. The old style where you just trade blows for an hour makes you feel like youre slapping eachother with towels, not fighting with sharp pointy objects.

And with hard and nightmare difficulty modes available to increase the challenge, I really dont understand what the bitching is about.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I prefer if the enemies go down in 2-3 chops, but do a lot more damage in turn. The old style where you just trade blows for an hour makes you feel like youre slapping eachother with towels, not fighting with sharp pointy objects.

Fights with sharp pointy objects would sometimes take better part of an hour.

The 6 second round system was already lightning fast, it just looked very dull and static due to poor selection of combat animations.

There are quite a bit of boss fights that take several minutes, because they just have so much HP. If I used the new weakening abilities more efficiently, they might be faster, but so far I've used my ability points on passive abilities, threat management, and healing. :/

EDIT: I've already encountered over a dozen chances for Faustian deals. I wonder if there's some sort of grand consequence for this stuff.

Edited by MrBrown

I'd prefer Friendly Fire on normal to supposed "raised difficulty" in Hard or Nigtmare. Raising enemy health and damage has never been a very good idea, especially since they they leave them as stupid as they were before. For once i'd like smarter enemies on higher difficulties and nothing else. Not raised health nor raised damage but comparable to players unless of course they have superior equipment and or higher level.

maybe in 20 years.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I know and that's the reason i'd want it on Normal. On Nightmare it just becomes too tedious to take care of everyone since they're so weak. On normal you could still survive a well placed Fireball/Rush attack/Stomp/...

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I'd prefer Friendly Fire on normal to supposed "raised difficulty" in Hard or Nigtmare. Raising enemy health and damage has never been a very good idea, especially since they they leave them as stupid as they were before. For once i'd like smarter enemies on higher difficulties and nothing else. Not raised health nor raised damage but comparable to players unless of course they have superior equipment and or higher level.

maybe in 20 years.

But then the programmers would actually had to work on the AI. :ermm:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

seems like Awakening is the best game of the three :ermm: at least it has some funny characters, some nice boss fights, and is short

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Well, the "wave" encounter design does provide a corresponding nerf to AoE attacks. You don't have to worry about your AI-controlled fighters charging right into your Blizzard anymore, but you also can no longer eliminate an entire encounter with one Storm of the Century cast from extreme range. (Or stun everyone with a single Mabari Howl, or Sleep, or Walking Nightmare, etc.)

Yeah, well. DA2 is so non-crappy that it almost makes me want to buy it. But I really dont want to give BioWare the idea that its okay to keep making fantasy RPGs.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Thoughts so far.

Visuals

+ Everything seems more detailed.

- Old models and textures from Origins stand out as incredibly bad.

Quest

+ Lots and lots of sidequests. Quests are divided into main plot, companion, secondary, and side. Only side quests feel like cheap filler and they're easy to hit up while doing the rest.

- It's a slow start. I've spent way too much time running in circles just to get quests. I don't know if this continues throughout.

Companions

- Everyone wants to get in my pants. I'm not a piece of meat, damnit!

- Friendship/Rivalry is apparently an excuse to approve and disapprove of everything you do. Everyone is Morrigan. I lost points with Anders and Aveline just because I didn't bitch at someone using blood magic. This wouldn't be half as bad if I wasn't gaining points for everything else I do. Two steps forward, one step back, every single time.

Combat (on Normal)

+ Faster and more interesting. Enemies feel weaker, with normals going down in 2-3 hits, but often come in greater numbers.

- Sometimes too fast. When they don't come in greater numbers, a single lightning is usually enough to clear them out.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

"Might be that what they want the product to be is based on what the product was advertised as? (DaRk HeROiC & tactical gameplay)

Sure, buying into the hype is the player's fault but why market the game as something it's not?"

There's a flaw in your logic, friend. DA2 was advertised as a fast paced action game where youc ans till go tatatical if you want. BIo didn't lie. they evenr eleased a demo to show everyone how the combat works. DA2 is exactly what it was advcertised to be.

Don't get me wrong, there are some missteps, and it is less of a rpg than DA was, but it's just as good 9and ebtetr in some ways). For one, the story is better. The major city is probably the best RPG city since Athkatla. And, the graphics despite the naysaying and the funny pics is just as good if not better than DA1 though I persoanlly prefer the DA1 ogre though the DA2 hurlocks (since ogres are darkspawn) are uglier (in a good way) than their DA1 counterparts.

My biggest beef currently is the lack of autoattack.. that was.. a dumb thing to leave out.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

maybe in 20 years.

Unreal anf Half-life had great A.I. that got "smarter" by the difficulty back in 1998 and lets not forget Halo: Combat Evolved in 2001. Enemies outflank you, throw grenades at the right moment and use cover when needed at higher difficulties. Gameplay was really, really fun. Granted, those were fps's but come on.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Quest

+ Lots and lots of sidequests. Quests are divided into main plot, companion, secondary, and side. Only side quests feel like cheap filler and they're easy to hit up while doing the rest.

- It's a slow start. I've spent way too much time running in circles just to get quests. I don't know if this continues throughout.

It's just like BG2, and everyone loved BG2, so that's must be good, right? Right? :ermm:

Companions

- Friendship/Rivalry is apparently an excuse to approve and disapprove of everything you do. Everyone is Morrigan. I lost points with Anders and Aveline just because I didn't bitch at someone using blood magic. This wouldn't be half as bad if I wasn't gaining points for everything else I do. Two steps forward, one step back, every single time.

The range on the scale is short though, so it's easy to get to one end, even if they occasionally disagree with you. It isn't like Awakening, where you had to watch closely to everything you said...

It's just like BG2

BG2 had very good side-quests. good design, good dialogue, good stories. DA2's quests are just as good?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Quest

It's just like BG2, and everyone loved BG2, so that's must be good, right? Right? :ermm:

It's also just like Mass Effect 1. And simply too many games. They drop you in a major hub and put all the quest givers out there. So you spend the first half of your time (sometimes more) doing sidequests, then the second half wrapping up the main plot. It's just uneven.

One thing I like about Mass Effect 2 is that it alternates. Companion quests, collector mission, companion quests, collector mission, etc. Maybe DA2 does something like that, I'm only in the first act.

But yeah, they're definitely trying to channel Baldur's Gate 2. All these sidequests are you trying to earn money for a main quest.

Edited by Tale

When you say that DA2 sidequests are "cheap filler," does that mean they are more or less developed than DA:O's series of "just grab a quest out of that sack over there" assignments?

When you say that DA2 sidequests are "cheap filler," does that mean they are more or less developed than DA:O's series of "just grab a quest out of that sack over there" assignments?

There are three types of side quests. Only one of those types feels like cheap filler. And they are literally find an object on the ground, now go find the guy it belongs to. You're running the bloody lost and found. This type of quest is called "side quest," but secondary quests and companion quests are also side quests in the traditional sense.

Edited by Tale

"They drop you in a major hub and put all the quest givers out there. So you spend the first half of your time (sometimes more) doing sidequests, then the second half wrapping up the main plot. It's just uneven."

Isn't this more logical though even if it is uneven? When the main quest heats up to the climax, you shouldn't be distratced by relatively minor things since most main quests are 'epic' in nature the focus should be on them at that time.

It be like ignoring Saverok's plot to murder the dukes while you go off to to explore Firewine Ruins. L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

hah, which reminds me. there are quests that you pick up on accident. you find an item in a location, and the quest-log points you in the direction of the needed NPC, you bring him the item and that's it! no dialogue at all, IIRC

oh, Tale got to it first. well, there you go. no idea why they included it in the game... XP? stupid BioWare

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

hah, which reminds me. there are quests that you pick up on accident. you find an item in a location, and the quest-log points you in the direction of the needed NPC, you bring him the item and that's it! no dialogue at all, IIRC

Mass Effect 2 styles basically.

They did recycled the mails (and the jokes in the mails) after all.

There are four types of quests. Only one of those types feels like cheap filler. And they are literally "find an object on the ground, now go find the guy it belongs to." You're running the bloody lost and found.

I assume this is also where the "80% of quests are fedex" claim comes from.

Thankfully, those quests take really little time... they start when you find the item, and the recipient is then clearly marked on your map. In the open-exploration part Tales' at, these quests make up 50% of the quests numerically, but take only a few percent of the total time.

The "real" quests are more well thought out, and seem to have several options on how to resolve them. Though how much of that has any kind of consequence, I can't say yet. None of the stuff has really stood out as great yet, but I haven't really been disappointed in them in general.

Edited by MrBrown

"They drop you in a major hub and put all the quest givers out there. So you spend the first half of your time (sometimes more) doing sidequests, then the second half wrapping up the main plot. It's just uneven."

Isn't this more logical though even if it is uneven? When the main quest heats up to the climax, you shouldn't be distratced by relatively minor things since most main quests are 'epic' in nature the focus should be on them at that time.

It be like ignoring Saverok's plot to murder the dukes while you go off to to explore Firewine Ruins. L0LZ

I'm not talking about the main quest heating up to the climax. I'm talking about running out of sidequests by act 2.