Underrated games you like?

Destiny

I was speaking hyphothetically :sorcerer: I doubt Obsidian will get a chance at another spy-game any time soon

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Septerra Core?

yeah, I still have a copy somewhere :) although, it's too "anime" for me, could never finish it

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Alpha Protocol can still be saved with a good add-on. Obsidz just need to tighten a couple of loose screws here and there

With Bethesda as publisher, it could happen.

After all, they were mad enough to publish Rogue Warrior and AP is better than that one at least.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

if Sega doesn't hold the rights to AP (I don't know why it should, but stranger things have happened)

Walsingham said:

You can't rate JA2 high enough. If you try and rate it using any type of scale, you have already underrated it. On a scale of 1-10, it is an 11.

But really, it isn't as well known as a game like Xcom, and QfG also doesn't get the same attention as other adventure game series form that era.

This! Jagged Alliance 2 is probably my favorite game of all time. I think I have every fan mod available for it, and have played them all until their pixels are frayed.

Also, Gothic 3 is really a great game, my fave of the Gothic series. It's the sandbox game that Elder Scrolls wishes it had been.

Edited by ~Di

Secret of Mana 3 (Seiken Densetsu 3) literally the best in the series and no american release. Thanks to God for the Internet, translation groups and the emulators.

Edit: Speaking of old Snes games, anyone remembers Earthbound?

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Yes, but you should never miss a chance to mention Homeworld

True.

especially now when Relic is stuck doing the same boring space marine stuff in perpetuity.

Infidel. Dawn of war has been a great series, especially DOW2 and it's expansion.

Underrated games you like

The Stalker Series.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Edit: Speaking of old Snes games, anyone remembers Earthbound?

If there's one single game that's not underrated, then it's Earthbound. Half the internet wouldn't shut up about it a year ago when the Mother 3 translation was released. Ugh

Yeah but it's kind of just confined to the Internet, I have never seen anyone in RL or a magazine go about Earthbound. Actually scratch that, Earthbound was on Game Informer as one of the RPG cult gems or something like that.

Kind of reminds me: Shadow Hearts anyone? Legend of the Dragoons? feeling that JRPG nostalgia yet?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I have Legend of the Dragoon, never ever tried it. here's my investment into this thread: Heart of Darkness

Walsingham said:

Underrated in this forum or just in general? :)

Underrated by reviewers, underrated by gamers or underrated by "the market" (sales figures)?

Alternate Reality by Datasoft, Carriers at War by SSI, Fort Apocalypse by Synsoft, Lords of Midnight by Beyond, Reach for the Stars by SSG, Twin Kingdom Valley by Bug-Byte...

The world has just as much underrated games as it has overrated games :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Maybe the Hitman-a-like Death to Spies series, and The Darkness. The are plenty of games I like that might not be huge blockbusters but they've still got a large cult following so I wouldn't think of them as underrated. Of course maybe the games I listed have a cult following I'm unaware of.

I probably played SimFarm a fair bit more than any of the core SimCity games. Not sure how well it was actually rated back then though. Also enjoyed "light-sim" Strike Commander for bringing together Space Opera with conventional military sim.

And of course there's Ultima 8.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Tron 2.0

It was a fairly standard fps in mechanics.. but it managed to grab the mood and athmosphere of Tron rather well. The scattered emails and such just helped flesh out the feel of the universe.. Whilst the level design and look just made you feel like you were inside a computer.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have to mention Stranger's Wrath, while we're on the subject.

Walsingham said:

Fallout: Tactics

Loathed by the FO Taleban at the time, Tactics is a solid tactical squad-based wargame set in the FO universe. Build a squad and go on increasingly tough missions on ever-bigger maps using all the skills / perks / weapons you might expect to see.

It has a slightly annoying not-quite-turn based system but happily you can tweak it in the game options menu. The graphics are attractive and isometric. The game is agreeably bloody and sweary. And, yes, there is a Sherman tank you can cut about in which is super awesome.

I love this game. It is seriously underrated. If you are pining for a JA2-type game then this one is probably for you.

That is all.

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG