RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Maria Caliban

Thanks Labadal, that's good information. I guess that Japan's market is big enough to bankroll the new system.

I bought a PSP when it came out, but it just lacked games that I wanted in the first year, and eventually I traded it for a DS.

You forgot Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

I am disappoint.

TO: Let Us Cling Together already released in Japan, but yes I did forgot to mention it I guess. It did very well in Japan, selling 200k units. One of my most anticipated portable games of the year.

Seems way too speculative. While I have no particular optimism about TOR, I think speculating on the activities of people with no genuine insight kind of crosses a line of reasonableness.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

http://kotaku.com/5742537/hey-this-fallout...ie-isnt-too-bad

http://kotaku.com/5742666/why-dont-foreign...e+playing-games

Fallout fanfilm, and a discussion by japanese game makers about changing the style of jrpgs

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That's ebcause people always make the assumption that if a MMO isn't as big as WOW it's a failrue which is a bogus way of viewing things. A MMO doens't need WOW numbers to make money. That's ludicrous talk.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It needs at least 2 million subscribers otherwise EA will shut down Bio Austin.

Speculation? Based on the EA's past history? Or was this stated somewhere?

It needs at least 2 million subscribers otherwise EA will shut down Bio Austin.

Speculation? Based on the EA's past history? Or was this stated somewhere?

The EA boss himself stated in an interview that he's anticipating around 2 million subs.

Yeah...

But the second half of that is your personal speculation?

Not dismissing you, just wondering where you're coming from to make that statement.

my guess: TOR will succeed about as much as any other mmo in the past few years, and it will be micro transaction based within a year of release

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

my guess: TOR will succeed about as much as any other mmo in the past few years, and it will be micro transaction based within a year of release

I was pretty firmly against the micro-transaction model, until they implemented it into my favorite MMO, LotRO. The key is they still have a subscription model that gets you access to everything, and you accumulate points to spend on the extras over time. So a casual gamer can just pay the simple once a month fee, while a hardcore gamer can go nuts with bonuses to stats, xp, and travel.

wouldnt a casual gamer just play the game and not buy anything?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Casual gamer is more likely to play the MT model. Play the game for free, but occasionally get lured by "oh, well it's only a few bucks and I do enjoy it." Or so I'd think.

It's not like those candies at the checkout aisle are targeting hardcore shoppers. It's a "get them in, then taunt them with lots of cheap small transactions that they won't bother adding up."

Edited by Tale

wouldnt a casual gamer just play the game and not buy anything?

It depends on the gamer, but you can reach the level cap and the high level areas in most MMO's while playing very casually. I'm talking a couple hours a week or so. Sure, it takes longer, but with most games including rested xp, it happens. So I would guess most casual gamers in that boat would find it easiest to just keep a basic subscription that doesn't limit them, it's what I do.

The f2p model seems to be best for people that are trying the game out, or play very sporadically. I'd bet you get more hardcore players putting money into MT's than the f2p people. I know folks with 7 or 8 maxed out characters, multiple accounts, and all sorts of storage means, and they play every day for hours. They jump at the chance to maximize their time online with bonuses.

PSP has not been a failure. Things were bad on the software side in NA, and hardware wise it hasn't been great in NA the last two years, but it is thriving in Japan. It sells in great numbers and there is even a shortage becuase of the high demand. It was the bestselling gaming hardware last year (JP), and sales have been good so far. Sony has every reason to be happy with the machine, considering it was their first attempt on the handheld market. Despite the piracy, it survived.

There are also some very interesting games coming out that will push even more hardware:

Dissidia 2: Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy: Type-0

Valkyria Chronicles 3

And a few more games.

This... Because US and EU developers sucks donkey ass at making good handheld games, and most of the japanese developers CBA to release their games outside Japan, does not mean that PSP is a failure or is running out of business... Blame is here definately not on Sony

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Pete Hines Interview.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/26/interview-...-by-pete-hines/

I realise they are independent, but do you see Obsidian very much part of the future of Fallout now in any way?

Our involvement with them right now is Fallout: New Vegas and downloadable content. We

Edited by Bendu

Peter Hines Interview.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/26/interview-...by-peter-hines/

I realise they are independent, but do you see Obsidian very much part of the future of Fallout now in any way?

Our involvement with them right now is Fallout: New Vegas and downloadable content. We

Fortune favors the bald.