BioWare's New Game

Maria Caliban

But I also agree that coming to this forum and listening to people drone on about how horrible they are, how crappy they are, and imply that anyone who doesn't agree that said games are horrible and crappy must be some kind of mentally inferior jackwagon who wouldn't know decent writing and game design if it squatted on their foot and peed does tend to make me come here less often, and be less willing to post an opinion.

Hold on, let me get a violin for you. :shifty:

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Begone you intellectually inferior peon, you... at least post a link to Brahms or Liszt :ermm:

I wish I could write a formula for what makes me like a game and what not. I can list individual rules for likes and dislikes (mingames and QTE is teh suck, tactical combat good etc.), but not a complete recipe. Some games have just about awful everything, yet the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Oh we don't all think they're terrible games.

We just notice the flaws more.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Begone you intellectually inferior peon, you... at least post a link to Brahms or Liszt :ermm:

I wish I could write a formula for what makes me like a game and what not. I can list individual rules for likes and dislikes (mingames and QTE is teh suck, tactical combat good etc.), but not a complete recipe. Some games have just about awful everything, yet the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

There have been games that - honestly given my taste I *should* have loved but I didn't. And ones I should have hated that I loved.

That's what makes the entertainment field so frustrating, I suppose.

But most of what I come from is - was I entertained. Some games do it and others don't. I can talk about things I like and don't like, but ultimately there isn't (and probably can't) be an objective "if A + B exist then C" when it comes to games.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

But I also agree that coming to this forum and listening to people drone on about how horrible they are, how crappy they are, and imply that anyone who doesn't agree that said games are horrible and crappy must be some kind of mentally inferior jackwagon who wouldn't know decent writing and game design if it squatted on their foot and peed does tend to make me come here less often, and be less willing to post an opinion.

Wow. I'm sure chopping off the last line of my post was an inadvertent omission, since it would have made your sarcastic comment unnecessary and, well, silly. Let me fix that for you:

Fortunately there are usually a few intellectually superior types who agree with me, and make it all worthwhile. :ermm:

"If you agree with me you're smart and unique. If you disagree with me you're a moron."

Great way to build support. I sure feel inclined to take you seriously now!

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

true. I'm not supposed to understand. it just clicks with some people :ermm:

what I want to know is why? :shifty:

I wish I had an explanation why I've enjoyed playing it so much. I don't, I never do, not for ME(2), not for Deus Ex, not for Baldur's Gate 2. I just know what I like, and a bunch of internet know-it-alls won't change that for me. They might lessen my enjoyment for talking abou the games, but not for playing them.

This. I loved ME1 and I loved ME2. I've played them multiple times, and will continue to play them. Then again, I play all the games I love to death... Deus Ex, Baldurs Gate 2, Jagged Alliance 2, even Gothic 3! I can't explain why I get immersed in these games and enjoy playing them. It shouldn't really matter. Different people like different things.

Fortunately there are usually a few intellectually superior types who agree with me, and make it all worthwhile. :lol:

Internet forums do seem to bring out the grumpy bears in people. I agree with Nepenthe's comment about lessening the enjoyment of talking about games.

"If you agree with me you're smart and unique. If you disagree with me you're a moron."

Welcome to the Obsidian Forum Community!

Edited by Hell Kitty

Wow. I'm sure chopping off the last line of my post was an inadvertent omission, since it would have made your sarcastic comment unnecessary and, well, silly. Let me fix that for you:

Actually, I was just playing along with that comment rather than trying to be sarcastic or mocking to you.

Maybe I needed more smilies ? :shifty:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Internet forums do seem to bring out the grumpy bears in people. I agree with Nepenthe's comment about lessening the enjoyment of talking about games.

There's plenty of forums with non-cynical/bitter/jaded people out there.

It's probably the post-Black Isle Syndrome.

It is strange to come across optimistic people or cheerful ones. Makes one very uneasy. Poor deluded fools!

As an aside, I have complete faith that Dragon Age 2 will be an excellent game that I love to play. I will also enjoy the story and companions.

Actually, I expect several games in 2011 to be good.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

It is strange to come across optimistic people or cheerful ones. Makes one very uneasy. Poor deluded fools!

Party game time... guess who is employed as what :shifty:

Depression/Job relationship

adultdepressionfig1.jpg

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm sure I'm not the only one that enjoys the irony of the last page or so? :shifty:

I like fun games, I don't like it when games make me cringe with stupidity or overhanded pandering. *shrug* What I think always gets ignored is - when you have everyone 'bashing Bioware', there are usually going to be two things going on there - (1) Bashing for the sake of it, (2) Bashing because they've done something stupid/bad/detestable. You can criticise (1), but that doesn't make the (2) go away. Same with fanboyism, really, in most cases.

The ME series doesn't interest me at all and it looks boring - so I've hardly played it. So I won't presume to make extended judgments on them. But Bioware getting flack for using bland and boring screenshots to hype up ME3 as a "Mysterious New Game"? Bio does it they reap the derision, doesn't make everyone that comments an elitist.

if we can't rename this thread into Mass Effect 3, maybe we should move to a new thread? :shifty:

we're close to 500 anyway

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The ME series doesn't interest me at all and it looks boring - so I've hardly played it. So I won't presume to make extended judgments on them. But Bioware getting flack for using bland and boring screenshots to hype up ME3 as a "Mysterious New Game"? Bio does it they reap the derision, doesn't make everyone that comments an elitist.

Sounds to me like everybody here pretty much is in agreement with the last part of your post, the brouhaha is more over people proclaiming their capability for creating a clearly superior ending to the series over the one Bioware has chosen - or that the route chosen, is in fact, somehow "new" at this point. :)

I was in the same boat with you Tig. For a long time I had 0 interest in Mass Effect, I only bought it about a year and a half ago. In spite of it's flaws (it clearly was a new type of game for Bio, and they did mistakes that were partially fixed for PC, as seen earlier in this thread), it (and the sequel) have become two of my favourite games of all time. I'm starting to think that my initial skepticism, and the way the game managed to overcome that, play a big role in why I like it so much. And why I have such derision for people who pick at the nits with this game, I guess I just think they can't let go of their prejudices. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Please, an autistic kid can do a better ending for ME. I hear that they dream great TV series :)

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I did play about half an hour of the original ME1, and I ended up reading pretty extensive Let's Plays of ME1&2 - I was curious, and was prepared to pick up the copies if I found the LPs intriguing. In the past I've stopped reading LPs after a couple of chapters to go out and buy the game.

What I saw was a lot of really bland dialogue, generic sci-fi stuff that didn't always fit together properly, increasingly limited character customisation (I found KOTOR series pretty bad on that account too, actually - only saving grace was lightsabers), and way too easy, clunky combat. Didn't help that I'm not a fan of sci-fi. Certainly I think I gave it a fair go, and I can see how other people might get sucked into it - slick Bioware delivery, well fitted together gameplay mechanics to keep you going, etc.

I really haven't been following this. ME 3 eh? Too bad it wasn't BG3 or Kotor 3, something worth getting excited about.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

What I find impossible to understand is how Bioware ended with such a crappy RPG system in ME1 (the skill system is just not a good mechanic) and such a poor inventory system, even worse than the one in Kotor. They have been doing CRPG for ten years, you can imagine they would have taken a look at different PnP rpg systems to get some inspiration.

For the inventory system, lack of stacking of same items is just not acceptable. It would have been really easy to put a number close to the object to show the number of duplicates. It could also have been useful to have a sort function. It's not like those things are difficult to implement and are costly.

So instead of repairing what was broken in the RPG mechanics, they just removed all.

Fort the rest, I can of course excuse the poor shooter mechanic since they are not very experienced in this. Same for the lack of balance since it's a single player game and balance requires a lot of time.

And story wise, it's just the kind of story they like. Not really my kind of stories, but they try to put interesting elements even if some side quests were a bit tedious.

In ME2, the story was lacking, side missions were more contrasted with some interesting and some really boring. The RPG mechanics totally disappeared and the focus on psychological issues of crew members was a bit too much omnipresent. That and the corridor shooter experience. Boring.

So I'm not expecting something from this franchise which has been presented as sci fi but is just space opera and very star wars like without light sabers.

Certainly I think I gave it a fair go, and I can see how other people might get sucked into it - slick Bioware delivery, well fitted together gameplay mechanics to keep you going, etc.

FWIW, I didn't have you in mind when I mentioned people not approaching it with an open mind.

Also, can see the initial 30 minutes feeling pretty bad, certainly dependent on class. Oh well, not for everybody...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

There don't seem to be any non-cynical/bitter/jaded people wherever I post...

...oh my god, it's me innit? The problem is me...

:shifty:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There don't seem to be any non-cynical/bitter/jaded people wherever I post...

...oh my god, it's me innit? The problem is me...

:shifty:

NeoGAF's pretty chipper compared to all the old skool RPG depression pits...

I'm sure there are others too.