BioWare's New Game

Maria Caliban

Is the game actually playing on Earth or is this just another "Unite all races of the galaxy" hunt?

I don't think they've said yet. I imagine the game will mostly be out in the galaxy gathering allies, with Earth as the final mission, maybe?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I love how complaining about what BioWare have done to their plot is "bitching" while pointing out that the announcement was superfluous and absurd is not.

So, it's only bitching if you complain about things which have an impact on the actual game?

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

It might not be the perfect strategy, but clearly if the Reapers picked the perfect strategy, they could just release a 5-minute CGI movie describing the destruction of the galaxy, no gameplay necessary. :lol:

They should do that anyway. Have it play if you try to import a dead ME2 Shepard.

What is the chance that ME3 will be perhaps the first game ever where the player doesn't win, but the Reapers will ultimately blow up Earth and wipe out the rest of the galaxy?

A depressing end game from Bioware? Never.

If I put 100 hours into a game series, I expect a happy ending. I'd really be ticked off by anything else.

What is the chance that ME3 will be perhaps the first game ever where the player doesn't win, but the Reapers will ultimately blow up Earth and wipe out the rest of the galaxy?

If I put 100 hours into a game series, I expect a happy ending. I'd really be ticked off by anything else.

But if you put 2 hours into a movie it's okay if it doesn't have a happy ending.

I'm perfectly okay with a bad ending as long as it's done properly.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It's understandable that storyline should somehow reflect players acomplishments but insisting that ending should always be happy on account of work put into playing is a bad idea.

This can only lead to every game ending exacly in the same predictable manner making storylines supeflous.

The best/most memorable endings IMO have been the likes of Fallout1 and Planescape which stoped well short of "happy end".

"Whining might actually make things better, so yeah.

I mean, criticism is still criticism, and even if it's excessive it's better than blind fanboyism."

No.

"A depressing end game from Bioware? Never."

Actually. A drepessing end game from Bioware? It has happened. Why do people make stuff up?

Anyways, i found the video good in doing it's job. The way BIO announced it was fine as well as this thread is evidenced to. It got people talking which is the whole poiont of marketing.

People whined about DA's amrketing too and said it would cause DA to underperform.. yet, DA is one of only two BIo games to sell 3mil+. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Whining might actually make things better, so yeah.

I mean, criticism is still criticism, and even if it's excessive it's better than blind fanboyism."

No.

"A depressing end game from Bioware? Never."

Actually. A drepessing end game from Bioware? It has happened. Why do people make stuff up?

Anyways, i found the video good in doing it's job. The way BIO announced it was fine as well as this thread is evidenced to. It got people talking which is the whole poiont of marketing.

People whined about DA's amrketing too and said it would cause DA to underperform.. yet, DA is one of only two BIo games to sell 3mil+. L0L

My problem isn't the absurd presentation - I was expecting that.

My problem is the terrible direction they've taken the plot of the trilogy.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

This is just the continuation of ME's plot. The ME series was always a story about Shepard and the rise of humans in the galaxy because of his actions so its makes sense that Earth will be more central in the final chapter of Shepard's quest.

Plus, if you actually thought the reapers would be completely unbeatable.. it would make playing the game useless...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This is just the continuation of ME's plot. The ME series was always a story about Shepard and the rise of humans in the galaxy because of his actions so its makes sense that Earth will be more central in the final chapter of Shepard's quest.

Plus, if you actually thought the reapers would be completely unbeatable.. it would make playing the game useless...

I did not think that. I thought the reapers be beaten in a way that didn't make them look like a pack of morons. Unfortunately, it seems BioWare didn't really plan out a logical way for the galaxy to beat the reapers in the first place, so instead we got this **** - a plan B which couldn't have possibly worked, and a overly-dramatic but ultimately nonsensical attack on earth.

I also didn't think they'd shift the emphasis from humans being relative newcomers to humans being THE BEST ****ING THING IN THE GALAXY **** YEAH! It's childish and it robs the setting of much of its credibility.

There's a difference between humans playing a big part in the defense of the galaxy against an imposing foe, and humans rocketing into a position of supreme dominance over the course of two years. It's absurd.

Edited by Oblarg

It might not be the perfect strategy, but clearly if the Reapers picked the perfect strategy, they could just release a 5-minute CGI movie describing the destruction of the galaxy, no gameplay necessary. :p

They should do that anyway. Have it play if you try to import a dead ME2 Shepard.

Hey, that's a great idea! Then there would be at least some point for the suicide mission gone bad scenario.

I've said this at least once or twice, but what the hell:

Play as an rotten bastard through the trilogy and the Reapers win, or they are repelled with huge losses.

Play as an Jesus mk2 through the trilogy and the galaxy stands united and win.

. It got people talking which is the whole poiont of marketing.

:p I thought the point of marketing was to get people to buy stuff, not discuss it. I discuss iPhones with my friends all the time, but there's no way I'm paying 1000 dollars for a phone/organizer

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Actually, I take back what I said earlier. After all, Jade Empire does have a bad ending, provided one has the perseverance to click through twenty "Are you really sure? You're going to lose. Are you sure??" dialogue options.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Well some of us were kinda into the whole mecha-cthulhu thing ME1 had going. I gotta admit I don't really care for saving Earth - I don't have a particular attachment to my entire planet.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"