FO: NV (Spoilers)

About King.. I've always had a love for etymology, but I've never been able to find out where the word King originally comes from - I know King came to english (originally Cyning) via the Danish and we got it from German 'K
Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I changed the world base weight carrying capacity (and only the weight) because I don't really want a companion....and it feels they were supposed to be your traveling mules among other things...I did try Boone for a while & he's definitely good with a rifle but a couple hits in as many seconds from a Legion & he keeled over "unconscious" like a pantywaist. I couldn't click on him to make him take a stimpack or anything.

At the moment I don't want to constantly predict/protect followers & I already read/spoiled myself on NPC storylines so...back to the hotel for him.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have absolutly no problems with keeping my companions alive, as long as I don't storm straight into a big horde of enemies. And I play in hardcore mode, so my companions can actually die.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Oh I'm sure you can keep them alive if you're trying. I just don't feel like trying. It alters how one approaches the game/fights & right now I just don't wanna. :) Maybe a 2nd playthru.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

it depends. the first time for me Boone dropped was in Vault 34, but that's because of his stupid AI making him attack anything in sight with no way of stopping him. in narrow corridors he would usually get overwhelmed by ghouls including Glowing Ones, and there was no way to save him... the companion wheel can use an upgrade or two, that's for sure. I'd prefer a 'SWAT' type of dropdown menu, bound to a certain key, activated at any time, not only by targeting him. and I really wish I could exit the damn wheel by pressing 'E'...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Boone should be the easiest to keep alive. Since he absolutely murders anything that moves below a Giant Radscorp.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Since I like to often experiment a lot w/trying to kill things that are probably far above my level, a companion doesn't work too well. And yeah, confined indoor places would probably drive me nuts. Like I said, I know he's powerful with that rifle of his, often seeming to 1-shot from a distance if it's not a seriously badass monster but that's not enough for my 1st-run playstyle. heh

PS I don't use VATS much either, remember, so my playstyle is a lot of running and gunning backwards across half the map in order to take on 6+ Legions. I find that confuses companions a lot.

Edited by LadyCrimson

ED-E is a good companion for his perk and he lets you target invisible creatures in VATS. Just tell him to wait in front of a dungeon while you clear out everything and he should be OK.

Also, I finally encountered some low INT dialogue:

falloutnv20101027211855.png

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I have absolutly no problems with keeping my companions alive, as long as I don't storm straight into a big horde of enemies. And I play in hardcore mode, so my companions can actually die.

I'm level 16 right now. I had a hell of a time trying to get Rex to Jacobstown last night. Rex was fond of running off to go smack a group of Cazadors or the party of Legionaries that spawned near a farm. Rex was usually dead about 6-7 seconds after combat began. Finally got fed up enough that I bought a sniper rifle, left Rex behind and went hunting on my own to clear out everything ahead of me. Cazadors were one shot each. The Legion Assassins could take two if I didn't get a good first shot off, but the normal legion guys were only one shot.

I haven't bothered using any other companions because they're just way too fond of picking fights by themselves when you'd rather not engage enemies and there doesn't seem to be any way to call them off. :)

I don't get some of the quest design in this game. During a fetch quest for Camp Forlorn Hope, I was attacked by some Legion clowns and obviously defended myself which made my Legion standing plummeting from 'neutral' to 'hated' immediately. Then somehow not even 30 seconds later, several Legion Assassins spawned and attacked me because "Caesar himself had ordered it".

But then not much later it became completely mind-boggling that a Legion clown took me right into Camp Nelson to speak with the Denarus there... who didn't seem to care about my bad reputation at all, and just rattled off some lines and left me alone afterwards, allowing me to go outside and take out the entire camp. Afterwards, when I returned to the Denarus, he and his bodyguards were not even hostile.

Maybe it's a bug, or the game wants to force me to deal with the Legion in a peaceful way, but it doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

Boone should be the easiest to keep alive. Since he absolutely murders anything that moves below a Giant Radscorp.

I've used just Boone, Veronica and Ed-E, and have had to take 0 effort to keep them alive. Use Boone outdoors, Veronica in tighter quarters and hey, presto.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

All right, you all have convinced me. I'll give Boone another shot. He is definitely useful outdoors since he fires/kill things before I even notice (he's "got my back!"). Plus, y'know, I kinda like him. I'm a sucker for a tragic story, as well as a guy who really loves his beret.

Also: While running & shooting this guy, I started to feel like I might be killing Spock's angry, half-Romulan cousin. My guilt passed quickly.

falloutNV-018.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson

Before I set him to passive, I've had ED-E proudly charging into groups of golden geckos & young cazadores, and somehow winning (with a little bit of help).

If he dies, I'm in big trouble since he carries around all my loot.

Boone + ED-E is a damn deadly combination. Raul was pretty helpful too, I must say. Lily.. I used for like a couple of minutes, but she didn't seem impressive and she didn't suite my playstyle anyway. Still haven't tried Cass, Arcade and Veronica (I still have to find Veronica!).

Also, is there anyone that can clarify me if there's an explanation for the plot hole at The Fort?

I'm actually half-tempted to start a separate game on childishly-easy difficulty and let the companions do most of the killing while I take home videos. For amusement value.

Also, is there anyone that can clarify me if there's an explanation for the plot hole at The Fort?

You might need to clarify. I see no previous post recently from you on this topic and you're not quoting anyone mentioning a plothole. I have no idea what you're referring to.

Basically you know when Mr. House sends you in the bunker inside the Fort to upgrade his army with the Chip? Caesar gives you back the Chip and sends you to do the job without even thinking about sending one of his legionnaires there with you to check what you're doing. Granted, we could just assume that it's an error on Caesar's part, but it clashes quite a bit with his genius-like extremely charismatic character.

Right...

Well, maybe he shouldn't have given you the chip back at all!

can a moderator rename a thread?

Walsingham said:

I am still waiting for an answer to my question. I wasn't aware only moderators were allowed to start popular threads now. If that's the case, perhaps it should be in the rules.

I assumed they were trying to consolidate the NV posts into a few thread categories. The spoilers were definitely jumping all over the place in the previous threads. :rolleyes: (tho I think they still are a little, still...)

I've getting close to lvl 13 now.

Question: Are the Vaults something you can do as you discover them or are they quest related & I should leave them alone so I don't 'break' anything?

Edited by LadyCrimson

Whose idea was to sepia filter Forlorn Hope? Because that's a nice touch. It's always kind of jarring to hang out there, go in a door, and "holy crap, my hat is RED." So I go back outside and it's just so... bleak.

Question: Are the Vaults something you can do as you discover them or are they quest related & I should leave them alone so I don't 'break' anything?
A little from column A, a little from column B. There are various quests that ask you to visit various vaults. But you can do them early.

I'd warn you against visiting Vault 11 until the next patch. It may make the Lucky 38 hostile to you. And I'd warn you against visiting Vault 22 until you're doing something for Veronica, because that introduces a new option.

Edited by Tale