KotOR MMO epic fail?

TheHarlequin

Also, I truly hope they let players turn off those voices during the space combat. Not sure how many people will want to put up with the game telling them "good job!" in an annoying voice whenever they kill an enemy.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

PS The space combat looks nice but the mechanics behind it arent terribly impressive. It seems very much like an afterthought.

What TOR has, is not space combat. >_<

Yeah well I'm talking to Lady Bioware and trying to sound civil.

Can't say: "whats with that pos casual/arcade game thrown in where real gameplay should be" :p

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I don't know about DA but my prediction that the advertised PC Origins wont mean squat in game turned out to be right.

For obvious reasons, since that would make DA 10 games in one - when most devs have a hard time making one as it is.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I don't know about DA but my prediction that the advertised PC Origins wont mean squat in game turned out to be right.

For obvious reasons, since that would make DA 10 games in one - when most devs have a hard time making one as it is.

I disagree, my origin as a Dwarf commoner made quite a difference on the storyline.

The three playthroughs I did of DA really didn't vary all that much re: origin

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"I've stated why that's a crappy design goal that will result in a flop."

Like DA, right? Right.

Are you capable of doing anything other than strawmanning?

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

As a dwarf commoner, I got to return and help my sister and mother make a better life for themselves, I had to face my former best friend, and at the end of the game I was made a paragon. Pretty good stuff. I mean, did you guys expect entirely different plots altogether? Of course the main storyline was unchanged, that would make it a separate game altogether.

As a dwarf commoner, I got to return and help my sister and mother make a better life for themselves, 1 I had to face my former best friend, and at the 2 end of the game I was made a paragon. Pretty good stuff. I mean, did you guys expect entirely different plots altogether? Of course the main storyline was unchanged, that would make it a separate game altogether.

1 Exact same thing I did as a human mage.

2 How does that make anything different?

Its 2-3 hours of extra gameplay per origin, the beginning tutorial section and a smaller resolution later on. And its all happening in areas you've already turned upside down if you've been thorough.

Its exactly what I expected it to be and IMO its a complete waste of resources.

That's at least 10 hours of non-tutorial gameplay thrown out of the window.

logosig2.jpg

But what if without the origins there really would have been 10h MORE darkspawn whacking!? Stop scaring me!

As a dwarf commoner, I got to return and help my sister and mother make a better life for themselves, 1 I had to face my former best friend, and at the 2 end of the game I was made a paragon. Pretty good stuff. I mean, did you guys expect entirely different plots altogether? Of course the main storyline was unchanged, that would make it a separate game altogether.

1 Exact same thing I did as a human mage.

2 How does that make anything different?

Its 2-3 hours of extra gameplay per origin, the beginning tutorial section and a smaller resolution later on. And its all happening in areas you've already turned upside down if you've been thorough.

Its exactly what I expected it to be and IMO its a complete waste of resources.

Your best friend was a dwarf commoner ruffian?

Look, you went into the experience expecting it it suck, and it sucked for you. I'm telling you that it is your impression isn't shared by everyone. You weren't happy with it, I'm sorry to hear that. For me, I played the role of the dwarf commoner from the start until the end of the game. The game made it easy for me to stay in character, I never felt like I had become a human mage or an elven pansy. I was very happy with the origins.

But what if without the origins there really would have been 10h MORE darkspawn whacking!? Stop scaring me!

That's a serious and disturbing question.

@Hurlshot: I didn't say it sucked, merely that it was predictable. I've seen multiple starting points in other games and I believe its a bad design choice. The way they function is too transparent and similarly structured and it ruins my immersion. If I were to make a game, I'd never include them, unless I had limitless time and resources to screw around with.

But I wasn't actually talking about likes and dislikes. I was talking about the quantifiable impact the origins have. Eg: unique quests, time it takes to get through them, their unique content, influence on main plot, influence of characters etc..

Not how they made you, or me feel.

The fact of the matter is they have little to no impact on anything. Especially on the main storyline. They're flavor for increasing your gameplay experience - which you may or may not like. Either is fine.

logosig2.jpg

I am also referring to quantifiable impact, and there are separate quest lines, unique dialogue, different influences on characters, and the ending that is all influenced by your origin. It is your opinion that they weren't good enough, but they were there.

Affecting the main storyline, at least as dramatically as you seem to want, is an unrealistic expectation. That would make it six different games.

Quite a difference is not a minor difference.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"The fact of the matter is they have little to no impact on anything. Especially on the main storyline."

That's a lie. Your origin can effect so many things it's ridiculous. This has been argued multiple times before. Do a search.

One clear exmaple is how only human males only can become kings of feralden human femalesm need to be tricky to get the honour of being queen. Dwarven nobles can also become king of the dwarves depending on the CHOICES you make.

Origins in DA gave a lot more depth and variant play experiences than the silly strongholds in BG2 yet I bet the usuals would praise the strongholds to high heaven as an exmaple of BG2's supposed awesomeness. Even though they add absolutely NOTHING to the story, and only give you extra loot. Big deal. And, you can normally go through them with a different class anyways.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

PS The space combat looks nice but the mechanics behind it arent terribly impressive. It seems very much like an afterthought.

What TOR has, is not space combat. :(

Can't say: "whats with that pos casual/arcade game thrown in where real gameplay should be" :lol:

'Lady BioWare.'

I actually don't know what arcade game you're referring to. I haven't followed Dragon Age 2 or The Old Republic. I already plan on buying them and dislike the forums.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

What TOR has, is not space combat. :(

Can't say: "whats with that pos casual/arcade game thrown in where real gameplay should be" :lol:

'Lady BioWare.'

I actually don't know what arcade game you're referring to. I haven't followed Dragon Age 2 or The Old Republic. I already plan on buying them and dislike the forums.

Well you're the closest thing they have to a PR here. :*

The tunnel shooter that plays when you're travelling in space, between planets. Where your space fighter moves in a pre defined tube and all you do is target with the mouse. You must have seen the trailer?

logosig2.jpg

The tunnel shooter that plays when you're travelling in space, between planets. Where your space fighter moves in a pre defined tube and all you do is target with the mouse. You must have seen the trailer?

Apparently you get some control of movement within that tube.. as well as the shooting... And that sligth movement is why Bio are saying it's not strictly speaking a "rail-shooter"...

Basically, it sounds like a similar style of "brief, arcadey" mini-game that was in Kotor as the turret shooter. Not as something to take the place of the "proper" playing, but a short break from it... :(

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

You mean hyperspace?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

baw baw, it's a tunnel shooter

Lest we forget that the best Star Wars game of all time was a rail shooter.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Apparently you get some control of movement within that tube.. as well as the shooting... And that sligth movement is why Bio are saying it's not strictly speaking a "rail-shooter"...

Basically, it sounds like a similar style of "brief, arcadey" mini-game that was in Kotor as the turret shooter. Not as something to take the place of the "proper" playing, but a short break from it... :lol:

Did none of you guys play games like Starfox or Afterburner? I am not sure why people have such a hard time understanding exactly what the space sequences are in TOR.

Well you're the closest thing they have to a PR here. :)

I have not seen this trailer. The last one I saw was the CGI trailer with the female bounty hunter.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.