KotOR MMO epic fail?

TheHarlequin

WW1. And everyone knows Germans attack with Zeppelins, not blimps.

If TOR fails, I can almost guaranty a major shake-up at EA.

It's been pretty obvious that SW:TOR is going to flop for a while now - it may have had potential to do well (note I say do well, not be good) early on, but what they've revealed looks like a gimmicky mess.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

the only people willing to pay a monthly fee for a video game are too busy playing WoW to play this.

:ermm:

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

"It's been pretty obvious that SW:TOR is going to flop for a while now - it may have had potential to do well (note I say do well, not be good) early on, but what they've revealed looks like a gimmicky mess. "

Pretty obvious to who? The same brainiacs who felt that the DA marketing campaign sucked and that game was gonna flop? the same peeps who believe that ME series was just a KOTOR wannabe and it ended up being more successful than KOTOR ever was despite not being a well known brand?

L0LZ Internet geekz monkies make me laugh at their arrogance.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The MMO audience has been consistently growing for about 10 years without hitting a ceiling. There are plenty of quality games that have launched in the genre and done well. As for the quality of TOR, it is probably a year away from even being in beta, so it's a bit early to write a eulogy.

The MMO audience has been consistently growing for about 10 years without hitting a ceiling. There are plenty of quality games that have launched in the genre and done well. As for the quality of TOR, it is probably a year away from even being in beta, so it's a bit early to write a eulogy.

Actually it's in closed beta now.

http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=109426

While we have not announced a specific date, we can confirm that we are targeting a spring 2011 release for Star Wars

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

"It's been pretty obvious that SW:TOR is going to flop for a while now - it may have had potential to do well (note I say do well, not be good) early on, but what they've revealed looks like a gimmicky mess. "

Pretty obvious to who? The same brainiacs who felt that the DA marketing campaign sucked and that game was gonna flop? the same peeps who believe that ME series was just a KOTOR wannabe and it ended up being more successful than KOTOR ever was despite not being a well known brand?

L0LZ Internet geekz monkies make me laugh at their arrogance.

Morons spouting strawmen instead of offering any legitimate refutations make me laugh even harder, believe me.

There's a reason no one takes you seriously, Volo, and it's not because everyone on the forum other than you is an idiot (though it might have something to do with your apparent quote button allergy).

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

"Morons spouting strawmen instead of offering any legitimate refutations make me laugh even harder, believe me."

You've posted nothing that iss erious enoguh to refutue. All you've given is KOTOR OL will fail because you say so. LMAO that's dee, man, that's deep.

Your lame personal attacks are just hilarious!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What's the selling point? Unique feature?

Epic, cinematic story coupled with tight, slick immersive gameplay creating a rich, deep experience for the user.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

While we have not announced a specific date, we can confirm that we are targeting a spring 2011 release for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. We’ve got a lot of exciting updates and reveals planned throughout 2010, including the first-ever hands-on testing for the game. It’s not too late to sign up to be a game tester, so go to www.swtor.com/tester and sign up today. We can’t wait to share more about the game with you as we progress through the year, so make sure you stay tuned to the official website for details.

Post from the Devs on the official forums. Spring 2011 is getting close.

That post is from January this year though. Given that things are so low on the radar for public testing, I wouldn't be surprised if it slips past Spring 2011.

The unique feature is the incorporation of a storyline and a more player-story focused experience. It may work, it may not. I don't know. I think if there's a lot of content, it will work.

Edited by Thorton_AP

It's in closed testing. The TOR team is pretty insistent that it's not in beta yet.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

What's the selling point? Unique feature?

Epic, cinematic story coupled with tight, slick immersive gameplay creating a rich, deep experience for the user.

That would be the thing 95% of MMO players click next on.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Ok, how about : It's made by Bioware. Most people are clueless brand lemmings so that should do it. :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ok, how about : It's made by Bioware. Most people are clueless brand lemmings so that should do it. :)

Well for all my Bio bashing there's no denying their brand has so far signifed a slick, bug free, tried and tested (story wise, repeatedly) gameplay experience. Plus the SW license.

I suspect it will be an alluring package for most people. And it will be advertised like the second coming.

I don't know what it takes for an MMO to flop though. What turns away people that can stand thousands of hours of endless grind?

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Thousands of hours of endless grind. The more populous group is in WoW specifically to avoid that.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Really poor launch (marred by server instability, apparent bugs), continued server or service trouble. Could also be non-tangible things like poor combat or bad class design that makes it "unfun" to play a certain role, etc.

My opinion is that TOR will fly off the shelves. If WAR and Age of Conan can move over a million units in the first month, I'd say TOT can probably triple that. It will definitely come down to staying power, and we really won't know how good it will be in terms of retention until we at least see some action in the open beta.

WoW wasn't some behemoth in development. It wasn't until folks got into the open beta and realized what a polished gem it was that it really started to shine.

I'd say that TOR's greatest obstacle is having a clean launch and a polished game. The expectations are high. If they rush it, they are probably going to fail.

What's actually known about this game.

Not much. But game already has my money because it's 9-10 KotORs worth of content. I played WoW from 1 to 60 basically solo and I loved every minute of it. Later on I joined guilds, started rading and loved it too. I don't care if some of the features KotOR Online suck, as long as it's not complitely horrible (meaning from game mechanics to storylines, to group content to writing). I really disliked combat mechanics in KotOR and KotOR 2 and how unbalanced (and easy) those games were, but other features were so great that in the end games were worth their price and several complite runs. I expected same to happen with KotOR Online and monthy fee don't bother me at all untill all the content is used up. Then I just quit (just like in WoW).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Not sure if this has been stated, but how exactly does it work?

There are 6 classes, right? Okay, so does my membership fee per month mean I can play 1 class for that amount, or can I make as many different, simultaneous classes as I want for the one monthly fee?

I've never played an MMO so I don't know how the charges and account/class structures work.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Not sure if this has been stated, but how exactly does it work?

There are 6 classes, right? Okay, so does my membership fee per month mean I can play 1 class for that amount, or can I make as many different, simultaneous classes as I want for the one monthly fee?

I've never played an MMO so I don't know how the charges and account/class structures work.

They normally let you have a bunch of alternate characters on the same account. Some mmo's have charged for more, other's have had loyalty schemes that have given players access to more "alts" depending on length of account held.

From what it sounds like, Bio are pushing the idea of players re-rolling fresh characters of different classes as they finish the "class-story" arcs... So I'm guessing they'll give you a bunch of alternates from the get go.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Oblarg, It is a bit hypocritical to go after Volo about legitimate refutations and strawmen when your own statements don't really have any ground to stand on.

Does anyone here even know what a strawman is? Nothing I said was a strawman. Volo's entire post was.

And it's not just my opinion that the gameplay footage we've seen so far looks pretty crap - it's an opinion you'll find all over the place.