Goodbye GOG.com

taviow

Bought this 10 minutes ago. I own the first with its expansion since many years. And I have played BGII at a friends house, but I can now proudly say that I own it.

Arcanum

Fallout 2

Baldur's Gate 2

Vampire Bloodlines

My "retro rpg" backlog is killing me.

I'm sure that nobody here gives a damn, but GOG just got Baldur's Gate 2 :)
Added it to my account it! :)

Thanks for the heads up.

I have a feeling I would love Baldur's Gate 2 if I could stand the combat. It's like a modern version of Pool of Radiance and I loved that.

I once made it out of that first dungeon and into some sort of.. town. That's it.

I thought
was that.

Edit: **

If I'm not mistaken, the same company made Secret of the Silver Blades or Gateway to the Savage Frontier (don't remember which).

Edited by Gizmo

I'm sure that nobody here gives a damn, but GOG just got Baldur's Gate 2 :)
Added it to my account it! :)

Thanks for the heads up.

I have a feeling I would love Baldur's Gate 2 if I could stand the combat. It's like a modern version of Pool of Radiance and I loved that.

I once made it out of that first dungeon and into some sort of.. town. That's it.

I thought
was that.

Edit: **

If I'm not mistaken, the same company made Secret of the Silver Blades or Gateway to the Savage Frontier (don't remember which).

... Wha?

Pool of Radiance 2, that heresy, shall not be mentioned when I'm around.

Pool of Radiance (the REAL one), was the first part of a quadrilogy, the following installments were Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness.

The same firm, SSI, also released a Dragonlance trilogy, Champions/Death Knights/The Dark Queen of Krynn and another FR series Gateway to/Treasures of the Savage Frontier.

Yeah, those games, along with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade were essentially the only games I played from '89 until Fall 2000, when I got Baldur's Gate. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

At which point you realized how unplayable they were.

No, I'm not a gaming snob.

One doesn't become a snob by pointing out the obvious. I tried playing those games, and from todays perspective they're simply a chore. With no payoff.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

And 20 years from now, Baldur's Gate 2 will be regarded just as the Goldbox games are nowadays. Sic transit gloria mundi.

That said, though, I could never finish Death Knights of Krynn because that blasted Lord Soth just kept resurrecting himself and I never found a way to counter this, being in the pre-gamefaqs age.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Oh, I'll take RTWP over turn-based any day of the week, and those games didn't exactly have much in the way or C&C or even dialogue. But they were still pretty good for what they did, and if I had the time or inclination to spend that amount of time sitting in front of a computer screen as opposed to lounging in my sofa with a 40" tv and 5.1 surround system, I'd definitely be playing those games again (and BG2). But unfortunately, since I sit in front of a computer 10 hours a day at work, my gaming needs to pass the sofa test, these days.

Pool of Radiance (the REAL one), was the first part of a quadrilogy, the following installments were Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness.

The same firm, SSI, also released a Dragonlance trilogy, Champions/Death Knights/The Dark Queen of Krynn and another FR series Gateway to/Treasures of the Savage Frontier.

I still own the Commodore 64 versions of most of those games. It was such a hassle trying to buy these games in Kiruna (tiny town far, far north in Sweden) back in the day. I remember that when they stopped making them for the C64, that was the turning point when I gave up on computers for a decade.

I wonder if they'll be worth something some day?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I still own the Commodore 64 versions of most of those games. It was such a hassle trying to buy these games in Kiruna (tiny town far, far north in Sweden) back in the day. I remember that when they stopped making them for the C64, that was the turning point when I gave up on computers for a decade.

I have the mac versions - they had updated art and audio over the dos version... sigh.

Not sure how much correlation between age and value there is. I have a couple of copies of Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga which are apparently now worth hundreds of dollars each (when the RRP was actually half of a standard new release game) from 1997, whereas my five copies (yeah) of Ultima 5 have barely clawed their way back to the release price.

I also have two shrink wrapped copies of Wrath of the Lich King that I picked up for $45 each on clearance. Quick eBay check shows they're worth ~$200 each though that's just based off a couple of sellers, and the game is less than two years old.

Not a PC game but I also have a sealed Planescape campaign setting - wonder what it's worth....

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Mm, Ubisoft games from back when they weren't so evil. Maybe it's still lining their pockets but I'll just tell myself that I'm showing them the right way to do things - and because my copy of HoMM3 is a few hundred km away from me.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, pretty much the entire catalogue is on sale now (except Activision which will start within 3 days) - could probably rack up a couple hundred dollars worth with a 5 minute perusal of the list.

Not sure if it means anything but will very soon have more games on GoG than on Steam.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

thanks for the heads up, i was able to buy all the games i wanted on GoG and have been putting off buying for less than 35$

hurray for holidays!

my old laptop will be so happy with all the classic gaming soon to be gracing its hard-drive

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.