Fallout: New Vegas

J.E. Sawyer

I thought they were semi-hard. But that's because the only one I fought is the storypath one and there's a mininuke launcher nearby begging to be used that I have no points in. So I just keep missing. With a nuke...

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I thought they were semi-hard. But that's because the only one I fought is the storypath one and there's a mininuke launcher nearby begging to be used that I have no points in. So I just keep missing. With a nuke...

Even with a low Big Guns I found him easy to kill in vanilla. Modded version there was no nuke launcher at all, but it was still pretty easy since its AI was just so ridiculously exploitable.

I mean, I didn't die to him, but there's that panic when you launch a nuke from VATS and you see it sail right by him completely missing and your face contorts into a look normally only reserved for drivers license photographs.

So it's not difficulty. But still exciting.

I usually went at them with a shiskabob or a sledgehammer. Took quite a while and a lot of stimpaks. I would always take my armor off first since it did little good and was usually dust in just a few blows anyway.

The first time I encountered the one by the railway tunnel, I was only level 4 and it took me completly by surprise. I only survived because as I was backing away, my character fell off a rail bridge and the behemoth had to run around the slope to keep chasing me. Then I was able to cripple it with a landmine and since it couldn't run fast anymore at that point I was able to just keep tossing mines into its path until it died.

One of my Fallout 3 highlight moments. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Behemoths just have a lot of health, and the Dart gun turns them into harmless puppies. Feral Ghoul Reavers, Super Mutant Overlords & Deathclaws are the only enemies that can easily kill a high-level character (aside from the cheating enemies from Point Lookout) if you're caught unaware.

If you go to Galaxy News around level 15 with Broken Steel installed, several Overlords will spawn and completely own Sarah Lyons and her posse.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Dart gun is ludicrously overpowered. Once you take away the speed of high level enemies they become way less dangerous.

First time I made the dart gun I played around with it a bit until I realized how game breaking it was, the tossed it in a locker with the fatman, never to be used again.

edit: a much better implementation of the dart gun would be to have the effect be very short-lived and extremely slow-firing, requiring more tactical thought to its use.

But Bethesda is pretty ass when to comes to that sort of complexity with its combat mechanics.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

As far as new featuresattributed to theSPECIAL stats go, I've found some stuff. With CHARISMA you get something called "Companion Nerve" witch gives your companions buffs to damage and armor. With INTELLIGENCE, if you have INT lower than 4 you will get the "dumb" conversation options. With AGILITY that will affect how fast you draw your weapon, how fast you reload, and how fast your run speed is (also you do not have a penalty for running with a one handed weapon, only two handed ones). LUCK will affect "Enemy Mishaps" i.e. enemy shooting wide, grenades blowing up early, etc.

Comes from the guy leaking info about the Strategy Guide. I like what I'm seeing.

Excellent news that stats have more effect in the RW. Excellent.

Perception?

Critical failures are always great.

As far as new featuresattributed to theSPECIAL stats go, I've found some stuff. With CHARISMA you get something called "Companion Nerve" witch gives your companions buffs to damage and armor. With INTELLIGENCE, if you have INT lower than 4 you will get the "dumb" conversation options. With AGILITY that will affect how fast you draw your weapon, how fast you reload, and how fast your run speed is (also you do not have a penalty for running with a one handed weapon, only two handed ones). LUCK will affect "Enemy Mishaps" i.e. enemy shooting wide, grenades blowing up early, etc.

Comes from the guy leaking info about the Strategy Guide. I like what I'm seeing.

Must be fun to play a character with INT 1 and LCK 9.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

If there's a viable build there, it'd be great. The guy stumbling around stupidly while enemies kill themselves in his presence.

I'm sure I've seen that cartoon.

If there's a viable build there, it'd be great. The guy stumbling around stupidly while enemies kill themselves in his presence.

I'm sure I've seen that cartoon.

That was no cartoon, sir. That was my life.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I like what I'm hearing about the new music, when I first started playing Oblivion I used to think how cool it would be if they could have implemented a classic Lucasarts style iMuse system, Fallout 3 had better sound direction so it wasn't such an issue but I'm seriously looking forward to feeling the subliminal effects of morphing sound in New Vegas, Oblivion beat you over the head with about ten themes, over and over...

The article on the music is a very interesting read and I'm glad to see them pushing the envelope in terms of the role of music and how it can be applied in different types of games. It sounds like audio overall in New Vegas was given serious thought and I really can't wait to hear the results of that.

I didn't like the radio too much in F3 (at least not after it started repeating itself too much) so the regular soundtrack is a pretty huge deal for me.

EDIT: Also, in the Avault Podcast featuring Chris, he mentions that Obsidian dev teams are now divided between Dungeon Siege 3 and two unannounced projects.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Thread getting a bit long... while waiting for releases more Fallout here

;(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein