Discovery Channel hostage situation

Tale

Check any news outlet right now. I'm browsing a few.

Seems a man, identified as environmentalist protestor James Lee, has entered into the Discovery Channel headquarters and taken hostages. He has a "device" strapped to his body and reportedly a gun. He has an online manifesto demanding Discovery Channel change its programming to, among other things, support an anti-war and anti-baby agenda.

Reading the manifesto, the main thing I get out of it is that this man is quite emotional. And that makes the entire thing all the scarier.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Clearly a nutter. I didn't think there were any real Malthusians left!

The building is actually pretty close to my neighborhood. When I play basketball with co-workers, depending on where they drop me off, I sometimes end up waiting right in front of the Discovery HQ for the bus that takes me home.

I was completely unfamiliar with Malthus before reading about this. But the context of it frightens me. He's rather against humans in his manifesto, which leaves me uncertain on whether he respects human life.

Edited by Tale

Clearly a nutter. I didn't think there were any real Malthusians left!

The building is actually pretty close to my neighborhood. When I play basketball with co-workers, depending on where they drop me off, I sometimes end up waiting right in front of the Discovery HQ for the bus that takes me home.

I used to live in Silver Spring. I'd pass that building whenever I went to the movies.

About Malthus...

Anyone with a brain realizes that there is indeed an upper limit on sustainable human population.

The question is whether or not we are approaching that limit. Malthus was wrong in calculating the limit, as he could not anticipate the technological breakthroughs that would drastically increase food production, however technological increases can never grant us infinite food. Eventually we will hit the photosynthetic ceiling.

That said, this guy is a ****ing nutcase and forcing everyone not to have kids is a stupid and unfeasible solution.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Anti baby?

P.S. For a guy who is anti war, it's funny he's willing to murder people in cold blood. :x

His manifesto mentions how he wants Discovery Channel to promote sterilization and infertility. To stop idealizing birth and the birthing process. And keeps referring to human offspring as some equivalant of filthy.

Edited by Tale

And keeps referring to human offspring as some equivalant of filthy.

Clearly he's just extrapolating from what his parents should obviously have done... Sigh, gorram crazies.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

While I can understand a rational consideration of population growth concern, this guy is (imo) clearly a nutbag.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Supposedly the suspect has been shot and is in custody. All three hostages safe.

According to CNN banner.

Edited by Tale

Anti baby?

P.S. For a guy who is anti war, it's funny he's willing to murder people in cold blood. :x

His manifesto mentions how he wants Discovery Channel to promote sterilization and infertility. To stop idealizing birth and the birthing process. And keeps referring to human offspring as some equivalant of filthy.

Ahh, your basic eco terrorist nutter crying about mother earth and whatnot. How banal.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

And keeps referring to human offspring as some equivalant of filthy.

Well, aren't babies? HUH?

But yeah, nutcase.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

What's an 'anti baby' agenda anyway

for those who don't know this is basically that we shouldn't be constantly increasing our population and should work to lower the amount of people per generation. It's usually proposed by those who are seriously worried about overpopulation which I can understand.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

for those who don't know this is basically that we shouldn't be constantly increasing our population and should work to lower the amount of people per generation. It's usually proposed by those who are seriously worried about overpopulation which I can understand.

He was a bit more extreme than that. Here's some quotes.

"All programs on Discovery Health-TLC must stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants and the false heroics behind those actions. In those programs

It seems to me that someone who feels humans are all worthless should begin with himself.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

He was a bit more extreme than that. Here's some quotes.

"All programs on Discovery Health-TLC must stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants and the false heroics behind those actions. In those programs

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Supposedly the suspect has been shot and is in custody. All three hostages safe.

According to CNN banner.

Oh thank god the Mythbusters are safe.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

According to CNN banner.

Oh goddamn! the Mythbusters are safe.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

According to CNN banner.

Oh goddamn! the Mythbusters are safe.

I was thinking the same thing with regard to Kate Gosling.

I really dislike humans who hate humans as much as pychos like this do. How cna one be so full of hatred for their own species? Sickening. Any human whio is more pro animal/nature than pro human are scumbags.

P.S. that does NOT mean I support humans who abuse animals 'cause they make me sick too.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This debate rages in Australia constantly. Most Australians do not support the idea of a 'big Australia' and want to limit population growth.

Personally I think the ideal solution is for the government to cut all welfare funding which encourages people to have kids. If you can't afford kids within the regular welfare programmes of universal healthcare and welfare, don't have them, or work harder till you can afford to! The government should also actively campaign to educate people to only have 0 or 1 children.

This should accomplish a negative natural population growth rate. Then, skilled immigration should be used to maintain population growth at a static level - take the excess from other countries.

I full acknowledge this will cause economic hardship at first due to the aging population and skills shortage that would occur. But we can work past this through automation - Japan proves that.

I'm not sure if Japan has 'proved' it yet. The panic of the early 2000's about the ridiculously fast transformation in age demographics seems to have subsided, but I'm not sure if we're able to say so quickly and glibly that it's been dealt with. Japan is still on the brink of a massive social change... and the aging population problem will hit Korea, France, etc. too.