Discovery Channel hostage situation

Tale

Let's start with fundamentalists.

Gotcha. So, let me see here... you are not a fundamentalist, in fact you are the opposite of that. So what you are really advocating here is solving the excess population problem by killing off people whose social/politcal opinions you disagree with. Does that about sum it up? It's ok, you can admit it.

No need to be condescending, that's exactly what I mean, and I feel zero shame in admitting it. Not only am I personally radically opposed to fundamentalism, its inherent irrationality is keeping back the progress of mankind as a whole. But that is another discussion.

My personal gripe with fundamentalism aside, another good start might be to not keep the weak and crippled alive, and by extension anyone who takes up more resources compared to what they contribute to this world. Sustainable ecosystems (and thus the planet) are those where things are nicely kept in balance, so let's get rid of the leeches can we?

Anyway, there's no denying it's a dirty job (at least from an ethical pov), but someone's got to do it eventually (from a realistic pov), whoever the victims will be. That or we're *all* sinking with the ship.

Edited by Pope

Who knew, that guy had the right idea all along.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Those of you who have asked me why I own so many guns (eight in all) and so much ammunition (over 4000 rounds of .308, .44 Magnum, and 12 GA shotgun shells) just read the last two posts. If people like Pope and Malcador ever actually get the political power to do what they think needs to be done, I suggest they send well armed and unmarried men with no families to think of when they come for me. I will not go without one hell of a fight. Heck I've been preparing for that for years anyway.

And prople like them have gotten politcal power in the past, I'm sure they will again.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm not sure tackling fundamentalism, which is an idea is going to happen by lining up thousands of people and shooting them.

I'm going to suggest fundamentalism occurs when you either don't think enough, or you think too much. Which means you need two completely different game plans to fix it.

Suggestions?

EDIT: GD

I don't know how to view your arsenal there. Surely we both know that if the Feds decided to crack down on you under some sort of neo-communist super-plan then you'd be screwed. Smal arms would just give them an excuse to predator your house. I'm not having a go at you. I just think if you're sure it's going to happen spend the money on surfing or something fun.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

EDIT: GD

I don't know how to view your arsenal there. Surely we both know that if the Feds decided to crack down on you under some sort of neo-communist super-plan then you'd be screwed. Smal arms would just give them an excuse to predator your house. I'm not having a go at you. I just think if you're sure it's going to happen spend the money on surfing or something fun.

At that point futile gestures are all that is left to anyone who desires only to live in freedom. But as far as the ammo goes, I do my own reloading/pressing. I have enough brass, projectiles, and propellant to make that much but it is not all put together right now. You would be shocked how cheap it is though. If you buy in bulk and make use of surplus auctions. For example a box of fifty 240 grain, copper jacketed .44 magnum hollowpoints costs around $40 retail. I can load around 150-175 on my own for that much.

But firearms are not the only defenses that can be employed in an emergency. For example you would be absolutely amazed at what you can make using nothing more than a few empty peanut butter jars, a box of nails, some saran wrap, a 9V battery, and a few common household chemicals mixed in the proper proportions.

Isn't a military education a beautiful thing?

:lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Those of you who have asked me why I own so many guns (eight in all) and so much ammunition (over 4000 rounds of .308, .44 Magnum, and 12 GA shotgun shells) just read the last two posts. If people like Pope and Malcador ever actually get the political power to do what they think needs to be done, I suggest they send well armed and unmarried men with no families to think of when they come for me. I will not go without one hell of a fight. Heck I've been preparing for that for years anyway.

And prople like them have gotten politcal power in the past, I'm sure they will again.

Geez man, why the paranoia? You a fundamentalist or something?

All joking aside, Wals is certainly right in pointing out that the problem of fundamentalism won't be solved with violence. In fact I am quite aware that such actions would only make it more radical. I just jokingly named fundamentalists as a candidate for elimination because of some personal gripes with them and their ideas. But again, that is another discussion.

Back to the discussion at hand, the best way (in theory) to reverse overpopulation (which imo we've already reached) would be birth control. One child per family. Good luck on implementing such a rule though.

And Guard Dog, no one is coming for you. If anything, they'll be coming for your food supplies once those get scarce. With human population growing at its current rate, there *will* be conflicts for resources. It's a law of nature. I commend you for wanting to protect yourself in such situations, but you need not fear, we're still a while off. Enjoy these days while they last people, for mankind is facing a difficult future. This James Lee guy realized this and had the balls to spread the message. Sadly, the way he did it was retarded.

Edited by Pope

Don't get me wrong, Pope, old boy. A few missiles here and there are bound to be handy. But the bulk of the thing is memetic (or something).

As for the guns etc, if we know one thing it's that you are your own man, GD. Just don't go kicking off too early and kill some poor bloody sheriff, or get yourself banged up for possessing IEDs.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Plus if it really gets bad childbearing will become a privilege, with payments for license and such. So much that only those with the means to properly care for themselves will be the ones that have children.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"Enjoy these days while they last people, for mankind is facing a difficult future. This James Lee guy realized this and had the balls to spread the message."

What he did took no balls. It doesn't take balls to take a bunch of people hostage when you have a gun. He's a the true defintion of a coward.

"Enjoy these days while they last people, for mankind is facing a difficult future."

Meh. By the time any of these scenarios happen (even if they do which I doubt), I'll either be long dead or so ancient I won't care. *shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Plus if it really gets bad childbearing will become a privilege, with payments for license and such. So much that only those with the means to properly care for themselves will be the ones that have children.

Enders Game?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Enders Game?

That'd be awesome. Then we get into a war with some aliens, FTL communication, eventually FTL travel, and we all discover the Mormons were right.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

...and we all discover the Mormons were right.

Maybe I missed that bit, it has been awhile since I read the book, but where was this? I know Card is Mormon but I didn't really see direct connections in Ender's Game when I read it... :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

In the first book it's not that prevalent, but later books have everyone taking on mormon ideals and having fantastic lives.

If you wanna see him get REALLY preachy on the subject, read Folk of the Fringe or the Enders Shadow series.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'd heard that the entire concept of Philotics and aiua has its root in Mormonism. Never studied Mormonism so I could be completely wrong.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

"Enjoy these days while they last people, for mankind is facing a difficult future. This James Lee guy realized this and had the balls to spread the message."

What he did took no balls. It doesn't take balls to take a bunch of people hostage when you have a gun. He's a the true defintion of a coward.

"Enjoy these days while they last people, for mankind is facing a difficult future."

Meh. By the time any of these scenarios happen (even if they do which I doubt), I'll either be long dead or so ancient I won't care. *shrug*

Being completely ignorant to the problems of a planet you owe your life to doesn't take any balls either.

"Being completely ignorant to the problems of a planet you owe your life to doesn't take any balls either. "

*shrug* I'm sure the earth will get its revenge on me when its responsible for my death. I owe my future murderer nothing. Not to mention all the mass murders it commits on a daily basis.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

No one would have given Joseph Smith the time of day if he had shown up today talking about God and Jesus revealing to him that the native Americans were descendants of Israel.

They did it with Ron Hubbard.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

No one would have given Joseph Smith the time of day if he had shown up today talking about God and Jesus revealing to him that the native Americans were descendants of Israel.

But he did start with a following of his own anyway....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

But he did start with a following of his own anyway....

So did Jesus, a thousand years from now Ron will also have no faults.

village_idiot.gif

"Being completely ignorant to the problems of a planet you owe your life to doesn't take any balls either. "

*shrug* I'm sure the earth will get its revenge on me when its responsible for my death. I owe my future murderer nothing. Not to mention all the mass murders it commits on a daily basis.

What a sad way of looking at life. If you don't enjoy living, please stop wasting the resources for those of us who do.