Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

Contrary to that George Ziets has plenty of respect in the rpg community since MOTB. (And very well deserved)

Yeah, but remember what Ziets' record was before MotB? That's right, MMOs :) You can't always judge someone's writing from its previous work apparently.

I mostly found humour in the way Bethesda's designers played with the surroundings and the props in Fallout 3. If you looked around, you'd notice there was a lot of detail everywhere, even in what might look like a generic ruined building on a prairie somewhere. It's not the same humour as in Fallout or Fallout 2, but saying there's no humour is wrong.

One of my favourites was the store where someone had put almost every object in the store as sort of a giant domino puzzle. If you let it fall, it triggered some sort of trap at the end. Unfortunately, I never could get it to work properly (as in me getting in the door, stepping on the pressure plate and setting off the domino trap from beginning to end).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Running animation is much improved. Too bad there's nothing to be done about the gliding.

Still doesn't have foot locking... :(

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Contrary to that George Ziets has plenty of respect in the rpg community since MOTB. (And very well deserved)

Yeah, but remember what Ziets' record was before MotB? That's right, MMOs :( You can't always judge someone's writing from its previous work apparently.

That... was kinda the point.

I said we CAN'T judge Gonzalez as a lead writer as of now because he never really did rpg's (which means a gerne that largly focuses on dialog/story) before. We couldn't judge Ziets either before he did MOTB because MMO's are an entirly different narrative (And I'm not even sure he was the lead on them).

Edited by C2B

I thought Beth did quite well with their stuff in Morrowind. The guy falling from the sky, the Indiana Jones egg.

Yep, I was referring to post MW-Bethesda though. :(

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

On the side note, trying to get a hold of a two and a half minute long video from PAX. Zenimax took it down from YouTube, but I asked the uploader to get it on megauploads or something similar. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Any news on that already? Two and a half minute aren't long, but I am tensed anyway. :>

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

why all this secrecy, Beth? jeez. the game is almost due

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

As for the 50s thing who took it too far? Beth? Well thats a valid argument.. not sure I agree but one thats debatable. However with BIS/OE now doing this FO I wouldn't begin to argue of their vision. They designed it they get to say what FO is or isn't. As for the BLACK humor thats been a staple of FO so how anyone can argue thats not FO is beyond me. I think beth however on this level tries too hard and over reached their ability with black humor writing. A for effort but about a C on execution. I think OE however will get the subtle black humor back on track and not over do it but also not try so hard and make it too obvious like beth did in fo3.

I think you and others are too hung up on the serious side of FO.. the mad max side if you will you forgot what made FO unique.. was the dark humor.. and poking fun at itself and subtle inside jokes. I think the elvis thing fits great with the type of dry and dark humor the first 2 had. After the bombs fall what survives? A army of elvises! Thats priceless!

I actually like the fact that each Fallout has a clearly different take on the universe, though for the most part, similar enough that they're not... you know, they're more like different angles that accentuate different things, rather than violating each other's canon. FO1 was the most 'sombre' of them all, FO2 went zany and pop, FO3 decided to put the 50's aspect into very sharp relief. I mean, there are problems in the sense that the FO3 world could have avoided making so many small lore-contradictions, and that they butchered the BOS for no reason other than to make "cool wasteland jedi knights yarr", but I think it did a good job in giving FO3 a strong and consistent identity.

It depends on your priorities. As Starwars says, if you were there at the time and/or read up on the developer comments and such, it's quite very clear what the original devs' vision was, and it's quite clear that FO2 diverged a fair bit from that, and FO3 very much from it. I just think that with a game franchise, and a long-lived one like this, you'll never really get a consistent auteur vision even if you get Tim Cain back on the project, and I like seeing the different take each game does, as well as it's well done and is sensitive to what came before.

The issue which is the root if the problem is the fact beth and BIS/OE have very contrasting writing styles, skill levels and view points. Its the same reason the tv show the west wing went downhill after the 4th season. The main writer left the show, some other people took over and the 5th season the characters took a totally different tone as did the story lines. Same different here while some of the staff from fo1 were still around for fo2 thus the tone didn't change a huge amount but beth started with all new crew so the changes in tone and style certainly are more in your face and obvious. I stand by my opinion the style of fo far exceeds the writing skill of the beth ppl which seem more at home writing their 49th fed ex quest for morrowind then a dark humor post apoc setting.

I will however in fairness disagree and defend their BOS of DC. Really they couldn't keep the isolationist mentality of the west coast BOS and survive. So to me it made logical sense for them to open up their ranks. While they might have taken the protect the DC area a bit too far even under those conditions I could see them naturally moving in that direction as their ranks got filled up more and more with DC recruits and the old school west coast ppl died and were replaced. Thats old school way of thinking would slowly get replaced over time.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I mostly found humour in the way Bethesda's designers played with the surroundings and the props in Fallout 3. If you looked around, you'd notice there was a lot of detail everywhere, even in what might look like a generic ruined building on a prairie somewhere. It's not the same humour as in Fallout or Fallout 2, but saying there's no humour is wrong.

No one is saying there was no humor that I read. We are discussing beths ability to deliver the same quality subtle black humor in fo 1 and 2. They did TRY for that, however it seems most ppl here felt they fell short simply because they don't have the writing chops for the same level as fo1 and 2. Like I said before, A for effort.. about a C- on execution.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

The bits about enemies having different fighting styles and weaponry are fairly promising.

Combat was one of the aspects that had to be improved from Fallout 3 and it looks like Obsidian is doing a fairly good job at it.

Hopefully the final game will live up to Josh's promised awesomeness.