Fallout: New Vegas

i have a feeling survival will be super useful when playing hardcore mode, but won't have a purpose in regular mode. then again, thats based on the assumption that stimpacks are even half as abundant as they were in fallout 3...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Perks every two level? And we can set the value in the GECK?

****. YEAH. (I know the first word will be censored but you still know it).

Also, the combat system sounds like has been made really deep and involving this time.. definitely some welcome changes there.

Also, nice to see that we'll see some animations overhaul, especially concerning super mutants, and that the nightkin were placeholders too. :sorcerer:

Also.. one humanoid and non-humanoid companion? Hum, I guess that will give us less issues when controlling them, but I was hoping it was tied to charisma like in FO2.

Whatever, good news is good! :p

The news is good.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The Project Director on Fallout: New Vegas, Josh Sawyer, came to Black Isle Studios to be the web guy on Planescape: Torment, but after seeing his work in posing for one of the original D&D modules (no joke), we had to bring him over as a designer on pretty much every one of our projects after that

"Posing for"? Like, as a model?

Will the PC retail game be able to be activated via Steam?

From @litrock via Twitter

Jason Bergman, Senior Producer at Bethesda Softworks: Yes. Fallout: New Vegas will fully utilize the Steamworks SDK. This means that retail PC copies will activate via Steam. We are also using Steam for achievements and other features (but not multiplayer, of course. FNV remains a single player only game).

Does that mean even if I buy it from a store I will be forced to sign up for Steam? That sucks, Id rather not have that crap on my shiny new rig.

Edited by Gfted1

Its not the DRM thats an issue, I really dont care about that, I just dont want unnecessary bloat on my PC. If it was simply the disk calling home upon the first install I would be cool with that but I dont need some third party crap monitoring my every move while playing. You know, so they can track my achievement for me. :sorcerer:

I already use Steam, so it doesn't bother me, but I can understand why some people don't like it.

Then again, maybe you can simply avoid using Steam if you don't want achievements?

I guess that will need clarification.

EDIT : And clarification indeed was given, though some will be pissed off.

Jason Bergman :

Fallout: New Vegas uses Steamworks for achievements and other features (such as friends lists, cloud storage of user preferences and so on). Use of Steam will be mandatory at retail. So what does that mean? We’ve implemented Steamworks in as light and unobtrusive a way as possible. Yes, you will have to install Steam when you install Fallout: New Vegas if you don’t already have it. And yes, you will have to be online at the time of that initial install. However you can install the game on as many systems as you want (with no restrictions!), and you do not have to be online to play the game after your initial activation. Not only that, but once the game has activated on Steam, you can throw out the game DVD entirely and just download the game over Steam. If you don’t even have a DVD drive, you can just take the CD-Key from the box, enter it into Steam, and download it without ever using the disc at all.

For those concerned, this will have no affect on mod development whatsoever. Modders will still be able to create and distribute their plugins the same way they have in the past.

We made the decision to use Steam after looking at all the various options out there and decided that it provided the best, least intrusive experience for PC gamers. We think you’ll agree.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

So obviously that indicates the need for an always-on connection, right? It cant track you if it isnt on. Meh, this combined with the still present bad taste in my mouth from my bug riddled NWN II experience (which already had my sitting on the fence regarding this game) is almost a deal breaker for me. Guess Ill wait to see how it pans out. :yucky:

EDIT: Just saw your edit. Double meh.

EDIT2: It doesnt address whether or not you will always have to be online to track achievements but there isnt any other way is there?

Edited by Gfted1

EDIT2: It doesnt address whether or not you will always have to be online to track achievements but there isnt any other way is there?

No, you won't have to be online while playing it, and you'll still be able to do achievements. I'm sure of it because I've been using Steam for months.

If you have a shiny new rig, the "bloat" from Steam will be virtually non-existent.

Ironically, they could allocate the exact same amount of memory and processor cycles to have the actual game monitor your progress for achievements, and I doubt people would actually care in that case.

And the "achievement tracking" doesn't require the user to be online (as previously indicated).

Edited by Thorton_AP