What are you playing now

Gorth

So comparing Casablanca to Lost In Translation or Godfather to Departed is the same as comparing Doom to Half-Life 2 or Final Fantasy to Mass Effect?

Games are fundamentally different because the games change radically with the technology while movies don't.

Ehm... ever seen Pocahontas or Avatar??? now say again that technology does not change in movies...

And Doom comletely destroys Half-Life 2 in gameplay, fun, multiplayer and replayability...

This is exactly my point, the technology changed from Pocahontas to Avatar, but the story and everything else remained practically the same. Going from FF to ME, everything changed, the genre is portrayed completely differently because of the improvements in technology.

Also whether you think HL2 is a good game or not, it is clearly an evolution of the FPS genre and radically different from Doom, for example.

Writing in Deus Ex is far from perfect as I've already said in other threads (story structure, dialogue etc. without even mentioning voice acting) but, the industry standard is still as low as ever. :sorcerer:

And this...

Ah, the tallest midget argument, the writing might be good for a videogame, but shouldn't we set our standards a little higher?

So comparing Casablanca to Lost In Translation or Godfather to Departed is the same as comparing Doom to Half-Life 2 or Final Fantasy to Mass Effect?

Games are fundamentally different because the games change radically with the technology while movies don't.

Ehm... ever seen Pocahontas or Avatar??? now say again that technology does not change in movies...

And Doom comletely destroys Half-Life 2 in gameplay, fun, multiplayer and replayability...

Whilst movies also are technology driven they can do without, you can have a good movie without much technology. Making a good game with outdated tech is harder.

The Godfather is a movie that transcends generational differences, others are landmarks in special effects or cinematography. Games are different because:

1-The hardware becomes outdated after a few years and actually playing these classics is difficult.

2-As the technology progresses some things are left behind, e.g. Isometric view is not widely used in RPG's as it was once, mostly because graphic generator have improved.

3-Classic games are different from classic movies. StarWars, Aliens, and Jaws are movies that feature a lot special effects yet they don't become out dated because of the way in what they were used elevates them. Classic games fade out into the memories of fans after a few console generations pass.

Relating to my previous point; Cinema is less "fixed" you can mix and use different techniques and style and make a quality story. Games are less versatile, a shooter or action game won't have a isometric view, or have turn based systems.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

2-As the technology progresses some things are left behind, e.g. Isometric view is not widely used in RPG's as it was once, mostly because graphic generator have improved.
Isn't that true for movies too though? You won't see stuff like
nowadays.

Also actors make or break movies while in games the quality of the "actors" is limited by the technology.
More like budget in this day and age. Edited by Oner

Games are less versatile, a shooter or action game won't have a isometric view, or have turn based systems.

Bulls**t.

Alien shooter, and Alien Breed Impact... Are a couple of isometric shooters that spring to mind.

If you make a shooter turn based, you get something like Jagged Alliance, which is also isometric.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Eventually we will hit a plateau in computers, where the technology won't change enough over a decade to render games obsolete so quickly.

That, I think, is the day computer games start to develop. Once nobody is talking about the dang tech and the dang graphics, once all that is just taken for granted, then developers can start actually making interesting games.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Games are less versatile, a shooter or action game won't have a isometric view, or have turn based systems.

Bulls**t.

Alien shooter, and Alien Breed Impact... Are a couple of isometric shooters that spring to mind.

If you make a shooter turn based, you get something like Jagged Alliance, which is also isometric.

I wouldn't call those games shooter that would be like saying that Fallout was a shooter, just because you could aim a gun. They are called FPS for a reason.

@Oner: what you say did cross my mind but the fact of the matter is that those movies are still available, either by re-release on another format or on an archive. The same is not done with games that I know of, even with the emulators there is few people interested on old games.

With cinema there is a formalization of what caused changed and it's studied, a movie that may have been relevant at the time because of it's special effects may still be relevant to someone studying cinematography. Games are different, that structure is not yet present.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

@Oner: what you say did cross my mind but the fact of the matter is that those movies are still available, either by re-release on another format or on an archive. The same is not done with games that I know of, even with the emulators there is few people interested on old games.

With cinema there is a formalization of what caused changed and it's studied, a movie that may have been relevant at the time because of it's special effects may still be relevant to someone studying cinematography. Games are different, that structure is not yet present.

GoG does update it's games to at least run on the current Windows', if nothing else.

I'm fairly sure there was a 'How to make video games?' kind of (free to attend) class in university, though I couldn't visit it. As you can guess, the attendance list was full as soon as you could register.

Bulls**t.

I wouldn't call those games shooter that would be like saying that Fallout was a shooter, just because you could aim a gun. They are called FPS for a reason.

Hold on you're actually claiming that a game called Alien Shooter, isn't a shooter... Please.

They're called "First Person Shooters", because they're "First Person", much as with books and perspectives in regards of prose. Shooter is generic, and applies to a pleathora of games over the years. You saiid " Games are less versatile, a shooter or action game won't have a isometric view, or have turn based systems.", this is BS.

Fallout is an RPG, the combat involves turn based shooting, Fallout 3 is an FPS/RPG, a hybrid.

Making a good game with outdated tech is harder.

You should then check some quality NDS and PSP games, outdated graphics, godly gameplay... But play only japanese, because westerners suck donkey balls at this...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

A friend stuck me a copy of Metro 2033 and Im just blown away, its so incredibly well-made.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

@Oner: That still doesn't change the fact that aside from nostalgia or curiosity, there is not much reason to go back and revisit them. Or in the case of the younger generation, to actually play them through.

@Nightshape: Let's not argue semantics, shooters have had isometric or linear views. FPS won't have a turn based system.

@Mammoulian: They are a dying breed, which is a shame. I do love old school JRPGs

village_idiot.gif

@Nightshape: Let's not argue semantics, shooters have had isometric or linear views. FPS won't have a turn based system.

... I'm tempted to just say... VATS lol.

I just want to be clear on the fact that games are infact more versitile than movies, and its simply a matter of sales.

A FPS which was turn based could be made, but I doubt it'd sell all that well...

@Mammoulian: They are a dying breed, which is a shame. I do love old school JRPGs

They are dying breed in the west... In Japan for Example last three month sales was lead by PSP, and they do get 3-4x more games on handhelds like we do here... Western Developers are just all over the AAA games, and then they are crying about high costs and low sales...

Almost every Japanese company does lower budget handheld + high budget AAA games... And you read much less about their finnancial problems... Westerners for some reasons suck at doing lower resolution Wii games aswell... What a wasted commercial opportunity...

A FPS which was turn based could be made, but I doubt it'd sell all that well...

Hmm wasn't something like that already made? Space Hulk comes to mind, but i realy do not remember that game very well, and kinda lazy to google for it atm -_-

Still playing Storm of Zehir. Busy building a merchant empire on the Sword Coast. I wonder if I'm just easily amused or something, but I really like the game so far. Lots of litle things to do, small "dungeons" to discover and the odd more elaborate location (I found Umberlee's temple quite stunning). Haven't had a chance to try out all the cohorts yet. Wonder if the Septimus (sp?) the Doomguide shows up later again.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

SoZ is awesome, nuff said... i realy love all the things you are able to do in this game... i just wish Obsidz could get chance for on more expansion and combine the awesomness of MotB with all the bells and whistles of SoZ :sorcerer:

I'm juggling between Dragon Age: Awakening, Red Dead Redemption, and Smackdown vs Raw 2010.

First two are awesome, though RDR is buggy as hell. I didn't play SvR 2009, but the fight mechanics for 2010 are better than 2009, and the character creation results are nicer, but the story mode is weak as hell. I was hoping for an improvement over SvR2008, but they went backwards instead.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

They are dying breed in the west... In Japan for Example last three month sales was lead by PSP, and they do get 3-4x more games on handhelds like we do here... Western Developers are just all over the AAA games, and then they are crying about high costs and low sales...

That's because the Japanese have been perfectly happy playing practically the same game over and over for the last 20 years. There's hardly and innovation which probably helps keep the costs down.

Edited by Purkake

That's because the Japanese have been perfectly happy playing practically the same game over and over for the last 20 years.

You decided this all by yourself?