What are you playing now

Gorth

...because that's what I said.

Same overused save-the-world plots, nonexistent or pants-on-head crazy characterization, the same turn-based combat system 90% of the time, hours upon hours of grinding. The genre is stagnant.

Same overused save-the-world plots, nonexistent or pants-on-head crazy characterization, the same turn-based combat system 90% of the time, hours upon hours of grinding. The genre is stagnant.
So you did decide this all by yourself.

I disagree with hurshot's comparison of Splinter Cell to Alpha Protocol, Splinter Cell was more of a puzzle game(What do I need to do in order to get past this area,)with difficulty level determining which solutions there were and how many tries you would get before dying(an exeption is the newest game which looks like an action game ), where it looks like Alpha Protocol is about having a different experience each time it is played based on what choices they made with a Roleplaying game/ spionage gameplay style/setting. Well, unless I got confused and your comparing how both series(if you considering all of Obsidians game to be one) have changed over the years.

I do not understand why Metacritic is used to determine a games quality, if anything it is simply a way to tell which game is the most popular(which would explain why some developers might use it in order to determine where to take a particular series) Also, If developers where more clear about what the purpose of their game is(what is it made to

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk

I wasn't actually the one to originally compare Splinter Cell and AP. In fact I think the better comparison is Deus Ex to AP.

But I believe the original comparison came up because we were talking about gameplay mechanics. I agree with most of what you said though. Were you cut off in mid sentence?

Care to prove me wrong?
So you can "forget" about it and start the argument over in 3 months? Or pretend that the west doesn't do exactly what you're accusing JRPGs of? Nope.

Were you cut off in mid sentence?
Must have been Candle Ja Edited by Oner

achieve, what its purpose is) then maybe some game would have higher ratings. Nightshape: "You're comparing AP to previous generation games. The problem is Splinter Cell was made 8 years ago, and Deus Ex 10 years ago, comparing the results to a game just released is wrong. Especially when the results are comparable to games of a previous generation of technology." What do you mean by this?\

Games are only fundementally different when the point of the game isnt to isnt to tell a story(Adventure games and some JRPG's are good examples of this) Also, we reached a point some time ago technology is which technology is not a limiting factor in which one can hope to portray in both mediums(unless you want to keep pushing the graphics higher and higher) for some reason because games want to do this they have to keep targeting to the most common denominator because of how expensive it is to keep up.

I have a PS3 which for some reason does let me type beyond a certain extent.

I have seen more "Innovation" in Japanese roleplaying games than in Western games.

Kingdom hearts is an RPG series with a hack and slash battle system

Persona 3 and 4 are RPG's with dating sim elements

Baten Kaitos/ Phamton dust card based battle system, the former is turn based the latter is real time.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is the best co-op game I have ever played(4 players(I played it with 3) each one having different information about the map/monsters/reward system ect,)

You can also combine your attacks in order to increase damage to your enemies!

Firaga + 1!

Edited by Irrelevant

Care to prove me wrong?
So you can "forget" about it and start the argument over in 3 months? Or pretend that the west doesn't do exactly what you're accusing JRPGs of? Nope.

I don't recall having that discussion before, care to provide a link to refresh my memory?

Just saw that GoG offers Enclave, a Hack & Slash game from Starbreeze. Recommendable?

Yup, loved it back in the day. Don't know how well it has aged, though.

I have a PS3 which for some reason does let me type beyond a certain extent.

I have seen more "Innovation" in Japanese roleplaying games than in Western games.

Kingdom hearts is an RPG series with a hack and slash battle system

Persona 3 and 4 are RPG's with dating sim elements

Baten Kaitos/ Phamton dust card based battle system, the former is turn based the latter is real time.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is the best co-op game I have ever played(4 players(I played it with 3) each one having different information about the map/monsters/reward system ect,)

You can also combine your attacks in order to increase damage to your enemies!

Firaga + 1!

You are just wasting time explaining this to people like purkake, who love to bash something based on hearsay without ever seeing 90+% of the games they are bashing...

Interview of Greg Zeschuk comes to my mind which he gave away right after FFXIII was purchased by every 3rd owner of PS3 in Japan... I am wondering, if he ever played Bioware's own games, because like all of the JRPGs bashing he told, could have been easily applied to all their games they produced...

the only innovation i have seen in "western" market in last few years, was in games produced in central and eastern europe...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Still playing Alpha Protocol, having loads of fun. However, after this playthrough I think I'm gonna have to play another game so I don't burn out on AP.

Im struggling to finish it. I felt boredom set in after Rome and halfway through Moscow, and now Im just rushing through the rest to see how it ends. Not that I expect the ending to be any good, the whole "evil company wants to start WW3" plot is ridicilous from start to finish.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

achieve, what its purpose is) then maybe some game would have higher ratings. Nightshape: "You're comparing AP to previous generation games. The problem is Splinter Cell was made 8 years ago, and Deus Ex 10 years ago, comparing the results to a game just released is wrong. Especially when the results are comparable to games of a previous generation of technology." What do you mean by this?\

Games are only fundementally different when the point of the game isnt to isnt to tell a story(Adventure games and some JRPG's are good examples of this) Also, we reached a point some time ago technology is which technology is not a limiting factor in which one can hope to portray in both mediums(unless you want to keep pushing the graphics higher and higher) for some reason because games want to do this they have to keep targeting to the most common denominator because of how expensive it is to keep up.

To cut to the chase, Obsidian produced a poor product in regards to every area but the story.

I think that it would have been possible to make AP for a previous generation console, that's how much it seems to be utilising the underlaying hardware.

Technology is still a limiting factor, I should know I work with these consoles everyday.

AP is limited by the ability of the team to deliver a polished, cutting edge, and artistic experience. Whatever the reason, it didn't happen.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Still playing Alpha Protocol, having loads of fun. However, after this playthrough I think I'm gonna have to play another game so I don't burn out on AP.

Im struggling to finish it. I felt boredom set in after Rome and halfway through Moscow, and now Im just rushing through the rest to see how it ends. Not that I expect the ending to be any good, the whole "evil company wants to start WW3" plot is ridicilous from start to finish.

Funny... I'm feeling the same way.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Amazing how buzzwords work.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finally bought Alpha Protocol. Dialogue and characters are amazing in every way, and once you put some points into Pistols and Stealth, the combat even manages to become fun. Chain Shot is so overpowered. The story however... Mike seemed to get on the conspiracy bandwagon a little too fast, and the whole "new World War" plot doesn't really make sense. It's good, but I'm not here for a plot twist.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I think that it would have been possible to make AP for a previous generation console, that's how much it seems to be utilising the underlaying hardware.

Not wanting to open a really big can of worms, but the same could be said about pretty much every game I've played this year. Really, take out the graphic engine and you've got a game that was perfectly possible to produce for older generation consoles, considering that the design hasn't really changed that much (today everything has regenerating health, but that's about the only thing that has changed..).

By the way, been playing The Secret of Monkey Island : Special Edition. Don't really understand all the fuss 'yeaaargh they've changed Guybrush hair!'.. actually I think that's how a remake should be done.

Even just clicking F10 to return to the old graphics and watch what the presentation would have been and then returning to the remake graphics and sounds (seamlessly) is a lot of fun. About the only complaint I have is that they could have made possible to use the new remastered sound with the old graphics, but who really cares? I like the new presentation. Fits the mood just right.

Finally bought Alpha Protocol. Dialogue and characters are amazing in every way, and once you put some points into Pistols and Stealth, the combat even manages to become fun. Chain Shot is so overpowered. The story however... Mike seemed to get on the conspiracy bandwagon a little too fast, and the whole "new World War" plot doesn't really make sense. It's good, but I'm not here for a plot twist.

I must have been playing a different game. In mine they weren't trying to cause world war 3, they were trying to boost there sales in a way that was accidentally going to create ww3. :/

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I must have been playing a different game. In mine they weren't trying to cause world war 3, they were trying to boost there sales in a way that was accidentally going to create ww3. :/

I remember Leland spouting "The only thing more lucrative than a war, is a cold war". Or something.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I remember Leland spouting "The only thing more lucrative than a war, is a cold war". Or something.

He's trying to foster a Cold War because everyone buys his weapons, but Mike figures out (Don't ask me how) that the cold war is going to go hot

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.