What are you playing now

Gorth

I guess I don't have a good eye, but aside from maybe 2 bugs and one effect I've come across, not finding anything making the game shoddy or that they've completely fscked up. Aside from plugging through AP, recently decided to give Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising another go, mostly as I noticed the icon and said to myself "That's still installed?".

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I guess I don't have a good eye, but aside from maybe 2 bugs and one effect I've come across, not finding anything making the game shoddy or that they've completely fscked up. Aside from plugging through AP, recently decided to give Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising another go, mostly as I noticed the icon and said to myself "That's still installed?".

The quality of the artwork is what makes it shoddy... The lack of tight slick gameplay... I could go on but I have another thread where I'm on about this stuff.

Just about everything in AP is sub par, and all you need to do is stand it next to a true AAA title to see that.

AP feels cheap, after ME2 and Splinter Cell... Because, yes, I expected that level of focus.

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

That's all ? Bit steep, no ? Ah ok, you've added more than just the artwork. Tight slick gameplay is what, exactly ? Definition of a AAA title seems to be a huge budget and a marketing expense to fit.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That's all ? Bit steep, no ?

Not at all.

They atleast delivered some quality writing.

Stalker, that overrated game I never finished. Maybe I should dig it out. Is it better when patched?

I don't know if the Steam version is patched out but it's certainly far from polished.

And I don't know, I'm enjoying it probably far more than I should.

Part of it has to do with the sheer enjoyment I get from upgrading my armor and the top-notch art direction though.

I've just started playing Stalker - Shadow of Chernobyl. And I just have to say - wauw -. This game is really, really great. The quests are interesting and varied, the combat are varied as well. And you can perform quests or missions in any order.

I've also started playing Assasin's Creed (the first one). The set-up for this game is really something else. The whole idea of

genetic memory

is very original indeed. And the medieval world of 1191 really feeels alive.

Normally, I wouldn't even have looked at these games. However, thansk to to the mentions they got here and on other websites I picked them up and I haven't regretted it one bit.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

I've just started playing Stalker - Shadow of Chernobyl. And I just have to say - wauw -. This game is really, really great. The quests are interesting and varied, the combat are varied as well. And you can perform quests or missions in any order.

I've also started playing Assasin's Creed (the first one). The set-up for this game is really something else. The whole idea of

genetic memory

is very original indeed. And the medieval world of 1191 really feeels alive.

Normally, I wouldn't even have looked at these games. However, thansk to to the mentions they got here and on other websites I picked them up and I haven't regretted it one bit.

Just take into account that Assassin's Creed (the first one) gets very very very veeeeeeeery repetitive going on.

Stalker, that overrated game I never finished. Maybe I should dig it out. Is it better when patched?

It's better with mods, a little but not much. Try stalker 2009 (I think that's the name).

Just take into account that Assassin's Creed (the first one) gets very very very veeeeeeeery repetitive going on.

Don't feel bad if you end losing interest

everyone else did

Anyway, finally got around to buying Mass Effect 2.

Edited by Syraxis

Splinter Cell delivered quality writing. That' a good one.

I was talking about Obsidian... The posts got confused. I can see how you read it like that.

I was talking about Obsidian... The posts got confused. I can see how you read it like that.

If you took the original Splinter Cell and compared it to Alpha Protocol, I think you'd find them to be fairly even. The Splinter Cell series has had many iterations to hone their craft. And even if the gameplay is much better, the writing has never stacked up.

I also don't see what the criticism is about the AP voice work. It seems pretty great to me.

Is Dues Ex AAA? I think that is a better comparison. DX had average graphics and average game play.

deus ex is one of THE greatest games of all time.

it's anything but average.

I have not heard anyone say anything remotely like "alpha protocol is as good as deus ex."

which is too bad, because I was hoping for a game like that again.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/...sex?q=deus%20ex

compared to

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/alphaprotocol

NOTE: DO NOT READ THE NUMBERS NEXT TO THE REVIEWS, just read what people say about the game in those little tag descriptions... it illustrates the difference pretty clearly between how the games are being reviewed

ie: "you could do a lot worse" vs "Near-perfect in every conceivable way"

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

If you took the original Splinter Cell and compared it to Alpha Protocol, I think you'd find them to be fairly even. The Splinter Cell series has had many iterations to hone their craft. And even if the gameplay is much better, the writing has never stacked up.

I also don't see what the criticism is about the AP voice work. It seems pretty great to me.

Is Dues Ex AAA? I think that is a better comparison. DX had average graphics and average game play.

You're comparing AP to previous generation games. The problem is Splinter Cell was made 8 years ago, and Deus Ex 10 years ago, comparing the results to a game just released is wrong. Especially when the results are comparable to games of a previous generation of technology.

Deus Ex was in its day a AAA title, and I also wouldn't say that it had average graphics, and average gameplay for a title of that era.

Technology isn't everything, but gameplay is, and that's my worry... Obsidian seem to be ignoring the fact that games are supposed to be games first.

If you boil down AP, the gameplay isn't great, and its held up by the story telling, and not the underlaying game. Visually below average, interactivity is clunky... Just extremely unpolished.

AAA basically means, big budget, with high production values. AP doesn't have high production values, it's full of "it'll do", and "It's functional" moments.

Damnit, people, stop giving me the urge to play Deus Ex again!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

DX had average graphics and average game play.

I'll agree that the gfx were not high end, even for the time. Dunno if I would say they were average though.

Regardless, and more importantly, I've heard people say that DX wasn't great at any one thing, gameplay wise.

Not a great shooter.

Not a great stealther.

Not a great rpg.

Not a great story.

etc and so forth.

And I would tend to agree. But what DX did do, what made it a great game, was that it put all these different gameplay styles into a one game better than, well, really any game ever. And on top of that added its own particular brand of panache.

So yes, in a sense, average gameplay. But no, not really. It's one of those games that has never yet been surpassed or equalled in its particular idiom.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.