What you did today

Gorth

trying to study/do finals with a headache from olympus.

Mind you don't give birth to any gods.

Wait. What am I saying?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Is there an El Nino this year? Rain in May in California is quite unusual, at least during my lifetime. Not unheard of, but darn unusual. Tired of non-summer temps & rainy days...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Your weather sounds terrible. Washington's got the good stuff. Fall: Rain. Winter: Rain. Spring: Rain. Summer: Sunny rain.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Bah, you guys are lucky. Here's Florida's schedule:

Winter: hot, humid, with about a week of nice weather

Fall: hot, humid, hurricanes

Spring: hot, humid

Summer: very hot, very humid, 3PM rain every effing day, hurricanes

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

rainy days...

I love 'em :)

I'll admit I can do without the hot & humid Jersey summers.

And the freezing winters. And the rainy fall. And then pollen full spring. I love NJ but we have some wacky weather

Eh, NJ weather ain't so bad. After a few years living in Virginia, I started remembering NJ's "hot & humid" summers fondly. And sometimes I'd prefer a nice freeze to the consistent "cold, grey, and often rainy" winters that prevail in the DC area (the 2009-10 winter being a notable exception). The worst winter weather, to me, is temps just over the freezing point combined with wind and rain.

Anyhow, today I had a pretty satisfying workday. Got to deal directly with an attorney in a rather senior position at a different agency, and I feel like I made a good showing of it. We disagreed about the meaning of a particular statute, but I came up with a way to avoid confronting that particular issue. It wasn't central to the project we were working on, and a disagreement probably would've just gotten in the way of our deadline. I don't know if it's a change in style, increased confidence in me, or the fact that I hadn't really filled him in on this issue in advance, but my boss has been curtailing his tendency to micromanage lately. It's really my only criticism of the guy as a supervisor-- he's very understanding about scheduling stuff (basically a "so long as your work gets done, I don't much care when and where you do it" attitude) and I have enormous amounts of respect for his intelligence and work ethic. The respect is key-- I can take a little micromanaging when it results in an obvious improvement in the quality of the work because the boss happens to be a genius with a 10-year experience advantage. But working for someone who isn't as smart or as dedicated as you are is hell.

So now I'm playing some Civ4 and sipping some bourbon & ginger ale. For mixing bourbon, I really like 2 brands-- Elijah Craig (about $16 for .75L in my local jurisdiction) and Old Forester ($13!). I think they rival Makers Mark in flavor (which is more heavily marketed) and are available for 2/3rds the price or less. (I found the Old Forester on sale for $10.50 last week.) And, really, for sippin' whisky, I'd rather go with a Scotch, so these are the bourbons I buy.

trying to study/do finals with a headache from olympus.

Mind you don't give birth to any gods.

Wait. What am I saying?

I'd have been quite happy if Athena popped out and did my job for me like a good little daughter... but it didn't happen, and now I'm done with finals/community college.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

For mixing bourbon, I really like 2 brands-- Elijah Craig (about $16 for .75L in my local jurisdiction) and Old Forester ($13!). I think they rival Makers Mark in flavor (which is more heavily marketed) and are available for 2/3rds the price or less. (I found the Old Forester on sale for $10.50 last week.) And, really, for sippin' whisky, I'd rather go with a Scotch, so these are the bourbons I buy.

If I might make a suggestion, you should give Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve a taste. They are a bit pricier than the two you mentioned but... you do get what you pay for. Knob Creek is dark and rich and has a faint taste of molassas, Woodford is light and has a sweet aftertaste, kinda fruity. Knob creek runs about 28 bucks a liter, Woodford is about $40. But they are good enough you'd give up scotch for them.

It's funny, I find as I get older I'd rather have less of the good stuff than lots of the rotgut like Jim Beam.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Tell us how it is hurl. I'm thinking of getting it for my bday or perhaps ill just wait for christmas. I should get fallout 3 as well...hmm

I'm starting to research something called intermittent fasting to get lean over summer. You basically fast for 16 hours and then you have an 8 hour window to eat 3 meals. You pretty much benefit from the same things as a restrictive calorie diet but you don't have to deal with the craziness that comes from ridiculously small portions throughout the day.

I'm also starting a strict running regiment and combined with IF I should be able to lean out considerably within the next 2-3 months, at least I hope so. I ran 60 minutes yesterday, unfortunately only covered like 6 miles but I'm planning on running on my off days from lifting; about 40 minutes 3 times a week for endurance and then 1 day where I run sprints. We'll see just how committed I am.

Edit: My legs are really tired. :p

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Bah, you guys are lucky. Here's Florida's schedule:

Winter: hot, humid, with about a week of nice weather

Fall: hot, humid, hurricanes

Spring: hot, humid

Summer: very hot, very humid, 3PM rain every effing day, hurricanes

We haven't had hurricanes for 3 years almost and may I add that winter down here is just 2 months before we go back to scorching heat and prayers for rain.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It's funny, I find as I get older I'd rather have less of the good stuff than lots of the rotgut like Jim Beam.

A sure sign you're getting old, mate. :p

I agree with you about the Woodford Reserve. I'd drink it myself, but over here I can get single malt for less. Althoug having said that we're due a hot spell, and bourbon tastes better in the heat.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

today consisted of not very much at all

slept in, went to go see Iron Man 2, visited a friend at work, visited another friend at home

then went to go view some houses with my soon to be flatmates

then once again ended up having an all night tickle battle with one of them

this time however she wasn't wearing tickle armour (aka a corset) so i could effectively fight back

it escalated to the point where we were armed with paint brushes and towels

by the time we were covered in paint and sore from being whipped with towels, she ran into her room and came back with glitter

so now i've just walked through the middle of town on my way home covered in paint and welts

and i'm bloody sparkly :shifty:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Cant' wait for NPH on Glee! Can't wait can't wait can't wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=PAkK20WbNlI

I keep falling asleep at 10pm and waking up 3 hours later, unable to fall back asleep. It's joy.

@Syraxis - I like rainy days too...just not 250 days a year of them. The reason I like middle of Calif. coast is that (usually), just as I become tired of the rain/colder temps, there's sun and warm blue skies. Soon as I get sick of that, there's clouds, wind, and rain. :shifty:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Do you think Shryke would accept me as a padawan?

-Elwood Blues

You would never make it old man, that lifestyle is reserved for the early 20-somethings.

But what a way to die! Choking on moist glitter!

-Elwood Blues

Havent seen it mentioned here yet but RIP Ronnie James Dio:

Black Sabbath bassist reminisces about Dio

May 19, 5:01 AM (ET)

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Black Sabbath bassist Terry "Geezer" Butler reminisced about his last moments with friend and bandmate Ronnie James Dio in a statement released Tuesday.

Also Tuesday, Dio's family announced that a public memorial service is planned for 2 p.m. on May 30 in the Hall of Liberty at Forest Lawn, Hollywood Hills.

In his statement, Butler recounted his final days with the singer, who died May 16 of stomach cancer at age 67. The two performed together in Heaven and Hell, the latest incarnation of Black Sabbath.

Butler said he shared his last laugh and received his final e-mail from Dio on May 12, then went to visit him May 15 at the hospital along with "25 to 30 friends."

"We knew the end was imminent," Butler wrote. "We all wanted to say our goodbyes."

Butler said the day was filled with tears and reflection.

"In the evening, the chaplain came, and we all gathered around Ronnie's bed and prayed," Butler wrote. "At 11 p.m., most of us left, leaving Wendy her privacy to say her last farewell. The devastation was palpable."

Butler added that Dio was a "special person, blessed with a unique voice and presence." He ended his statement thanking Dio "for the wonderful memories."

In addition to his wife, Wendy, Dio is survived by son Daniel, grandchildren Julie and Joey, and father Pat.

You would never make it old man, that lifestyle is reserved for the early 20-somethings.

But what a way to die! Choking on moist glitter!

lul wat?

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

The Joss Whedon/Neil Patrick Harris combo on Glee wasn't quite as super-awesome as I was hoping for, but it was still extremely delicious. Artie's tribute to flash mob's was well done too.

Typical day for me so far...ie nothing to write home about...now about to watch baseball.