Deus Ex 3

Humodour

he takedowns, which all look incredible, are automatic kills that can be triggered when up close to an enemy. They could make combat a lot easier than it needs to be, but they also serve to make the stealth gameplay very approachable and satisfying

COULD ? Heh, right. Ah well, from what I'm hearing this game sounds kinda ok.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

that long gameplay explanation really sealed the deal, it sounds like deus ex, big levels to explore, tons of methods to deal with every situation etc... it sounds like they really nailed what worked about the level/game design in deus ex. :)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

that long gameplay explanation really sealed the deal, it sounds like deus ex, big levels to explore, tons of methods to deal with every situation etc... it sounds like they really nailed what worked about the level/game design in deus ex. :ermm:

Yep. Unlike the Deus Ex 2 (Invisible War ) dev team - they had no ****ing clue what Deus Ex was about.

I'm not getting on the hype train anytime soon.

Also would be nice to see some gameplay footage.

That's what I was thinking too, we really have no idea how this game really looks.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

that long gameplay explanation really sealed the deal, it sounds like deus ex, big levels to explore, tons of methods to deal with every situation etc... it sounds like they really nailed what worked about the level/game design in deus ex. :rolleyes:

Yep. Unlike the Deus Ex 2 (Invisible War ) dev team - they had no ****ing clue what Deus Ex was about.

Yeah, it's strange - they apparently completely failed to pick up on what made the game unique. Even the move from the more classic cyberpunk setting to a more sci-fi one was IMHO a colossal **** up.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

If Invisible War had been a stand-alone game it would have been recieved a lot better then it was. Unfortunately it just didn't quite follow in the footsteps of Deus Ex well enough. There were a lot of things I enjoyed about IW, but the whole never really seemed to gel together.. Ah well, here's to hoping it works for Human Revolution..

One of my key issues with IW was how they'd talked up and hyped the idea that there were seperate factions and that you could take missions from them, betray them to the others, and then deal with the consequences... then I got the game, played it , and was like wtf? Consequences basically zero.

Hm, on a slightly different note, one of the latest E3 interviews... Following the "critical path" DE3 should be finished in 17-24 hours of gameplay, but if you take the time to explore the world and do sidequests it should take you around 30 hours..

Although I haven't seen anything yet on how gameplay is going to be set up... different hubs or something else... Curiousity and anticipation build..

(and that trailer had some damn good music)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Tbh, I'm still not convinced. Sure the old game's skill and Aug progression was suboptimal; No passive aug effects, Minimal combat skill effects, problematic support skill effects due to non-interactive usage of skills and limited-time based gear (And some useless augs), but I still wish they had gone for building up the existing system instead of cutting it (trim or cut? we shall see if it will be as bad as DX:IW).

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Tbh, I'm still not convinced. Sure the old game's skill and Aug progression was suboptimal; No passive aug effects, Minimal combat skill effects, problematic support skill effects due to non-interactive usage of skills and limited-time based gear (And some useless augs), but I still wish they had gone for building up the existing system instead of cutting it (trim or cut? we shall see if it will be as bad as DX:IW).

After my lastest Alpha Potocl run, I started DeusEx run, for the first time in several years. While there's tons of problems in Alpha Protocols way of handling stealth, combat and skill mechancis, it's definately clear that several things in DeusEx wouldn't work nowadays.

Augmentations drain juice way too fast. Most of 'em should be passive. Way the skills work are outdated too as there are no real special abilities gained from increasing 'em. Combat work way worse then I remembered. Stealth takedowns (before getting melee skill high enough or correct augmentation) are more of less unrealible. There's also no light / noise meter (I think Thief use 'em and later Splinter Cell) and thus it's sometimes frustrating to plan movement correctly.

Targeting with ranged weapons is bad (funny, I used to think it worked just fine). First you're inaccurate even if you stay put and then you magically gain perfect aiming if wait enough. You can move your aim around and it won't affect the accuracy. If you move, then aim resets and it's inaccurate again. Also I could use modern ironsight aim when holding right mouse down or Alpha Protocol (and many other games) type of over the shoulder aim.

Oh yeah, did I already say that levels of DeusEx are REALLY dark (and ugly, even by 2000's standards). Storyline, characters, setting, alternative routes to certain goal, music and voice acting still rock and could be used in remake without edits. And I've always liked the way they recycle levels in DeusEx and I'm glad that so many games today use it as cut cutting methoid.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

(And some useless augs)

In DX?

Which ones are those?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Combat Strength compared to Microfibrial Muscle

Synthetic Heart compared to Power Recirculator

Energy Shield compared to Regeneration

These look good on paper but in-game they are either cost ineffective or redunant. Then there are the resistance and support augs (Balistic, Enviromental, Emp and Aqualung, ADS) that might be useful for a rambo player but I think if you look around a bit and think ahead, you can just stockpile enough disposable gear to skimp on those too

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

These look good on paper but in-game they are either cost ineffective or redunant. Then there are the resistance and support augs (Balistic, Enviromental, Emp and Aqualung, ADS) that might be useful for a rambo player but I think if you look around a bit and think ahead, you can just stockpile enough disposable gear to skimp on those too

More like the key issue with Aqualung is that Regeneration nullifies it AND all disposable gear of similar usage. :lol:

Combat Strength+Lightsabre does allow you to blast open quite a few doors that would otherwise need heavier artillery, multitools or equivalent, but still definitely not as good as microfibral muscle.

Let's not forget the leg augs, silent running is definitely worse IIRC as you can sneak faster with the speed aug later on. Never mind the enhanced survivability and jumping ability the other one gives.

In fact, the only tough decisions when in augs IMO were the cranial (aggressive defense system vs. spy drone) and eyes (vision enhancement vs. targeting) - and even those would mostly be pretty obvious depending on play style, just not automatic no-brainers no matter what your approach was.

There's also no light / noise meter (I think Thief use 'em and later Splinter Cell) and thus it's sometimes frustrating to plan movement correctly.

This is a good thing in my book. I guess you could explain it away with cybernetic augmentation, but still seems like unnecessary hand-holding in a game where stealth is just one alternative.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

There's also no light / noise meter (I think Thief use 'em and later Splinter Cell) and thus it's sometimes frustrating to plan movement correctly.

This is a good thing in my book. I guess you could explain it away with cybernetic augmentation, but still seems like unnecessary hand-holding in a game where stealth is just one alternative.

I don't se how it's handhelding as it's basic GUI aid. Same way as health meter, armor meter, damage location, compass, friend / enemy targeting color, minimap, item quickslots ect ect.

I don't se how it's handhelding as it's basic GUI aid. Same way as health meter, armor meter, damage location, compass, friend / enemy targeting color, minimap, item quickslots ect ect.

It was done really well in Splinter Cell Conviction, where if you were hidden in the shadows enough the screen would turn black and white. I'm not saying this effect is a good idea in Deus Ex, but there are ways to tell the player he's hidden enough with simple screen effects.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The only one I might agree on was SH vs Power Recirc. Power Recirc was so important for late game aug usage that it was pretty indispensable for any build. It should have been paired with something equally critical.

CS vs MM was a player choice on melee vs other builds. CS made you pretty impressively powerful in melee combat.

I almost always took ES over Regen. Regen was a nice luxury but hardly neccessary.

Of course no augs were really neccessary, except Power Recirc.

I always thought one of the great things about DX was the way you could choose, skills, augs, gear, and mods to create all sort of interesting builds. IW completely missed the concept and I'm pretty sure DX3 will as well.

edit: I think pairing power recirc with regen would have made a nutbuster of a choice for most people. Even thpough I rarely used regen, I realize how much others did.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It was done really well in Splinter Cell Conviction, where if you were hidden in the shadows enough the screen would turn black and white.

Personally I'm not a fan of GUI elements in-game mode as for example in case of Spinter Cell, I'd play black and white game most of the time. We had black and white TV till early 80's and I'd rather not see that return :p

It was done really well in Splinter Cell Conviction, where if you were hidden in the shadows enough the screen would turn black and white.

Personally I'm not a fan of GUI elements in-game mode as for example in case of Spinter Cell, I'd play black and white game most of the time. We had black and white TV till early 80's and I'd rather not see that return :p

It made very little difference since the game was gritty and nearly everything was gray in the first place.

It made very little difference since the game was gritty and nearly everything was gray in the first place.

still other games that utilize this sort of thing (DefJam3 for example) would MUCH benefit from having a simple gui overlay that shows the status than this because otherwise you find that you're playing mostly in a black and white game.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.