Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

It's generally always seen as bad behaviour to openly criticise a fellow developer/publisher in this industry. You never know, it could one day backfire on you.

If you are civil, constructive, and respectful in your criticism I don't see a problem.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

If i had to write down 5 good things about fallout 3, they would be less peripheral, unimportant stuff.

Thankfully, i don't have to write good things about fallout 3. :closed:

I think this post gets at the heart of the conflict between folks who love Bethesda games and those who don't. What is "peripheral, unimportant stuff" to some players is a source of delight to others.

In principle you are right, but that's not what i meant.

A nice perk, a beautiful vista or a funny pop culture reference may be a source of delight for me as well, but it's still peripheral.

I meant i would note bigger things as pros of fallout 3. And cons, of course, as i have done to a ridiculus degree here and elsewhere.

Ah, we're talking past each other then. For me "Consistently being rewarded for exploring the environment - there was always at least three things to see on the horizon that you wanted to go check out" is the heart of the matter. :p I love Beth's visual approach to storytelling, the sense of living in the world their games give me, but I understand that if you're looking for different sorts of stories told via dialogue trees, you'd be frustrated.

Edited by Lady Evenstar

Ah, we're talking past each other then. For me "Consistently being rewarded for exploring the environment - there was always at least three things to see on the horizon that you wanted to go check out" is the heart of the matter. :closed: I love Beth's visual approach to storytelling, the sense of living in the world their games give me, but I understand that if you're looking for different sorts of stories told via dialogue trees, you'd be frustrated.

Well, for me, the story is not that simple. In Morrowind, Ken Rolston did something between System Shock and old PnP supplements which introduce the imaginary world from the views of in-world people. In history section, they, at first, seem to be contradicting but you come to notice that it is designed like that: As the histories of our world, different viewpoints produce different version of stories. So, if you read in-world books with details, you can feel more rewarded by exploring the worlds, understanding these multi-layered backgrounds from various viewpoints. Rolston said that this is his way of story-telling. However, in Oblivion, this aspect was dramatically reduced. Although I understand that not so many people read in-world books, at least, the depth of Morrowind is totally removed in its "successor", about which, Rolston himself doesn't seem to be happy with.

So, while I'm quite happy with the way of story-telling in Morrowind, I was totally disappointed by the direction of Oblivion. Talking of Auteurism, at least, to me, Bethesda lost what earned by Morrowind in Oblivion.

This is just my personal opinion as usual, though.

I just picked up Fallout 3 for my PS3. First off, I'd like to point out that I enjoyed Oblivion. I didn't play it much as an RPG as I did as a dungeon crawler. I was an assassin and I enjoyed tweaking the custom class option to power-game the title "assassin". ... Then I got sneaky, used Nighteye and started dungeon crawling. Though, I do enjoy a good story but Oblivion just didn't tell it right or the story just isn't what I wanted to be involved in.

Now I have Fallout 3. I'm having the same issues only I don't like the combat much in the game. Though, I'm more interested in finding out what happened to the PCs 'daddy' because of his involvement in the introduction of the game. I also heard that if you complete the main quest you can't go back and do the side quests so I'm trying to do all the side quests I can... only the ones I'm finding don't give you much to go on. For example: Blood Ties. Ok, Mr. West. I'll randomly go search for The Family with absolutely nothing to go on minus 3 locations that you give no insight on. Can you tell me which directions there in, please?

Its really a breathe of fresh air that Obsidian is taking the reigns for Fallout: New Vegas. Their prowess in story telling has kept me playing through their games since SW:KOTOR II. There is at least one not-so-Fallout 3-fan that's at least a bit excited for F:NV.

Edited by AngryKidJoe

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

Now I have Fallout 3. I'm having the same issues only I don't like the combat much in the game. Though, I'm more interested in finding out what happened to the PCs 'daddy' because of his involvement in the introduction of the game. I also heard that if you complete the main quest you can't go back and do the side quests

I'm fairly sure that if you have the GOTY or Broken Steel installed, this shouldn't be a problem. I haven't cared enough to personally verify (I played it just once), so I might be wrong.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

from teh vault:

Information from a 10-page Fallout: New Vegas preview in the German PC Games magazine:

* Opening sequence: Courier is executed with a headshot. No ambush.

* Character look creation: Mitchell holds a mirror in front of your face "I hope I put you back together properly so you recognize yourself."

* Character creation: G.O.A.T. is replaced with a psychoanalysis test.

* Weapons: picture of a hunting rifle included. Available modifications are scope, larger magazine and a 3rd one for faster load between shots.

* Weapons: picture of a normal and a unique 9mm Pistol. Shown mods: scope and magazine enlargement. One gun shown with both scope and enlarged magazine.

* Weapons: The unique pistol has a unique skin, engravings and a picture of Virgin Mary on the grip. This could mean that every unique weapon has its own skin. "These rare guns not only look UNIQUE, but have unique properties."

* Weapons: Concept art of a guy in the trenchoat from the teaser wielding a Fallout 3-style minigun (It's a little bit smaller though)

* Goodsprings: When you leave the Powder Ganger Quest unsolved, you'll encounter them later when they are more powerful.

* Goodsprings: You can convince Mayor Trudi to ambush the Powder Gangers with a sufficient sneak skill.

* Some choices you make during the game reveal their consequences far later.

* Some NPC companions will have their own quests too, not only Raul.

* Radar: A new yellow bar for companions is added by Obsidian.

* "Caps" are mentioned as currency, not poker chips or dollars.

* Hint that weapon modifications can be found in the wastes. (May be speculation)

* Some statements hint that the NCR and the Brotherhood of Steel somehow work together - you easily gain access to Helios 1 by having a good reputation with NCR and BOS

* Dialogue with Fantastic in Helios 1 can be influenced with a high barter skill.

* Game world will be as big as the one from Fallout 3.

* Avellone on game development: "We are currently working on the dialogues and places. The rest looks pretty good for now."

It's generally always seen as bad behaviour to openly criticise a fellow developer/publisher in this industry. You never know, it could one day backfire on you.

If you are civil, constructive, and respectful in your criticism I don't see a problem.

Sure, but how often do you see that these days?

Often time I have to endure reading cruel cursing and sh-bombs coming from mediocre/uneducated developers that think of themselves as something important.

I'm fairly sure that if you have the GOTY or Broken Steel installed, this shouldn't be a problem. I haven't cared enough to personally verify (I played it just once), so I might be wrong.

It's still possible to permanently die, depending on the choice.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Now I have Fallout 3. I'm having the same issues only I don't like the combat much in the game. Though, I'm more interested in finding out what happened to the PCs 'daddy' because of his involvement in the introduction of the game. I also heard that if you complete the main quest you can't go back and do the side quests

I bought a used vanilla version. I didn't want to spend the extra 50 USD for a new GOTY version on a game I'm not even sure I'd like.

It's still possible to permanently die, depending on the choice.

I thought it was only possible by grabbing the disc and hammering it to pieces. That's the way I did it, anyway. :-

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

* Game world will be as big as the one from Fallout 3.

Hm...

This is fine, FO3 only felt small when you used instant travel or had to travel around the city in the sewers.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

No, I think it's too big. Do they have the development time to make it good? Or will it simply be more sparse?

id enjoy a LITTLE more sparsity, things were a bit too close together last time.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

No, I think it's too big. Do they have the development time to make it good? Or will it simply be more sparse?

From what I understand, leaving out engine-building time and all that, actual development of Fallout 3 wasn't much longer than New Vegas' planned schedule.

*Killian Begins to sing*

Bright light city gonna set my soul

Gonna set my soul on fire

Got a whole lot of caps that's ready to burn,

So get those stakes up higher

There's a thousand super mutants waitin' out there

And they're all dipin' for a war

And I'm just the ranger from that NCR

Fallout New Vegas, Fallout New Vegas

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

*Killian Begins to sing*

Bright light city gonna set my soul

Gonna set my soul on fire

Got a whole lot of caps that's ready to burn,

So get those stakes up higher

There's a thousand super mutants waitin' out there

And they're all dipin' for a war

And I'm just the ranger from that NCR

Fallout New Vegas, Fallout New Vegas

This is by far the best Visceris post I have ever read.

The more I'm playing FO:3 the more I'm liking it actually. Still add-on less, just playing the original campaign. It has it's flaws but now that I'm used to the combat system and accidently came across the voice recordings (which helped me quite a bit) it's at least enjoyable to play. To be quite honest, I think the 1st/3rd person perspective on this game really fits. The engine works pretty well for the title. I would enjoy seeing the weather effects, as rare as it might be. Perhaps acid rain, dust storms, or just heat lightning ... or something we've never experience on a pre-apocalyptic world.

Regardless, the more I'm playing FO:3 the more I'm looking for Obsidian's twist on Bethesda's perspective on the Fallout franchise. I don't have any high expectations, but considering I'm at least enjoying Bethesda's variant, I can't imagine a team with some of the 'OG's involved being making it worse.