Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

Looks like You all have a 'one picture is worth a thousand words' policy here. Is that possible that 'woah' person might be the lowest common denominator of FO:3, F:NV franchise consumers? If it is so, She could still enjoy more in-game depth and chalenge (but only if She shaves before), or maybe She is a 'console-joe' that F:NV is also obliged to reach? I understand that making two much-varied versions (pc - console), or very different hardcore mode is questional, it is like a lot work that not necessarily will hit a spotlight, but it is still sweet to have some extra options especially on pc where You are restrained by virtually nothing, that kind of game would last long years on players top lists :)

p.s. about gameplay, what do You think about save system in FO:3, wouldn't it be great if they add no-save, or limit player saving capabilities, like in FOT:BOS, where You get no-save at mission mode for additional experience points, playing this mode was great, not like save-load anytime You want so You can rob that NPC for eg. in Rivet City market, even if stealth skill are virtually zero, You will succed, at least before a dusk comes.. This approach to gaming ruins gameplay, beacause if there is an option and You really want it, You will use it eventually, so maybe PC could choose at game start what mode He/She will play, and if it is hardcore.. no turning back, only by resettin a game to a fresh start.

Edited by roch

Quicksave is all I need. Maybe mix in some autosave for good measure.

But that leads exactly to 'quick' save-load exploit, if it is hardcore mode I would like to have a good autosave system that restrains You from cheating, and save at PC house, let's say twice a day, of course there are also bug's that will certainly bee there in a early game version, that might defeat this as well, hard choices..

I'm very happy to use the save-load exploit.

If you don't want to use it, don't. If you need something that restrains you from that, seek help.

Of course I can restrain from that.. but it is like a junkie having a crack in his pocket making a promise to never smoke it again.. What I meant that no-save system in FOT:BOS gave me thrills, what could happen next I will have to deal with it, if it is death of one of companions or wasting some rare ammo on enemy that ambushed me, or own death, that kind of experience is what make me focus on a game, but I understand if it's not working for You.

I am talking about a HARDCORE mode that was mentioned on poll at http://www.obsidian.net/ that made me intrigued and made me post in a first place I understand that won't be suited for some players that like normal/hard modes, but since it is there I understand that it should be far less forgiving, making a player like me literally sunk into a game, I like the choices that really matters, not like uh-oh, let's try that again, maybe something like sandbox that player could experiment from his point into the game, but no saving during it.

Thank You for replaying.

Kind of like Ironman mode in ToEE? Is that what you are talking about, Roch? The game only saves when you are logging out.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I'm fine with a hardcore mode that has quicksave.

Limiting saves is another unnecessary artificial way to make the game harder by adding unnecessary frustration. If you want to be super hardcore, limit yourself to only autosaves, no need to make everyone else suffer.

Also, wouldn't having the option to quicksave there, but not using it be even more hardcore? It's like you're battling yourself as well.

Edited by Purkake

I actually prefer not having to deal with saves at all. My preference would be to have the game autosave in different slots at every rest spot. I agree that playing without belt and suspenders could make the combat more challenging as it would actually matter whether you lived or died.

Either that or it would make your pants fall down.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

And that's where your analogy falls apart.

I just hate replaying long-ish parts of a game for no good reason, if I fail I want to do that thing again, not the 15 minutes before it. You have your compulsive weapon reloaders, I'm a compulsive quicksaver.

Edited by Purkake

I don't think anyone here is trying to say make it the only way to save. Making it tied to the difficulty slider would be the best way of doing it, or check in a box in the options screen.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

The key to making it work would be to tune the difficulty level just enough that you would be able to get out of most scrapes, but not all.

It's a matter of preference, and your preference for quicksaving is not an argument in and of itself.

But you can have quicksave and not use it. You can't all be crazy people with no self control, right?

I don't think anyone here is trying to say make it the only way to save. Making it tied to the difficulty slider would be the best way of doing it, or check in a box in the options screen.

Killian Kalthorne got it right, having an option besides difficulty slider would be IT, setting it to meet player tastes, making it optional hence not forcing a player (like it was in FOT:BOS, not sure about ToEE, never played it).

Gordon: I actually prefer not having to deal with saves at all. My preference would be to have the game autosave in different slots at every rest spot. I agree that playing without belt and suspenders could make the combat more challenging as it would actually matter whether you lived or died.

Either that or it would make your pants fall down.

Exactly! I hate to having to remember to save, and quick-save=exploit, this way doing something right is twice as rewarding, and if 'my pants fall down' ,well that's what I wanted right? (so I WILL try acomplish it again), more challenge, choices that matters, and immersive thrilling gameplay. (me: maybe something like sandbox that player could experiment from his point into the game, but no saving during it.) some kind of fantasy/day dreaming a player can experience 'what if', making it in sepia tone as in tranquility lane might do it as well.

Purkake: But you can have quicksave and not use it. You can't all be crazy people with no self control, right?

maybe that's it, I cannot help myself with it, knowing it is there, so I want an option to make me forget it.. and after setting it no way back but a starting fresh.

Thats my kind of game I would love to play, but it is my personal taste of course, and I respect Yours as well.

I have an ingenious plan for you(this is strictly in addition to seeking professional help), remove the F5 and F9 keys on your keyboard and put them in a drawer.

No more impulsive craziness!

EDIT: I'm on a roll today, second ingenious idea: go to control setting and remove the keybindings for quicksave and quickload. Voila!

Edited by Purkake

I have an ingenious plan for you(this is strictly in addition to seeking professional help), remove the F5 and F9 keys on your keyboard and put them in a drawer.

No more impulsive craziness!

EDIT: I'm on a roll today, second ingenious idea: go to control setting and remove the keybindings for quicksave and quickload. Voila!

despite Your clever irony it is sadly a true.. I did that before ...

with 'windows' key on my keyboard, I got so mad accidentally tapping it in some intense game that I removed it with a screwdriver! later I learned it can be disabled by a proggie os shell (like gameos), so why not add that option into a game and save me buying new keyboard ? :D