Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

This is so crazy nit-picky, but I hope that they make a new texture for that retaining wall off to the right side in the distance. (The interlocked "+" shapes)

b9NoCw.jpg

Along the Potomac in DC, and along a few of the highways in the area, you see retaining walls exactly like that-- it's one of the little details that made FO3's environment seem authentic to a DC-area gamer like me. Now, that kind of wall design might be more commonplace than I'm aware of, but I associate it pretty closely with the DC area, and it would feel out of place were it to be popping up in post-apoc Nevada.

It looks more like two sumo wrestlers with wizard hats on.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Why has this thread got a picture of a photocopy of my buttocks in it?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Fo3 says: NO. I'll just dump a village here, a city built around an atomic bomb there, five minutes from that a legion of ogres with miniguns that have enough ammunition for a perpetual war with dudes in metal power armor and laser rifles they seem to leave lying around everywhere. Make sure none of them have anything humorous or intelligent to say - as long as they die in really entertaining ways no one will notice. Splatter enough NPC's around for the wasteland to look really populated (wait, wot?), and make sure there are people doing history tours and writing survival guides around - because there is really nothing better to do after the world ends.

I'm with you there. Weren't we discussing this in the PnP forum? To make it seeem natural you start with elevation, then you imagine water flowing through it. Water makes for humans, and humans then move along the water, linking up. Later they begin making paths and tracks between settlements. Settlements on big bits of water, and especially on the way to places end up being biggest. Not, as Boo points out, because they are parachuted into inexplicable places.

EDIT: Actually I forgot something - defensibility. Post-apocalypse has to have water, food, and also some way of keeping the rad bastards out. So Megaton almost makes sense. Essentially I'd expect either hill forts with plenty of guns, or isolated settlements would be hidden and only emerge occasionally to forage.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Fo3 says: NO. I'll just dump a village here, a city built around an atomic bomb there, five minutes from that a legion of ogres with miniguns that have enough ammunition for a perpetual war with dudes in metal power armor and laser rifles they seem to leave lying around everywhere. Make sure none of them have anything humorous or intelligent to say - as long as they die in really entertaining ways no one will notice. Splatter enough NPC's around for the wasteland to look really populated (wait, wot?), and make sure there are people doing history tours and writing survival guides around - because there is really nothing better to do after the world ends.

I'm with you there. Weren't we discussing this in the PnP forum? To make it seeem natural you start with elevation, then you imagine water flowing through it. Water makes for humans, and humans then move along the water, linking up. Later they begin making paths and tracks between settlements. Settlements on big bits of water, and especially on the way to places end up being biggest. Not, as Boo points out, because they are parachuted into inexplicable places.

EDIT: Actually I forgot something - defensibility. Post-apocalypse has to have water, food, and also some way of keeping the rad bastards out. So Megaton almost makes sense. Essentially I'd expect either hill forts with plenty of guns, or isolated settlements would be hidden and only emerge occasionally to forage.

Yeah, most of this already covered in many post apocalyptic films and books.

Really, there is a relatively small number of ways a post apocalyptic society functions especially as further away as one goes from the disaster that ended civilization.

If the goal was supreme realism, given FO' NVs timeline,

203 years after the Great War of 2077

there should be very few functioning guns around, (almost) no working electronics, the high tech stuff should be broken beyond repair - not to mention that people with actual knowledge to work these things should be long dead. Larger cities should be abandoned because they're essentially unsustainable without a steady influx of food, electricity and running water. The presence of high tech factions such as BOS and Enclave should be minimal to non existent etc. (in fact they shouldn't exist at all but they are sorta canon so...)

Of course the Fallout series always suffered from the cool sh!t syndrome, particularly from Fallout 2 onwards, but there's no reason not to take things a bit more seriously...

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I thought the whole point with the tech was that the Fallout world America built to last. Like 50s cars. Or at least it did sometimes, which is why only a few things keep turning up, whereas there would have been a bazillion varieties pre nuke.

One thing I really didn't like about Fallout 3 was that you ahd well travelled areas FULL of prewar cakes and so forth. WTF!? Am I the first person to have thought of going hunting for food in old shops? Ridiculous. What would have been better is to have the majority of food being revolting fungi and scraped lichens. Then when you did find a snack cake in an old vault it should have been a real treat. Not necessarily high stats bonus, but a real song and dance with the animation of eating it.

-Elwood Blues

It'd be simpler if it wasn't 203 years after the war. A shorter time period would make all of this more logical.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I thought the whole point with the tech was that the Fallout world America built to last. Like 50s cars. Or at least it did sometimes, which is why only a few things keep turning up, whereas there would have been a bazillion varieties pre nuke.

One thing I really didn't like about Fallout 3 was that you ahd well travelled areas FULL of prewar cakes and so forth. WTF!? Am I the first person to have thought of going hunting for food in old shops? Ridiculous. What would have been better is to have the majority of food being revolting fungi and scraped lichens. Then when you did find a snack cake in an old vault it should have been a real treat. Not necessarily high stats bonus, but a real song and dance with the animation of eating it.

If a snack cake lasted for two centuries I'd be really wary about its contents. :)

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

If a snack cake lasted for two centuries I'd be really wary about its contents. :lol:

Was it in 28 days after (or its sequel)? The protagonists loot a supermarket. Walking past all the rotten fruit except one section where the fruit has been treated with radiation and still looks fresh. A wtf moment in an otherwise serious movie.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If a snack cake lasted for two centuries I'd be really wary about its contents. :lol:

apu.jpg

"Silly customer! You cannot hurt a Twinkie!"