Kotaku preview

IIRC didn't you have to kill the commanders/officers before you could kill the leader?

edit: because the game didn't give you a choice in the matter? I haven't played this game in close to three years.

Edited by Syraxis

Stealthy run + CQC when combat can't be avoided sounds like it could be a fun challenge then.

I'm still not sure what angle I'll be using for my first playthrough. Shooting everything doesn't appeal to me that much. Stealth plus gadgets sounds cool.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I think I will try to specialize stealth + technical aptitude + sabotage, with a little spark of pistols just in case. And try to not touch anyone.

I wonder if the team included options for a stealthy character to take on the bosses... or if some of the bosses are the stealthy, sneaky kind :blink:

IIRC didn't you have to kill the commanders/officers before you could kill the leader?

edit: because the game didn't give you a choice in the matter? I haven't played this game in close to three years.

You didn't *have* to. Crackdown wouldn't give you the leader's location until you did, but if you came across it by yourself, you could go in there and get them. Though they'd have more and better equipped guards apparently, not that I really noticed it.

Not the most juicy preview ever, but given how starved I am, better than nothing.

Edited by Baeus

Stealth + Gadgets + unarmed for me too.

Definitely trying this too.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I wonder when we're going to have intel on who the fourth romanceable lady is... we know there is Mina (beat me for the hub), Sie (Moscow), Scarlet (Saudi Arabia), but we don't even know the name of the blonde woman who seems to be the fourth "option", nor what her activity is.

Edited by Sannom

"Early summer."

Good news.

The gameplay footage in the video is reused though.

On an unrelated note, anyone find it ironic that directly after we find out that they added an inventory comparison Yahtzee complains about the lack of one in his Borderlands review?

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

The bits about the kind of intelligence we can buy was new to me. I thought it was simply bits of dossiers about organizations and characters, but it will actually include blueprints of areas with the position of alarms and security cameras, and also the possibility of bribing gards to look the other way when we're sneaking in.

The bits about the kind of intelligence we can buy was new to me. I thought it was simply bits of dossiers about organizations and characters, but it will actually include blueprints of areas with the position of alarms and security cameras, and also the possibility of bribing gards to look the other way when we're sneaking in.

That's brilliant. I cannot wait to play this.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

"Early summer."

Good news.

On an unrelated note, anyone find it ironic that directly after we find out that they added an inventory comparison Yahtzee complains about the lack of one in his Borderlands review?

There's not really any causality there - it was an issue that we realized needed to be addressed quite a while ago. Before Borderlands even came out, as I recall.

Matthew Rorie

"Early summer."

Good news.

There's not really any causality there - it was an issue that we realized needed to be addressed quite a while ago. Before Borderlands even came out, as I recall.

I wasn't implying your game design choices were influenced by a Zero Punctuation review, that would be ridiculous. It's just a rather humorous coincidence.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

• 2 weeks later...
Since when is inventory comparison used, by the way? The first time I saw it was in Dragon Age, did it exist before?

Most MMOs have it. Borderlands had it, even ME had it, but only when buying something from a vendor.

Heck, Armored Core 2 had it. Don't ask me about the others.

Most MMOs have it. Borderlands had it, even ME had it, but only when buying something from a vendor.

Borderlands kinda had it, except you had to activate compare mode and scroll to the weapon you have equipped. So IT kinda sucked. It was in Titan Quest though, and I think it's been a staple in action togs for some time.

Since when is inventory comparison used, by the way? The first time I saw it was in Dragon Age, did it exist before?

ME had it automatically showing on the inventory screen, you had to click a specific button to see it when buying.

Another website gives their impression of the NYC PR event :

Although the guy describes himself as a Sega fanboy (although perhaps not the blind kind) and only this tidbits concern Alpha Protocol :

I spent an inordinate amount of time at the Alpha Protocol demo. This game is shaping up to be something truly spectacular. Take Mass Effect, set it in modern times and add James Bond and you have Alpha Protocol. Everything you do can not only affect the outcome of the game, but also the story itself. Mercy on a gun dealer nets you cheap weapons and intel but keeps the country under criminal rule. Taking out the gun dealer sets the country free of the dealers power but nets you no additional info or weapons deals. It has a deep melee combat system, tons of customizable weapons, gadgets and even hacking. While it plays like an action game, it has RPG elements like leveling and character specialties which can be modified. Plain and simple, Alpha Protocol is the game you play when you