Heavy Rain

I think the movie sequences in Privateer 2 were a strange mix of awesome and appalling. Quite often at the same time... Although again, a rather stellar cast of hollywood acting throughout...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It was functional, but a lot of the combat stuff was just filler to stretch out the game. I'd rather have one awesome fight than bash 20 creepy nurses while going to my next destination.

It didn't feel that way to me at all. I found constantly having to keep on my toes made the game better.

Maybe you guys are approaching this the wrong way. Don't think of Heavy Rain as a "game", think of it as a completely new thing, like an interactive movie. It just happens to share the platform with a bunch of video games.

Judge it on its own merits, not based on your preconception of a "video game".

I'm not sure if this was aimed at me, but it was at the end of a post where you quoted me. I'm not saying Heavy Rain isn't a game. I haven't played it and, while parts of it look a bit tedious, haven't formed an opinion on it. It looks somewhat like Indigo Prophecy, a game I enjoyed until I reached the end and found the storyline unraveled.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

It's aimed at "you guys" which also includes you(since writing "you guys and gals" would be pretty weird, sorry). I'm not saying that you're saying that Heavy Rain isn't a game(holy sentence structure, Batman!), I'm saying that maybe you(that's all of you) shouldn't compare Heavy Rain to other games. Let it stand on it's own merits as an interesting, unique experience and then decide whether you like it or not.

Edited by Purkake

Regardless of what pretentious medium it's trying to fit itself into or create, the game or whatever artsy term you want to use can be judged on an universal level when it comes to writing/story/characters and can be compared to any other game/book/film/purkake that features writing/story/characters. The interactivity (and its execution of) can also be compared and contrasted with other whatevers that have used interactivity to portray their experience.

If the former is bad, I can't see myself caring enough to bother with the latter. I'm just basing it on the demo and past David Cage warcrimes rather than judging the game on its own merits, so nyah nyah nyah don't understand art waah waaah promoting the stagnancy of the medium blah blah go back to Halobox etc etc.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Regardless of what pretentious medium it's trying to fit itself into or create, the game or whatever artsy term you want to use can be judged on an universal level when it comes to writing/story/characters and can be compared to any other game/book/film/purkake that features writing/story/characters. The interactivity (and its execution of) can also be compared and contrasted with other whatevers that have used interactivity to portray their experience.

If the former is bad, I can't see myself caring enough to bother with the latter. I'm just basing it on the demo and past David Cage warcrimes rather than judging the game on its own merits, so nyah nyah nyah don't understand art waah waaah promoting the stagnancy of the medium blah blah go back to Halobox etc etc.

That's what I was trying to say. I'm not defending Heavy Rain's story or whatnot here, I'm just saying that instead of trying to figure out if it's a good game, judge it by it's story/presentation/etc.

And seriously 'it's like a fighter because all you do is push buttons'. I mean, seriously. Really. Honestly. Seriously. I mean, yeah. Jeez, man, jeez.

No words man, no words.

Dunno where you're getting this ****. Fighting games are not just "pushing buttons". They are slightly more than that. They're "pushing the right buttons at the right time", a game experience which QTEs are a basic distillation of. You don't get "press X now", exactly, but there are cues that you read and respond to by pressing buttons.

It's not an illegitimate sort of gaming experience.

... did anyone really expect the game to have good writing and story? Or at least as good as it promised?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

... did anyone really expect the game to have good writing and story? Or at least as good as it promised?

It's better than some of the other garbage that's appeared. Although most of the misdirects he pointed out were rather... idiotic on reflection.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's better than some of the other garbage that's appeared.

Completely agreed on this one...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

It's better than some of the other garbage that's appeared.

Completely agreed on this one...

Sure, but it's broken *shruggs*.

As a game its bad, and as a story its broken.

Sure it's a fun engaging enough experience, at times, but I'm not certain that the result is that good. I'd have to give it another play through and compare. As it stands now, it's not doing alot well.

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Hmm, looking at some of the story and especially the ending, I think I know why Cage wanted you to only play it once.

Knowing who the origami killer is pretty much ruins any illusion of free choice you might have had

So without actually playing the game, my verdict would be good idea, poor execution. I do think that a lot of developers, especially RPG developers, should take a long hard look at Heavy Rain, see what it did well and where it failed to make their future games better.

EDIT: I'm also kind of disappointed that Quantic Dream still couldn't completely keep their dirty little hands out of the

supernatural

pie.

Edited by Purkake

Hmm, looking at some of the story and especially the ending, I think I know why Cage wanted you to only play it once.

Knowing who the origami killer is pretty much ruins any illusion of free choice you might have had

So without actually playing the game, my verdict would be good idea, poor execution. I do think that a lot of developers, especially RPG developers, should take a long hard look at Heavy Rain, see what it did well and where it failed to make their future games better.

EDIT: I'm also kind of disappointed that Quantic Dream still couldn't completely keep their dirty little hands out of the

supernatural

pie.

That's always gonna be the problem with mysteries like this. Once you know who did it you can metagame your way to the killer pretty quick. And I didn't notice anything of the last thing you mentioned

only thing I can think of is the ari/tripto hallucinations at the end of the game. WHY!? WHY DID THEY HAVE TO MAKE EVERY ONE OF MY NORMANS ENDINGS SUCK!? *sobs*

Over all I can't really see them doing much better than they did, at least with the particulars they chose.

Yup, that's the bit I was referring to. I think they tried really hard to keep it

grounded in reality

, but that bit still managed to slip in like an unwanted house guest. Also, they could have left it ambiguous with the

drugs

, but no.

Yup, that's the bit I was referring to. I think they tried really hard to keep it

grounded in reality

, but that bit still managed to slip in like an unwanted house guest. Also, they could have left it ambiguous with the

drugs

, but no.

I wouldn't call that supernatural

after all, other drugs have been known to give you hallucinations.

I gotta say though, Norman gets shafted. He either dies, has halloucinations, or becomes a hollow shell of himself depending on if he revived shaun or not. There is no real "good" ending for him