FO:NV: The Return of Gameplay Mechanics Discussion

Pidesco

Mr Sawyer. Please answer this; Will you be ever allowed to speak on your own forums (away from Beth's very intelligent, very caring and just moderators)?

And could you get the special into somewhat better use?

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

I'm sure only partly infringing copyright is much better than posting the whole page.

Just a week ago people were raving about piracy and DRM, now everyone is happily infringing copyright.

You're still free to post a picture of your massive game collection.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Mr Sawyer. Please answer this; Will you be ever allowed to speak on your own forums (away from Beth's very intelligent, very caring and just moderators)?

And could you get the special into somewhat better use?

Josh told me to tell you that he hates all of you and he's only in it for the money.

Ugh the game looks terrible. Not in the sense it doesn't sound fun - but I was hoping (wishful thinking, I guess) that somehow FO:NV wouldn't be as ugly as FO3. Heck, this just looks like a big DLC to FO3. Gamebryo really can't look all that good, can it?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Gamebryo is a dead engine. It is like what, 4+ years old as it was used in FO:3? You can only do so much with limited time and budget so it is understandable that they skimpled on improving the visuals even if it is not desirable.

There is 1 serious confusion about the press release however, The alternate lines of dialogue thing got sacrificed to vaugness of English I think. How does it happen?

You have an option that says "I'll start with ambush" but if you have high skill it reads a meaningfull sentence and if you have low skill it reads an idiotic version OR can you chose to use the idiotic version even if you have the good version? (Total Replacement or Additional alternative Lines)

And shouldn't some lines have penalties like karma, rep, reward (amount) changes? I mean a smooth talker would impress people more. I guess....

Edited by cronicler

So if the PC is a courier, what was he carrying and will it be important?

My vote is on a can of easy-cheese for some white haired old codger who loves his cards.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

It's totally unrealistic to expect any sort of major graphical upgrade - it's exactly like FO2, you will see most of the work done in making new art assets (for city Vegas, for instance) and maybe some interface upgrades. Gamebryo is very old, to boot. I'm sure there will be some comments about its aged graphics, but in this timeframe it'll probably make the cut and be a worthy game in its own right (thanks to dev focus on story / etc) and a good business move to release 1 more game with the same engine and shared assets.

I think that is better. Black and White is good for sensationalim but at the end it just makes it a flick or a cheap paperback or whatever. Things that have more than 2 dimensions, even if it's not a complete 3rd dimension is good for the mind. Chewy but tasty in a way :)

The mutant and the Russian chick in AP both - either it's going to myssteriously work out in the actual game, or it'll be very stupid.
What russian chick? :p

Josh told me to tell you that he hates all of you and he's only in it for the money.
:)

Probing devs for answers, try #42146: Will Caesar's Legion still have the roman army vibe (graphically)?

I'm asking this on both boards :)

Alright, if Josh could answer that one, I would be really grateful :)

It's again about the dialogue system and the answers linked to a skill check. I understand there is a "failure" and "success" line of dialogue, depending on our score in the corresponding skill. I also understand there is no "make things worse" consequences if we choose to do it with a skill score that is far below what is needed to succeed. So I have two questions :

--- what happens if we can use our knowledge in multiple skills for one bit of conversation, but we only have one option that can succeed because we suck at all the other skills, but we still choose an option doomed to fail : does the discussion stop there and we have royally screwed up because the NPC is not about to trust us about anything now, or do we still get to try the other options? Because right now I find the whole thing weird, as in we try all the "failures" options for the flavour text and then finally choose the good option. Of course, there are exemples where I know I shouldn't worry, like the one with the guy ready to cut you up : if you fail once, he won't let you go away with it, I'm sure. But what of skill checks to convince someone of helping you, but where you can impress him with your abilities with a firearm or your knack for explosives, but you suck at pistol, and still choses the pistol option? Do we still get the chance to try the other skill check?

--- in case we have the skills to succeed, is it automatic success or is there still a "check" to see if you actually succeed?

--- in case we have the skills to succeed, is it automatic success or is there still a "check" to see if you actually succeed?
Wasn't it specifically said it's a below/over threshold check? So under 10%-failure, over 10%-success.

It's not clear for me, but hey I'm perhaps way too much influenced by the D&D rules with their dice throwing :) After all, there can be a difference between an answer that is so dumb and shows of the player's character's incompetence ("failure" option) and a response that is really convincing but the results can still be influenced by chance!

I'm not sure if he's currently composing for a game or not but someone at either NMA or Duck and Cover (I think) contacted him and he confirmed that he was not working on New Vegas. I think we'll see Inon Zur returning. At least, the theme he did for Fallout 3 made a return in the New Vegas teaser trailer.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0