What are You playing now?

Gorth

Dennis H doesn't feature in the VO credits... but the rangers sound just like him as Snake Doctor in The Unit.

VO is important to me. And RTS games aren't noted for their excellent VO (Silo Needed!) so CoH deserves a special mention.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm getting tired of The Witcher.

I picked it up for about $13 in the Steam holiday sale, and started playing it last weekend. It's now early in Chapter 2, and my motivation to keep going is waning. None of the characters I've met are particularly interesting. The storyline motivation isn't all that compelling. (Some guys took some stuff I don't care about from some people who claimed to know me but who I don't remember, killing some guy I just met. The game really needs an option to say "Screw you guys-- I'm going to go try to find out who the heck I am and what the heck happened to me for the last 5 years rather than chase after your missing PEDs.") The game tries to be "dark" by making everyone you talk to either a jerk or a whore, which has the effect of emphasizing that I don't particularly care what happens to any of them. The rhythm-game-style combat is tedious and lacking in any kind of challenge, and the quest design is set up to feature "walking back and forth across the same map over and over again" as what the player spends the majority of his/her gametime doing.

I know that there are people around here who really like this game-- anybody care to make the case in favor of sticking with it a little while longer?

Edited by Enoch

I could make a long list of things I like in the game, but if you are allready in chapter 2 and you still don't like it, well, then you just don't like it.

No need to like them all, move on to something you like :shifty:

Still playing Machinarium. Bloody wonderful game.

Company of Heroes is dirt cheap now on Steam people! 3 euros for the original game + expansion!

yeah, plus a fee for paying with a credit card, which in my bank at least is more than 3 euros, so these micro transactions don't really work for me, I have to lump a lot of stuff together for it to make sense.

Dunno what you're talking about, my card wasn't charged anything extra. Its a Visa.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

@Enoch: no because you said you bought it so you could complain about it. Mission accomplished :shifty:

Yeah, that was mostly a joke. I had some suspicions that I wouldn't like it beforehand, but since I made the purchase, I have been trying to enjoy it as best I can.

There was also some really weird and out of place Lovecraftian stuff with Deep Ones there.

Dammit.. now i'm just getting songs from the Cthulhu musical going around and around my mind ... Curse You!

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I remember a carnivorous plant in the Witcher's swamps that kicked my ass everytime I tried to fight it... and no matter where I ran off to, it just kept following me around everywhere. Pretty annoying.

It whooped my ass too. Then I set it in flames and made toothpicks out of it. There's skills in strong silver that gives huge damage improvement if the target is in flames.

There was also some really weird and out of place Lovecraftian stuff with Deep Ones there.

I thought it was strange as well. Did the writer of the books just copy the Cthulhu stuff just like that or did the devs do that?

I'm recalcitrant to say that they "ripped off" anything. The Lovecraft Mythos has always been sort of common property amongst pulp fiction writers. As it should be.

Besides, they weren't deep ones. I'm pretty sure they were star spawn.

As for their being poorly shoehorned into the gameworld, yeah probably. It helps to make oblique references to things if you want to make your gameworld seem like it has hidden depths and goings-on far beyond the immediate concerns of the player character. As far as references go it was actually pretty good. Say what you will about the Lovecraft Mythos, it's not the type of relentlessly dull stuff you usually see in the Witcher gameworld.

Edited by Pop

Dammit.. now i'm just getting songs from the Cthulhu musical going around and around my mind ... Curse You!

A Shoggoth on the Roof? :shifty:

I'm recalcitrant to say that they "ripped off" anything. The Lovecraft Mythos has always been sort of common property amongst pulp fiction writers. As it should be.

Besides, they weren't deep ones. I'm pretty sure they were star spawn.

Any self-respecting star spawn would have a bunch of deep ones with it.

As for ripping stuff off, it felt just out of place, like whoever put it there just copy-pasted a Call of Cthulhu adventure in there. Using it as inspiration and building on it or referencing to it is fine, but just putting a chunk of it in the middle of your game isn't all that nice.

Edited by Purkake

I decided to get something my laptop can use as I find myself clocking more and more time with it.

Xcom 2 terror from the deep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minimum: Windows XP*, 33MHz 386, 4MB RAM, 520KB Free Disk Space, DirectX 6.1 or later.

You must have a mouse attached to the computer. (We mean the input device; please do not glue or staple helpless little animals to the keyboard.) The mouse driver must be Microsoft mouse version 8.01 or higher or something fully compatible with this.

Minimum: Windows XP*, 33MHz 386, 4MB RAM, 520KB Free Disk Space, DirectX 6.1 or later.

You must have a mouse attached to the computer. (We mean the input device; please do not glue or staple helpless little animals to the keyboard.) The mouse driver must be Microsoft mouse version 8.01 or higher or something fully compatible with this.

33 mhz processor running XP, that's one little engine that could.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

33 mhz processor running XP, that's one little engine that could.

Wow. How old is that thing? I'm amazed that it still runs, but then again it probably produces 1/10 the heat of modern laptops.