Fallout

TwinkieGorilla

System freezes, sometimes reboot.

Brand new console, and as for the disc it was a rented copy right after release and in perfect shape.

No, it was the game itself, others have reported game-crashing bugs in XBOX as well.

When everyone is running the same software on the same hardware, if it was the game itself, then everyone would have those same problems.

I've had problems with PS1 and PS2 games crashing/freezing on me, and they were all rented games, most of which didn't appear to have any troublesome looking marks or scratches on the disc. For example, the copy of Vice City for PS2 from the (then) local Blockbuster looked fine, but when entering a certain part of the city graphics wouldn't load properly and the game would eventually freeze, making it impossible to move past a certain part of the story. A brand new copy of the game however, didn't have this problem. So while the rental disc looked fine it obviously wasn't.

I had quite a few games with serious issues on the 360, and I'm pretty sure it was a combination of the game and the hardware. Fable 2 caused a few big crashes and eventually a RRoD. Saint's Row 2 had about an hour limit before it would freeze.

I loved my 360, but it is far from a stable platform.

My Fallout 3 crashed sometimes (completely locking up the computer), but it was OK. Then I bought some DLC for it and now it's unplayable. Almost everytime I enter a building, I can expect a crash. I still have Fallout 3 installed, but I haven't started it up in probably six months. It's that annoying.

I'm wondering Mkreku, if you were running the game with mods installed? And if you are, have you tried troubleshooting them?

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

Especially since Beth won't be releasing any more games under

-_- They're not using gambryo anymore? I thought they were dead set on keeping it.

I believe finding a replacement for gamebryo in id tech 4 was the real driving reason zenimax bought out id software. Gamebryo is pretty played out and already strained past the breaking point, whereas tech 4 is being freshly built from the ground up to create the sort of games that are bethesda's bread and butter. Without it, Bethesda won't be able to evolve their software in the coming years and it would mean their eventual financial death.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

My Fallout 3 crashed sometimes (completely locking up the computer), but it was OK. Then I bought some DLC for it and now it's unplayable. Almost everytime I enter a building, I can expect a crash. I still have Fallout 3 installed, but I haven't started it up in probably six months. It's that annoying.

I'm wondering Mkreku, if you were running the game with mods installed? And if you are, have you tried troubleshooting them?

Well, I was using a few different mods, but when I bought the DLC I un-clicked them all in the launcher. I didn't know if they would be compatible. Hmm, maybe I should do a clean install? Or could the mods be affecting the game even when they're not being used (except for one small interface mod, think it was called BetterUI)?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

...whereas tech 4 is being freshly built from the ground up to create the sort of games that are bethesda's bread and butter.

Are you sure you mean id Tech 4? The Doom 3 engine? Because Carmack is, as far as I know, working on id Tech 5 right now. Seeing as that has the "megatexture" feature, it would seem a better fit than the all-indoors id Tech 4..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well, I was using a few different mods, but when I bought the DLC I un-clicked them all in the launcher. I didn't know if they would be compatible. Hmm, maybe I should do a clean install? Or could the mods be affecting the game even when they're not being used (except for one small interface mod, think it was called BetterUI)?

The game and mods are suppose to follow a certain order. One way to make sure this happens is to use FOMM, Fallout Mod Manager. Order of preference is Fallout3.esm, DLC (Which I would set in the order they were released), and mods. Some mods should be set up ahead of other mods. Just read the installation text to see if mod x needs to be ahead of another. I thought the Anchorage DLC broke my game because after I did that, I couldn't go inside any buildings in any of the DC area. It just so happens I didn't have the proper install order. I had mods that were ahead of the Anchorage DLC.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

On id tech 4/5, oopsie, you are correct sir. I misspoke.

As for the mod compatbility thingy... a whole range of conflict sources can come up between the mods and the dlc. Just a few examples:

*Playing the game with any patch 1.5-beyond with mods installed that predate 1.5 and alter anything in any world cell will likely cause the game to crash as the cell is loaded, ie right after opening a door that is portal between two cells.

*Save games that were originally created using a very large amount of mods and patches predating 1.5 that are later patched up and have their offending mods removed, can rapidly corrupt after patch up.

*Last thing I can think of, most 1.5 conflicting mods are of the variety that alter cells, but not all of them. Sometimes a clean install helps things, but it will never cause a patch and a mod to play nice. Luckily there is a tool to help you find and remove the offending mods: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=637

So anybody using mods? Any good ones? I'm using MMM and Enhanced Weather and the former seems really cool, at least.

I'm wondering specifically about FO3: Wanderer's Edition. It looks really great, but I've been burned terribly by total game overhauls before. Anybody played it?

To the "Developer"

-When ya guys are doin FNV... can ya fix a little something that F3 actually... missed..

"3rd person mode"

The whole thing kinda sucks... it just looks and feels awkward...

To all

Can my Fallout(in my Ps3) get a Mod?

Nope.

To the "Developer"

-When ya guys are doin FNV... can ya fix a little something that F3 actually... missed..

"3rd person mode"

To all

Nope.

Agh?! DOOMED!

CAN U HAZ PC VURSHIN?

:)

To the "Developer"

"3rd person mode"

To all

Nope.

Agh?! DOOMED!

CAN U HAZ PC VURSHIN?

:rolleyes:

Haha.. wut?

To the "Developer"

"3rd person mode"

To all

No, not really. FPV was perfectly fine in F3, and I prefer first-person games always over third-person shooters. Yeah, I know, it sounds corny, but it's because of the immersion.

Also, Bethesda using idTech 5 for future RPGs would be a welcome step, since idTEch5 is able to render these large outdoor spaces.

As long as Bethesda drops Gamebryo, I'm happy.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

To the "Developer"

"3rd person mode"

To all

No, not really. FPV was perfectly fine in F3, and I prefer first-person games always over third-person shooters. Yeah, I know, it sounds corny, but it's because of the immersion.

As someone who forced himself to play the game in tp, no. It was not perfectly fine.

For one thing, the crosshair doesn't actually represent where you're aiming a good deal of the time, and the camera completely ****s up if something walks behind you. Similarly, it does not deal with walls very well.

MY point is that.. even if you want to play the game in 3rd person.. you won't because it looks bad.. the cross hair is more likely blocked by his head.. the animation sucks.. and... its overall.. uh.. part of being there..

I would love to see the 3rd person mode to fell and play like uncharted or GTA.. (3 and beyond)

Just an opinion >.>

MY point is that.. even if you want to play the game in 3rd person.. you won't because it looks bad.. the cross hair is more likely blocked by his head.. the animation sucks.. and... its overall.. uh.. part of being there..

I would love to see the 3rd person mode to fell and play like uncharted or GTA.. (3 and beyond)

Just an opinion >.>

+1

That would actually make fallout 3 playable (for me and my humble subjective opinion etc.)

The crosshairs in fallout 3's 3rd person view that were pointing anywhere but where you were aiming was one of, if not the, most frustrating game feature i've ever seen.

On a sidenote, i preferred KOTOR 2 's 3rd person play over GTA4.

Edited by jero cvmi