Fallout

TwinkieGorilla

Every one of JE's answers in this thread is one of the reasons I keep coming back to this forum. :blush:

...I guess one day I'm going to have to try to play Fallout. Perhaps I'll buy it from GoG.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I didn't even think that was possible on post win98 operating systems

What planet are you from?

Isn't that one of MS's big "adavnces" in post Win 98 operating systems? That the OS never lets the application touch the system/hardware? So the OS can always remain in control? To be fair, it is much better now than under DOS-based systems. Most times the OS shuts down violating application without hanging the system.

I think it is amusing that Fallout 3 is one of the few games that manages to get around this somehow. There isn't even a message in the event viewer about what just happened.

I should point out that FO3 doesn't always hard lock. Most of the time it just crashes back tp the OS or gets shut down by the OS.

It is quite the crash prone game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Fallout 3, though... have you even played on the PC? My computer restarts completely with no warning every half hour when playing.

Sounds more like a hardware issue. Do you get a BSOD? Try disabling "automatic restart upon system failure" in control panel and see what it says.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

No thanks, I'll just stay away from the game.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Fallout 3, though... have you even played on the PC? My computer restarts completely with no warning every half hour when playing.

Sounds more like a hardware issue. Do you get a BSOD? Try disabling "automatic restart upon system failure" in control panel and see what it says.

Yeah, that's pretty much your system. With that attitude, you might as well give up on PC gaming in general.

What do you mean? I've played loads of other newer and even very old games without any of these problems.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

What do you mean? I've played loads of other newer and even very old games without any of these problems.

Every PC game is different, and the amount of different PC configurations out there are countless. You might have luck with a lot of games, but eventually you will need to troubleshoot if you really want to keep playing PC games. It's just odd that you would rather give up and blame the game rather than trying to fix the problem.

There are thousands of people that managed to play Fallout 3 without it crashing every 30 minutes. I'm not saying the game doesn't have technical issues, it has plenty, but crashing that often is something on your end, not just the game.

Every PC game is different, and the amount of different PC configurations out there are countless. You might have luck with a lot of games, but eventually you will need to troubleshoot if you really want to keep playing PC games. It's just odd that you would rather give up and blame the game rather than trying to fix the problem.

There are thousands of people that managed to play Fallout 3 without it crashing every 30 minutes. I'm not saying the game doesn't have technical issues, it has plenty, but crashing that often is something on your end, not just the game.

Fallout 3 crashes a LOT though. Just as much if not more so than other games that have a reputation for being very buggy, such as STALKER or Bloodlines.

I used to think it was just my system, but I've since found out that a lot of people have a problem with it. And the crashes are pretty random. I've had the game crash 3 times within just moments of each other, then go hours without crashing.

Every 30 minutes without fail does sound like it might be something strictly beyond F3's problems though.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

For me FO 3 crashed once, STALKER and Bloodlines never did.

You are in tune with the computer gods, undoubtedly. :)

Can you put in a good word for those less forunate?

I'm aware, but a lot of people seem to have equal amounts of problems with crashes (although not as severe). I'm actually suspecting FO3 just crashes normally (IE, to desktop), but my PC configuration somehow messes up afterwards.

Also I have the game on the 360, so I'm not abandoning it. :)

By the way, playing F3 on your PC in windowed mode helps prevent catastrophic crashes. It doesn't make the app itself less likely to crash, but it's a lot easier to recover from.

Heh, that trick also works for FallenEarth with the added benefit of boosted performance for the multicore cpu crowd. I'll have to give it a shot.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

Not really. Once Bethesda gives the engine to Obsidian, they'll help Obsid in terms of tips and knowledge and whatnot, but Obsid will do the actual work. Especially since Beth won't be releasing any more games under the engine themselves. They're surely looking at TESV, and whatever else (*cough* mmo)

My Fallout 3 crashed sometimes (completely locking up the computer), but it was OK. Then I bought some DLC for it and now it's unplayable. Almost everytime I enter a building, I can expect a crash. I still have Fallout 3 installed, but I haven't started it up in probably six months. It's that annoying.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Fallout 3 crashed to desktop once or twice, but otherwise I never had a problem with it. Oblivion was also pretty good, until I got a new video card and then it crashed all the damn time. Mostly when using doors to move between indoor and outdoor areas. Once the video card was eventually replaced the problem was solved.

Fallout 3 crahsed every 1 or 2 hours for me.

That's what i get for playing it on XBOX.

What happens when a console game crashes? System freezes? Switches off?

Anyway, this is a problem either with that specific disc, that specific console, or some sort of power issue, not the game itself.