Assasin's Creed 2

vault_overseer

i want a game set nearabouts the french revolution before the inevitable future game comes

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

the countering fighting style of AC was my favorite part of the game, it made me feel like a real badass swordsman when i could kill 10-15 soldiers without taking a scratch (not to mention the myriad awesome kill animations).

i also thought the fighting system in batman arkham asylum was brilliant for similar reasons. i dont think EVERY game should have that style of combat, but it makes sense sometimes.

Personally, I think it's fine. I'd rather have to use nuanced timing than God of War-style deliberate button mashing.

The point I'm trying to make is that the people who hated the first game's combat will probably hate AC2's combat.

I actually loved AC1's combat. Even if it got repetitive, you could always try to switch to the hidden blade only and spice things up a bit.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Is playing the first installment required for fully appreciating this one? I never played AC1 because of the many reports on how repetitve it was.

The "overarching" story is pretty much pants-on-head crazy and the individual game stories are self-contained AFAIK, so it depends on whether you care about the crazy future story.

See the ZP review for a short overview.

What I loved about Batman's combat is definitely how badass it made me feel haah.

Me too. I secretly giggled for myself just to give expression on how satisfying it was to take down 12 guys at once. Like so:

"I am a kung-fu GOD!!!"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I suppose it really depends on how much you care about the AC story. As somebody who's usually all about story, the story in the AC1 pretty much felt like a way to get from point A to point B. I haven't finished AC2 yet, but I get a similar impression there. It's not bad, but it doesn't necessarily suck me in, nor do I find myself pondering it much when I'm not playing the game. I give them credit for trying something fairly different, at least.

Anyone else miss the feel of being a part of an organization as an assassin?

I donno, but in the first one because all of the missions were assigned by Am'ualim (or whatever) it felt like I wasn't just an assassins, I was part of an organization and thus more faceless. In AC2 the ONLY assassin in the world seems to be Ezio and everyone knows who and what he is after one of your first kills.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I figured it was a memory error thing (=things happened somewhat different than Desmond "remembers" and this is how the system tries to make sense of it).

Which doesn't make any more sense, but sounds cool.

The one thing I miss thus far are the more orchestrated murders that were featured in AC1. Things like leaping across the pylons in the harbor to reach the ship where the guy was shooting arrows off into the bay. Thus far most of the assassinations are more hit-and-run affairs where you're told exactly where the dude is and just go slice his throat. Apart from that, it's pretty amazing.

Matthew Rorie

Since I am reasonably assured that they made the gameplay less mindnumbingly repetitive and hand-held like a baby whose brain got stolen by a pack of angry monkeys, I only have one key question:

Do the developers still have delusions of writing grandeur and force you to listen to people you assassinated for 10 minutes, and go through the idiot future segments?

The game better be very fun to make me suffer such a slow death for my brain cells.

Pretty much every death dialogue is along the lines of "My god! I'm dead! NOOOO!" with Ezio saying something in responce that's along the same lines. (Like one guy says "I'm dying? No, I'm not ready yet!" and ezio responds "nobody is" and says something in italian about the subject before RIP)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.