Dragon age discussion

Gorth

Yeah, I would also like if the PC wouldn't be the center of the world for a change. But it's bioware... so I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

IMO DA was a big step in that direction. Alistair & Morrigan, have a far greater impact on the story then any other character from a Bio game.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Sure, but that step was like a little hop from having absolutely no impact at all to having some impact at the end of the game. Direction is right, I hope Bio stays on it.

Yeah, I would also like if the PC wouldn't be the center of the world for a change. But it's bioware... so I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Then you want to be regulated to being the lacky for the entire game of a NPC who does all the cool activites? Pretty sure most game producers would say thats a death sentence trying to pitch or/and sell such a game.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Then you want to be regulated to being the lacky for the entire game of a NPC who does all the cool activites?

Well, yes and no. I bored to be the hero who goes about saving worlds and has huge influence over everything that happens in that world. I'd like if there would be more higher-up NPC's who would set things in motion on their own. It doesn't automatically mean you can't do cool stuff if you aren't the most important person in the world.

Edited by Slinky

I'd like if there would be more higher-up NPC's who would set things in motion on their own. It doesn't automatically mean you can't do cool stuff if you aren't the most important person in the world.
That would Loghain, no?

He plays major part in the beginning, arguably betrays the king to further his own goals, hunts you down for the duration of the game, and so forth...

Because he's NPC and you're the PC you wont get to see him _actually_ do all those things, but he does at least as much in the game as the PC up to the point where you defeat him.

That would Loghain, no?

He plays major part in the beginning, arguably betrays the king to further his own goals, hunts you down for the duration of the game, and so forth...

Betraying the king, yes, me likes, but the rest.. one assassin and couple soldiers in a tavern in Lothering? Was there anything else before the landsmeet? That's not much in my opinion.

DA2 should be called Dragon Age: Deities, where you become a god and build cities, transport infrastrucure, power, light transit networks and culture / entertainment facilities for the people of Ferelden.

You can then post your virtual Ferelden on a special website with all the other virtual Fereldens and argue about who has the biggest Chantry / aqueduct / tavern.

sonsofgygax.JPG

DA2 should be called Dragon Age: Deities, where you become a god and build cities, transport infrastrucure, power, light transit networks and culture / entertainment facilities for the people of Ferelden.

Agreed, that or your character could become a Bhaalspawn... oh wait. :lol:

Seduce would have been a awsome option to have. Look to Bloodlines for IMO CRPG dialog done right.

The problem with Bloodlines is that virtually every character is a bisexual, as long as you had appropriate seduction skill. I just introduced a friend of mine to the game and played it again myself, and while the dialogue is well done, the seduction ones were probably the weakest of them.

Though persuade, intimidate, malkavian, and domination options were all typically quite well done.

I dont see that as a 'problem' but to each their own.

In the proper context their could have been a few seduce dialog options at various points in the game that would not have felt forced. Desire demons (flip the tables on them for example) come right to mind. As a whole the bloodlines dialog > DA as BL it seemed to flow more natually. Not to say the DA dialog was bad. Quite the opposite, most of it was good. But the obvious in your face foreshadowing and some of the forced fed storyline reduced its quality IMO.

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I dont see that as a 'problem' but to each their own.

I think it's silly that every person you can seduce in the game is bisexual. It's one thing to have access to have homosexual and heterosexual romances, but I think it takes away from the setting to have anyone be available to being seduced regardless of the sex of the player character. To look at Dragon Age, there's no indication that Alistair would be interested in a homosexual relationship, and I have no problems with that not being a viable option because it makes his character consistent. Zevran, on the other hand, was pretty up front about being rather indiscriminate, so it makes sense that he'd be bisexual. I'm also in support of characters that would have exclusively homosexual romances (though I doubt that would happen), as long as it makes the character consistent.

I think it would have added to Bloodlines if seduction had been better thought out than it was. With someone like Jeanette, sure it makes sense. But every person you bump into a bar is willing to make out with you regardless of gender doesn't seem particularly plausible.

On the whole the dialog in both games is pretty well done, but I'd give the edge to Dragon Age.

Before this thread gets locked down due to size, I thought I'd play cultural influence spotting. Dave Gaider really has been an intellectually superior Ed Greenwood (Forgotten Realms) with DA:O and I salute him for it. Although I'm not a big Codex reader in the game, there's clearly a lot going on "under the hood" that you pick up by osmosis - the hallmark of a superior homebrew RPG setting.

It is, however, a bit all over the place but hey, it's a game.

--- DA:O Cultural Influence Spotting ---

The Tevinter Imperium (Rome with a smattering of Byzantine Empire / late Ottoman Turkey) fades as it gorges on Blood Magic (i.e. pagan worship and decadence) that gives way to a shaky but growing world religion (The Chantry) that wants to curb paganism (magic). Meanwhile, in Dark Ages / Celtic Ferelden (Tolkien's Rohan filtered through Welsh and Irish mythos) they've developed high medieval armouring technology, probably due to the dwarves and magic. The Darkspawn is Revelations writ large, every early Christian's worst end-of-days nightmare. The warring Banns are straight out of late Dark Ages Briton or even high medieval Scotland. The architecture in most chantry buildings can be seen in Canterbury Cathedral, about 60-odd miles from where I live. Meanwhile, in faraway Qunnari land, a mystical, technologically advanced people with a rigid theological doctrine (er, the Almohads advancing on Poitiers, or the Turks advancing on Constantinople if you want to factor in the cannon) scare the Franks (sorry, Fereldens).

Any takers?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Then you want to be regulated to being the lacky for the entire game of a NPC who does all the cool activites? Pretty sure most game producers would say thats a death sentence trying to pitch or/and sell such a game.
Sounds like Starcraft to me. Or pretty much every RTS.

The Tevinter Imperium (Rome with a smattering of Byzantine Empire / late Ottoman Turkey) fades as it gorges on Blood Magic (i.e. pagan worship and decadence) that gives way to a shaky but growing world religion (The Chantry) that wants to curb paganism (magic). Meanwhile, in Dark Ages / Celtic Ferelden (Tolkien's Rohan filtered through Welsh and Irish mythos) they've developed high medieval armouring technology, probably due to the dwarves and magic. The Darkspawn is Revelations writ large, every early Christian's worst end-of-days nightmare. The warring Banns are straight out of late Dark Ages Briton or even high medieval Scotland. The architecture in most chantry buildings can be seen in Canterbury Cathedral, about 60-odd miles from where I live. Meanwhile, in faraway Qunnari land, a mystical, technologically advanced people with a rigid theological doctrine (er, the Almohads advancing on Poitiers, or the Turks advancing on Constantinople if you want to factor in the cannon) scare the Franks (sorry, Fereldens).

Any takers?

Ferelden = Rohan with dogs?

Tevinter Imperium falling to blood magic reminded me of the Roman Empire & the Mithras cult decadence.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

"The title "Dragon" Age certainly puts a limit on the time when a sequel takes place. If they fast-forward a couple of centuries, it can't exactly be called Dragon Age anymore."

By that logic, BG2 isn't BG2; but A1 right since it isn't set in Baldur's Gate anymore... Certainly didn't hurt hurt the game in any way.

DA2 could be set anywhere, and anytime BIO wants and still be called DA2. All the name really does is suggest what kind of gamestyle/setting it'll likely be.

My idea for DA2 is SPOILER, SPOILER, and SPOILER.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"The title "Dragon" Age certainly puts a limit on the time when a sequel takes place. If they fast-forward a couple of centuries, it can't exactly be called Dragon Age anymore."

By that logic, BG2 isn't BG2; but A1 right since it isn't set in Baldur's Gate anymore... Certainly didn't hurt hurt the game in any way.

There's a lore reason why it is called "Dragon Age".

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Any takers?

Tevinter Imperium falling to blood magic reminded me of the Roman Empire & the Mithras cult decadence.

I imagined Ferelden the old celtic communities of western Europe. Some seems inspired by old germanic tribes like the Franks (Orlais), Lombards (Antuvia) and I wouldn't be surprised if I some day found Goth and Vandal influences :)

I imagined the Qunari more like Huns than Almohads though, seeing that they feature here and there as mercenaries.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

How well is DA doing financially? I really want the game to do well so we can see more single player RPGs come out. Probably nowhere near Modern Warfare 2, but hopefully still good across all platforms.

Started another game with a Male dwarf casteless rogue. I'll have to eat my words earlier, the rogue class is actually quite fun to play.

> I think it's silly that every person you can seduce in the game is bisexual.

Who says they are all bisexual? Modern interpolation of the vampire marks it as having ability to hypnotize (aka 'glam' in true blood speak). This view of the vampire has been around since Victorian times when the modern vampire more or less came to be. Perhaps the BL devs took that stance; even if you don't have the clan ability with high enough persuasion you can seduce mortals. That

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

Any takers?

I imagined Ferelden the old celtic communities of western Europe. Some seems inspired by old germanic tribes like the Franks (Orlais), Lombards (Antuvia) and I wouldn't be surprised if I some day found Goth and Vandal influences :)

I imagined the Qunari more like Huns than Almohads though, seeing that they feature here and there as mercenaries.

Funny thing about how games and fictional stories mirror reality in many ways like Andraste. Someone at Bioware must have an interest in the Dark Ages, the Roman Empire and other sources of Medieval time period. Your quest for the Urn of Ashes is similar to that of the Quest for the Holy Grail.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester