Dragon age discussion

Gorth

Who says they are all bisexual? Modern interpolation of the vampire marks it as having ability to hypnotize (aka 'glam' in true blood speak). This view of the vampire has been around since Victorian times when the modern vampire more or less came to be. Perhaps the BL devs took that stance; even if you don't have the clan ability with high enough persuasion you can seduce mortals. That

"On the grand spectrum of writing, neither Dragon Age nor Bloodlines are particularly good"

wut? Both DA and BL have some of the best writing ever to be seen in games. yeah, they both have some over ther top cheesiness; but that's okay. But, yeah, it should have been obvious that lacroix was untrustworthy.

I don't know why harlequin plays BIO games. I may a BIO 'fanboy' (who feels KOTOR is overrated and the OC is only worthy of of 75%ish); but at least I like the games I play. He seemingly does not. *shrug*

The idea that vampires can turn someone 'bisexual' simply by vampires is a tad silly and is not a part of the typical vampire lore.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So I purchased the game and I'm pretty disappointed. As far as combat goes I knew it would be mmo style but that's not really where the complete lack of fun comes from. I don't enjoy the quest structure at all, the entire thing feels like one giant chore with a string of optional/mandatory chores mixed in. Especially that sorry horse s complete abortion excuse for a level that is that mage tower. Infuriatingly bad. The visuals are depressing as hell, I play on medium settings but its not the quality, its the crappy new trend of dark brown and muted colors. And there's so much talking, most of which is irrelevant, uninteresting and feels like an ordeal every time.

It reminds me of the witcher but at least that had some notable and appealing mechanics/story. Perhaps my tastes have just changed, I loved kotor and other bioware rpg's of the past but I find it hard to start this game up and play. Should have gotten MW2 instead. :'(

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

"I loved kotor and other bioware rpg's of the past but I find it hard to start this game up and play"

Funnily enough, KOTOR is BIO's worst game.

"And there's so much talking, most of which is irrelevant, uninteresting and feels like an ordeal every time. "

Never too much talking.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I suspect the lack of familiarity with the setting may have something to do with it? It took me a while to "get into" the setting too.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Slug: Sorry you feel that way. I'm really enjoying the game, but I've been craving a strong single player RPG for a while now and DA hit the spot for me. Could you elaborate on what you mean by quest structure? Are you talking about having to go to 4-5 different places and solve everyone's problems to advance the main plotline type structure?

And there's so much talking, most of which is irrelevant, uninteresting and feels like an ordeal every time.

did you play the human noble origin? that would partial explain your feelings. much o' the human noble origin dialogue were so over-the-top it were almost camp. the thing is, the dialogue weren't necessary horrible as written, but with full vo and puppet-acting from somewhat awkward digital characters, the heartfelt moments came off as laughable. whoever wrote the human noble origin don't have much experience with drama... as 'posed to short story, novel and even game writing. write for actors who is gonna have to speak your written lines is a different skill set than writing short story dialogue.

da writing is pretty good in parts and you does build up a tolerance to the way the digital actors don't seem to compliment the voice actor efforts... and some o' the vo is pretty darn good.

oddly enough, while Gromnir likes the game, am not sure we would identify one o' the jnpcs as a favorite of ours. loghain (not the dog, whom we also named loghain) had potential, but didn't live up to the promise. the gift/influence min-game actually kinda diminished the appeal o' the characters and their stories as we always felt as if we were gaming our party mates. sten and morrigain offer signifficant development avenues for a sequel, but there were too much unresolved for us to genuine likes how they were presented in da:origins. the ubg (ultimate bad guy) were no more developed than the lizard queen from nwn. why? the sauron kinda thing only works if the villain is genuine remote. we see and fight the ubg, and yet the confrontation is an emotional let down. "that's it?"

is a very good game, but the game has flaws... lots of flaws. big flaws. wacky mechanics, poor balance and some questionable story choices keeps da from being a spectacular game, but it is still a very good game... often in spite of itself.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"On the grand spectrum of writing, neither Dragon Age nor Bloodlines are particularly good"

wut? Both DA and BL have some of the best writing ever to be seen in games. yeah, they both have some over ther top cheesiness; but that's okay. But, yeah, it should have been obvious that lacroix was untrustworthy.

I was referring to all writing, including literature.

I'll agree that Dragon Age and Bloodlines both have excellent writing for computer games.

I just can't seem to find the world of Dragon Age interesting. I'm near the Landsmeet on my second run but I haven't felt this indifferent about the settings world since the Morrowind. I felt same way about Mass Effect too but finally got into that world a bit during my second run in that game. I guess Bioware just design their original IPs so that they don't feel interesting to me.

Then again, I like most of the companions in Dragon Age. They have that absurd, out-of-the-place "buffy the vampire slayer" thing going on - You can chat with 'em casually even when they are burning and bloodied. Alistairs "gay ramp" hairsyle to Stens ideas of sexual encounters. All campy and funny. I couldn't stop laughing when Alistair got into rant mode and started to accuse me of just about everything (might have something to do with -100 reputation or maybe some of choices I made in Redcliffe). In context of games plot the rant was so bizarre and absurd that it was quality humour.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Sten as a character in general and his frustrating humor = +100.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

IMO the foreshadowing in BL was better. Sure, both games are obvious with their foreshadowing (which would be the point, duh) but the Bio just slaps you in the face with it, while BL uses your genre savvy-ness. The prince is playing you, yes. There isn't much foreshadowing to it after the intro. He doesn't "say" much till you get downtown, but the Anarchs tell you anyway, so it's not like it's supposed to surprise you. Unless you don't know the setting. Anyone familiar with the setting would expect a two-faced prince. Then again, I've seen people familiar with it who don't know how the Sabbat really works.

OTOH, how many sides are there at the end? 3 + a few individuals? Maybe everyone else is a walking Lovecraftian cosmic horror with the universe's secrets bared before them, but I couldn't tell from just one playthrough which character lied in which detail.

Xiao killed Grout disguised as Nines

, for all we knew it could've been Xiao using her powers to push the blame on Lacroix.

oddly enough, while Gromnir likes the game, am not sure we would identify one o' the jnpcs as a favorite of ours. loghain (not the dog, whom we also named loghain) had potential, but didn't live up to the promise.
Yeah I expected more from him. What did he do after the prologue? Showed up in 3 cutscenes, being a rather incompetent "hero" in one (I can let this one slide), and very menacingly (yeah right) not caring about what Howe says to him.

Though I liked when his motives were properly explained at the end, it made sense.

I HATE THE DEEP ROADS. WHY DID YOU MAKE THEM BIO, WHY?!!!!!!

grind, grind, grind, loot, grind, grind and no play makes kaftan a dull boy

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Everything about Orzammar is great. The quests, characters, encounters and scenery.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

^ I loved the Deep Roads, they could have been twice as big but with more battles like the one on the bridge.

You mean the "Advance three steps, throw Waking Nightmare, cast Storm of the Century" battle?

I had an inkling that one was supposed to be epic.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I did Orzammar last as well. But while I loved the city, the Deep Roads really put me to sleep. I don't know if I was overleveled at that point but the combination of A) there really being a lot of battles and B) very little of it being actually challenging it was one of my least favourite parts of the game and one that will probably hurt the games replayability for me.

I dunno, I like the ancient underground roads type of vibe and all but... Didn't really like the combat.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0