Dragon age discussion

Gorth

^ The villagers are stirring, pitchforks and flaming torches at the ready. A few die-hard loyalist Bio shock-troops are fixing bayonets. It's getting ugly over there.

I think some Bio fans are struggling with the realisation that XPs are going the way of pop-tarts, MC Hammer's trousers and neo-conservative foreign policy.

Personally, I'll be interested to see how big this one is, just to see if Bio intend to knock out very short, relatively expensive content every couple of months. Because it won't work for long.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Sorry, no waffles but there will be some voicework, including from the followers. We put a particular focus on the various followers who were also present at the battle.
More text for Alistair and Morrigan. Wonderful.

Average playtime is always tough to pin down because everyone's mileage will vary (and developers player the game in a very different manner than a typical first-time player). I can do a speed run (skipping through conversations and cutscenes, using a buff party, controlling Dog, avoiding some combats, ignoring loot drops, not looking at the scenery, etc) in about 15-20 minutes. I suspect it would take a typical first-time player about an hour to complete.

Oh dear.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Sigh... I'll look at it but it's likely this one will also be a bad deal when it comes to price-per-content. Yet at $5 it's nearing the point where DLC becomes so cheap it's worth getting it just to support the game (id est Tripwires $1.99 skinpacks to support the free content provided for Killing Floor). I might get it, I might not - I'll have to think about this and see some more information... :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Average playtime is always tough to pin down because everyone's mileage will vary (and developers player the game in a very different manner than a typical first-time player). I can do a speed run (skipping through conversations and cutscenes, using a buff party, controlling Dog, avoiding some combats, ignoring loot drops, not looking at the scenery, etc) in about 15-20 minutes. I suspect it would take a typical first-time player about an hour to complete.

Oh dear.

Oh dear what? Its cheaper than Starbucks so thats an auto-greenlight, no? o:)

^ I thought that the opening salvo of DLC would be priced to reflect release hysteria rather than be representative of everything they do... like a $5 an hour taxi ride. I'm still fairly neutral about it, but...

...It looks like that an XP (i.e. new NPC, skills, 10-15 hours gameplay etc) is on the way out in faovur of these smaller transactions. As I declared, serenely and sage-like, a few weeks back, we are seeing a new single player game that works like a MMO being born. It might well be a very ugly baby.

If Bio releases a proper XP with a nice, big shiny adventure in it, something of the scale of MotB or SoZ then the Horde will be happy and have the choice to ignore these tiny cup-cake bites of DLC. If not and this model is it then I'm going to be a bit disappointed.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Another glaring problem with what I shall christen the Cup-Cake DLC model (small, sweet but not very substantial) is the narrative issue.

I finish DA:O with my 25th level character. Not unreasonably, I hope for an epic expansion that allows me, MotB like, to carry on a related story with my uber-powerful allies of yore. Then maybe another that allows me to play another origin in a different Ferelden adventure, maybe not as a Grey Warden. This obviates the issue of what and where I did in my original playthrough.

Cup-Cake model? Er, where does that fit? My next playthrough? Squeeze it in when in fact i'm swept up in the final part of the story arc? (Can't save Ferelden right now, I've got an old battlefield to poke about), be compelled to keep save-games at different points to check out the new DLC?

Seriously, this seems to me to be the biggest weakness - it actually puts me off more than cost.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Go to the Black City and beat the hell out of Maker and take his place. Next DA will be named as Dragon Age Black and White: Creature Origins.

Edited by Slinky

"^ scratched record. "

Look in the mirror, bub. But, alas, Alanshu called you out.

Brokern records is a common theme on the interent and youa r ejust as guilty as others.

Must I tell you the tale of stone and glass windows? It's a nice story.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Don't you kill the Archdemon at the end? What would be the next challenge? Another one? A same level 5 man party? Andraste's demonified spirit?

at the end of nwn2 you defeat the king of shadows. similar.

*shrug*

with d&d cr scheme, it were hard to come up with plausible continuations of games such as tob or motb... but otherwise, particularly with an original ip, am not seeing any bounds or boarders to a creative mind.

$5 means little to Gromnir, but am maybe gonna skip if we gets a mere 1 hour and some ph47 1007 for our quid. am not bent out of shape by ea's mercenary approach, but am not gonna play the sucker's role neither... treat da fans like junkies in need of a fix? is probable a pretty good business model, but am not gonna support... am not gonna get twisted by it neither though.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

What's the viewpoint on DLC if an XP still comes out?

My main concern is in my post a page back about where does the DLC fit into your original game?

I would like to see a substantial expansion, doesn't matter if it's DLC or not. Then I can take or leave the smaller pieces of DLC. A XP gives you something substantial - this cup cake DLC can only really give you a semi-detached bit of a game.

sonsofgygax.JPG