Modern Warfare 2 PC will not have dedicated servers

Deraldin

I'm getting a bit tired of that meme haha.

They make me laugh every time. The OFP one is awesome.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Infinity Ward Responds To PC Fanboys' Dedicated Server Woes

Modern Warfare fansite bashandslash.com recently reported that Infinity Ward is removing dedicated server functionality from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. With dedicated servers and the server browser that comes with them replaced with custom-built matchmaking, PC gamers will have an online experience functionally identical to console players. Among other things, this means that clans can't run their own servers with their own mods and rulesets for their own private (or public, if they feel like crushing some scrubs for giggles) use.

Predictably, nerds across world took to the Internet with a wailing and a gnashing of teeth that would make the Left 4 Dead community proud. An online petition to bring back dedicated servers at the time of this writing stands at 100,000+ signatures. However -- and this may shock some gamers with advanced persecution complexes -- this move was not made to tweak the noses of the PC community. Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella explain the decision as a conscious effort to improve their game for the vast majority of their players.

"We're just prioritizing the player experience above the modders and the tuners," says West. He points toward the mounting feedback IW has received from PC fans of Modern Warfare who couldn't find a decent server to play on between all of the cheaters, the insular communities, and huge skill level disparities that the original game's community fractured into. "We thought maybe it would be cool if the fans could play the game," he laughs.

IW says that gameplay concerns for the majority of MW2 players are the overriding reasons for the decision. Zampella downplays the obvious piracy prevention angle (IW has cited numbers of people online playing illegal copies of Modern Warfare up to 60 percent). "The Steam stuff helps with the piracy. I don't know that the matchmaking stuff does," he notes. West takes a shot at the motives behind some of the outrage, noting that there's money to made by selling dedicated servers and adspace on them: "It's a little dubious. Some of the people complaining are complaining with their pocketbook."

Again and again during our conversation, West and Zampella hammer the point that hardcore PC players lose very little to this change relative to the returns that casual to moderate fans will see. Clans can set up private matches to do their training or what have you; all they lose is the ability to customize the game on a deeper level with mods and such. Infinity Ward sees the addition of solid matchmaking and community support like IW-run tournaments to the PC as a huge win, and not something that could be done under the old system.

Why not have both? West does not want to include dedicated servers alongside the custom-built backend, stating that it would just "bifurcate the community."

;(

Edited by Purkake

They start off by saying that the community is divided between the hardcore and the causal. And then, basically they says that the hardcore players aren't enough to matter, and as such he'd rather lose those than "bifurcate the community" by offering both the matchmaking and the dedicated servers. Nevermind that he said first that the community was already divided to begin with. He even took the time to question the community's motives when complaining about this by saying they're actually just worried about the ad money.

It takes a lot of gall to say something like this and of course, it's to be expected that the "journalist" who talked to the guy failed to call him on it.

It's all about the spin.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

How exactly does this make more money for Activision as opposed to allowing both matchmaking and dedicated servers? It's cutting an option not substituting one thing for another.

Heja Sverige!!

It doesn't require money to be spent on it.

What money? It's a feature they've implemented before in their previous games, which should be coded exactly the same and work exactly the same. The dedicated servers are then managed by experienced people who've been running servers for years, know what they're doing and need little to no support.

Heja Sverige!!

Maybe they're just jerks.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It's just that companies, unlike people, are inherently rational, so there's probably some kind of logic behind this.

Wait a minute...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It doesn't require money to be spent on it.

What money? It's a feature they've implemented before in their previous games, which should be coded exactly the same and work exactly the same. The dedicated servers are then managed by experienced people who've been running servers for years, know what they're doing and need little to no support.

If dedicated server support was just "use the last iteration" then how come virtually every game doesn't have the exact same netcode?

How come Dragon Age isn't multiplayer? They could obviously just latch on NWN's network mode and dedicated server support, right?

If it was as costless as you claim it would be, they'd do it. UNLESS.... they felt it nipped into their bottom line by doing so. Either way, I see a motive for making more money. Unless you're claiming that Activision and Infinity Ward have actively decided to not included it, so that they will make less money on the game.

Edited by alanschu

They still wouldn't do it most likely [even if it were just a matter of sticking the netcode from the last one in]. For all the spin it is an antipiracy measure, if they leave out any netcode not related to IWnet it means that any pirated copies will not be multiplayer capable (well, theoretically at least, practically it would require something similar to a Steam emulator to be written, so not a trivial undertaking but probably possible in the medium term).

Edited by Zoraptor

How exactly does this make more money for Activision as opposed to allowing both matchmaking and dedicated servers? It's cutting an option not substituting one thing for another.

1. Piracy

2. When you have free mods available why would you buy their stupid $14.99 map packs and zombie DLC

3. From a sales perspective, they've got to care a lot more about making their game accessible than making their game hardcore-functional

• 2 weeks later...

for anyone who is still thinking about buying MW2 for PC, i recommend you to read whole article!!!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/11...you-thought.ars

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I did.

Since I play CoD games for their single player, I still intend to buy it at some point. I need a new video card first though.

this was actualy meant for people who enjoy multiplayer over single palyer in FPS ;)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Ive played a lot of COD4 mutliplayer and Im really amazed at all the crap they've done with MW2. There seems to be no real reason for it, its like they're just set to keep MW2 from being a serious multiplayer game like the original. Admin cant kick **** players anymore? You cant even use the console anymore?!! WTF.

"yeah, we sold 13 million copies of COD4 which was really stressful, so hopefully, this way we can get it down to just the console players."

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Haha, i love the developers attitude in all of this. Sounds like that idiot fratboy that you would have to beat when he started to talk too much crap. Ah well, idiots will follow the idiot, i guess. (I never cared for the CoD-series to begin with. Maybe MW was exponentially better than the latest iteration)

At a base case scenario, the developers are committing cognitive dissonance in this. It goes against every S.W.O.T.-analysis that there is for PC-user, namely: modding, sdks, dedicated servers and so on. The plebs that worship the one of the HD-consoles will not care until they do the next step: Remove HD-resolutions, thropies and voicechat in order to satisfy the Wii-market.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy