What you did today

Gorth

What about fraud, don't you have to produce picture id. I understand it's pretty common to just borrow a card from someone ensured and pretend to be that person.

Hmm, good question. I havent been to the doctor in years so I dont really remember if they asked me for ID. They definately asked for it two years ago when my wife broke her toe in a wave pool in Wisconsin, but that was one of those 24-hour care places and not a full blown hospital.

EDIT: I would also imagine if you were having some major procedure done, someone would have asked for ID at some point.

Edited by Gfted1

Wait, paperwork and bureaucracy go down when the government takes over? Huh.

Please don't turn this into one of those threads.

Over the weekend, I was shopping for groceries and impulse-bought a bottle of orange bitters. (This now brings my count of bottles of ****tail bitters to 3: Angostura, Peychaud's, and Orange.) Last night I made what I'll call an "antique martini" because it's how the drink was put together ca. 1880: roughly 3-4 parts gin (I like Plymouth) and 1 part good dry vermouth (Noilly Prat is the best of the common brands, and quality matters here), stirred with ice, strained into a chilled glass with 2 shakes of orange bitters in it, then garnished with a small twist of lemon peel. (Then, take an olive, throw it in the trash, and dump the brine down the sink. This drink does not need to be polluted with seawater to mask its flavor. If you must add one for the look, tradition, and to have a snack when you're finished, give it a thorough rinse beforehand.)

Whoever decided to change the recipe over the years was insane. Ian Fleming, of course, is at least partly to blame. As are the marketing firms that popularized vodka in the West in the 40s & 50s. And the famous functional alcoholics likes Churchill and Bogart who insisted upon the 'ultra dry' martini, with a veneer of machismo covering their addiction's need to maximize their C2H5OH intake, did their share of damage to all our taste buds as well.

OK :)

It seems a little harsh to balme Churchill. I like my martinis extra dry, but I'll admit your version sounds very good. My friend who mixes me the only martinis I tend to drink uses Hendricks gin. If that helps at all.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wait, paperwork and bureaucracy go down when the government takes over? Huh.

Paperwork can still go down if the system it replaces has excessive paperwork. A perfectly run privately run system will be more efficient, but simply being privately run doesn't necessarily mean things are more efficient.

Aristes is simply asking for health care reform, which can still be done entirely in the private sector. It's just reform aka change.

Hendrick's is a very good gin, although I'm not sure that it would be a good match with the orange bitters. With its distinctive cucumber/rose flavor, it is probably best served as I recall the maker recommends: with a cucumber slice dropped into the glass.

Just got back from a cringe worthy class. Philosophy, a group had to debate if god existed, and the pro god group felt like it had stolen half it's material from one of those bad young earth creationist groups.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

You know what's funny, though? I would think I would remember everything up to the point where they put me under, but I actually have lost several minutes previous. I can't remember anything from when I was still in the hallway before they rolled me into the operating room. Weird, huh?

That is weird. I can recall the bit before right up until the anaesthetist asked me to begin the count down, and I told him to **** off. ( I had been given a morphine pre-med, and was loving it)

I had been given Dilaudid some hours earlier and due for another shot which I declined figuring that it would be a waste for the hospital to adminster the medicine to someone who was going to be under anasthesia so soon. Trust me, I wanted to be out. I was counting every second until they put me under. Maybe that's what it is. My mind just decided that the extra few minutes of suffering in the hallway just wasn't worth remembering.

As far as the comment about reform goes, I wasn't really trying to spur debate. I just thought it was a little goofy and a bit funny. I mean, I was sitting here thinking that $105 out of pocket for over four hours in the operation and five days in the hospital was pretty damned good when *BAM* I get refunded even that.

I need to write a letter to the hospital today. I really did appreciate the care I received. Yeah, it's their job to act like they're concerned about your comfort even if they aren't, but as long as they act concerned, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. The bastard in the other bed can rot in hell for all I care. Rotten cry baby jerk. He was mad because they restricted him after he smoked in the bathroom and so he kept 'accidently' pressing the nurse call button. They didn't like him much.

Prediction: I will be visited by Coyotes later. I know because I'm grilling chicken tonight.

Preditction: I will probably be too drunk to care if and when they do come because I've only been home for 20 min and I'm already on my second drink.

Preditcion: I will watch the Baseball game tonight but will probably have to check the net in the morning because I won't remember who won.

Prediction: At least one of you out there wishes they were doing what I'm doing tonight! :)

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Don't you have a bunch of dogs, what are you worried about Coyotes for ?

I don't worry about them except that they make a mess. They knock the grill over, drive the dogs bonkers, usually in the dead of night. If they get too bad I just put my shotgun out the window and fire a shot in the air. That usually scatters them and keeps them away for a while. I keep trying to get pics of them though but my camera is crappy and they move fast. This is the only pic I've gotten so far:

post-10997-1256767100_thumb.jpg

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Isn't it illegal to fire a weapon into the air? You could hurt a poor cat a mile away or something.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I live way out in the sticks. My nearest neighbor is 4 miles away. Very little is illegal out here.

Thomas Sowell

You know I came across a fox while I was on campus a few years back. It looked at me. I looked at it. Then we walked our separate ways. However, lately, there have been more and more deer sightings inside the city. Kind of weird seeing a 8 point buck trotting down the street with a cop car following it.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Too much wind = too many allergy pills = too much sleep. Even the non-sleepy antihistamines can make me sleepy if I have to take them a lot...so now it's 1am, I just woke up, and I'll be awake all night. My sleep schedule is messed up again.

Oh yeah, my mom had a car accident last weekend. She has chest bruising but is ok, and it wasn't her 'fault', but it does make me nervous. She's becoming old and slow-reaction enough that I'm worried about her driving at all.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Went to the dentist yesterday. I'm not a spiritual man but I'd say its the closest thing to heaven on earth. Everything is so clean, relaxing and the people are so nice and there's even this "man" if you want to call him such a thing. He's tall, handsome, blue eyed, white haired and emanates infinite patience and kindness; kind of like how I'd imagine God in human form. Just being in the lobby makes me happy. I could never understand why anyone would hate the dentist it's like the greatest place on earth.

All I have to do today is get through my two classes and then I have a 4 day weekend. Of course it ends the day before dragon age release, horse s.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Got diagnosed with bipolar yesterday. That explains A LOT.

Your membership card to the secret society is in the mail.

Oh yeah, my mom had a car accident last weekend. She has chest bruising but is ok, and it wasn't her 'fault', but it does make me nervous. She's becoming old and slow-reaction enough that I'm worried about her driving at all.

Yeah, I was in a car accident some years ago and the seat belt bruised my chest. I had a class that morning and I went into it about 20 minutes before it ended and the professor said, "you're a little late." The class laughed. I responded, "Yes, I was in a car accident, but I didn't want to miss the first day of class."

Anyhow, my dad is getting old and I worry about him driving. He's 82 now and he still drives too fast. We're trying to convince him that maybe he should folks drive him places. His mind is still sharp, but you worry about reflexes, like you said. I hope you mom stays in good health, though. Getting in an accident is pretty traumatic, even for younger folks.

Got diagnosed with bipolar yesterday. That explains A LOT.

Your membership card to the secret society is in the mail.

Sweet, what are the benefits?

they'll be on the back of the card