What you did today

Gorth

My dad decided to cancel his Newsweek subscription. However, as they liked him so much, they decided to offer him a free subscription of the magazine until 2085. My dad will be 137 by the time the subscription ends.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I did a whole lot of nothing.

Back again?

Well yeah, I am an external student, I can be on here as long as I like, and I'm disciplined enough now not to get too distracted by the forums when I'm supposed to be doing uni, and it's a great community, so yeah.

Anyway to stay on topic, my laptop crashed a while back, but I saved my work, and lately I've been using my mum's laptop, and I get my new one this afternoon, or so I've been told.

Nice. How's the penal colony?

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Self-question of the day: "I can't be the only one who compulsively bookmarks almost everything, can I?"

...I import them every time I reformat, and thus I have 5 years worth. Clean out dead links now and then, but my bookmark file is still huge. Subcategories have subcategories...

I cleaned out a number of mine yesterday. I've still got a fair number of them, but probably no where near what you have.

Well today was a mix of relative goodness to slightly less goodness. Got my exam from acc 401 and got a 64 which honestly isn't too bad since I only had 1 day to study (which I didn't utilize well) and I messed up on some stupid stuff which just happened to be worth a ton of points. In the grand scheme of the class I can easily recover the points in other exams and what nots and I will likely get a B in the class if I can power through the next exam with plenty of study time.

I also got my exam back in tax and got a 66 which I know sounds bad but is actually right in line and slightly above the average of not just our class but all the tax classes under different professors. He ended up curving it and giving everyone 10% so a mid level C I am pretty proud of. My two "friends" in the class did pretty well (80 for the guy and 88 for the girl) but really those numbers equate to like 2 and 6 correct multiple choice questions.

The girl who got the 88 thanked me since all her studying was done with me and I think she said she owed me lunch, which would be awesome except she has a boyfriend, however, he just cheated on her, which again would be awesome but sorry ladies, you're usually pretty bad when it comes to scum bags and giving them second/infinite chances. But w/e I'll just go back to being bitter, miserable and alone. I think it's better that way for everyone, makes things less complicated.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

It's most likely not going to help, but I'll go ahead and post this here anyways seeing as I had actually met Morgan a couple of times (she was/is a friend of friend and occasionally came with them to things).

8431_1239936032505_1052400511_751512_2507783_n.jpg

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

It's most likely not going to help, but I'll go ahead and post this here anyways seeing as I had actually met Morgan a couple of times (she was/is a friend of friend and occasionally came with them to things).

New thread? Keep us posted, mate. Not that I can suggest anything which a competent investigator woudn't know already.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Guest The Architect

I have a research report on the stroop effect and an assignment on cocaine due in on the 26th, and I haven't started on them yet, so basically I'm a procrastinating ****. Even though I know this is important ****, and I should be working on them, like, uh, now, I'm not. Why do I do this? Yeah don't answer that. I'm an external student so I'm unfamiliar with how common university procrastination is, but if you've faced this problem before, how did you overcome it?

I have a research report on the stroop effect and an assignment on cocaine due in on the 26th, and I haven't started on them yet, so basically I'm a procrastinating ****. Even though I know this is important ****, and I should be working on them, like, uh, now, I'm not. Why do I do this? Yeah don't answer that. I'm an external student so I'm unfamiliar with how common university procrastination is, but if you've faced this problem before, how did you overcome it?

Three main reasons for procrastinating in my experience as student and coach/tutor/manager:

1. Overstress. Taking a break rallies the reserves and makes work easier.

2. Demotivation. Doing some 'fun' reading around the area or talking to the more charismatic professors may help warm teh embers

3. Self-handicapping. If success becomes too important to your identity [the reverse of demotivation] then you may seek to avoid doing work as an excuse for failing, rather than conclude you aren't any good or aren't clever enough.

I can't recall ever having to tackle simple laziness as a cause.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What Walsh said.

I find the "tricking your brain by confidence redirection" works best for me...it's like taking a break but do NOT watch TV/play a game as the "break"...I find yardwork or housework does the trick...physical movement+sense of satisfaction at completing the annoying chore+dislike of wanting to do more chore=more motivation to do the original task I was avoiding.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Currently watching my GPU temp and playing w/the GPU fan. Yes it's thrilling. I guess if I want lower than 42C I either run the fan at plane-level noise speed or get liquid cooling.

After a busy day yesterday, I've been enjoying a very nothing day today. In about 20 minutes I'm going out to check video games and buy a small table to supplement my giant desk.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Got bored and didn't want to study for marketing exam so I opened up CoD4 which I haven't played in like a gazillion years. Wasn't as good as I remember it being but I think that's just becuase there was a time when I played a sickening amount of cod and halo 3 non stop and I can never play another FPS again. Also there was only like 5 games going and only 2 of which I could join. I'm still bored and don't know what to do. :'(

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Helsinki Book Expo tomorrow, wohoo!

Now on to get some shut-eye. Gonna meet the missus tomorrow.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

A friend of mine that I met in a forums just went to the hospital... she's in NY, I'm in Cali...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Ok, she's better.

I'm sure some of the folks on here think I'm neurotic for fretting like this over online friends but *shrugs* it's part of who I am.

School today is interesting. I'm the only guy in my philosophy class that doesn't think god exists (which leads to many... battles). Today we worked on the concept of evil, and how it kinda undermines the argument that god does exist. Anyway, the general consensus from the class is that god gave us free will and thus we are free to be good or evil as we deem fit. My problem is that because god can see all of time at once, we don't actually have free will, just it's illusion because the being called god already knows what's going to happen and thus I don't actually make the choice, I just go through the motions.

I was a little bugged by the "proof of god" that they gave (the ontological argument I think it's called)

God is the greatest thing of all

Things are better in the real world

If you conceive god in your head, and because of the first rule, he exists in the world because if he is only in your head he's not the greatest thing of all

Of course, that led me to start an argument over did god create us or did we create god.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

3. Self-handicapping. If success becomes too important to your identity [the reverse of demotivation] then you may seek to avoid doing work as an excuse for failing, rather than conclude you aren't any good or aren't clever enough.

That's the story of my academic career right there. Probably my professional career, too.

A couple nights ago I fixed the garage door on my rental unit. A wheel had come off the track, and the bolt that attached it was warped. I found a new one at a hardware store and manage to get it back in place. I felt pretty manly, and the $3.50 for a new bolt and wheel was much better than whatever a repair guy would have charged me. :lol:

That's the story of my academic career right there. Probably my professional career, too.

There's a book on it in the Bodleian library in Oxford but I've forgotten the title. I could show you where it is though. :lol:

One of the most useful reads ever for me. It really makes very good sense. I mean if your whole identity is built on being a genius and your success is a direct measure of that genius, then you better damn well succeed. It's the curse of the annoying over-achiever. :)

-Elwood Blues

I think I'm a self sabotager as well, lot of that going around apparently.

Poll poll poll

-Elwood Blues

I just got home. Dogs are happy. I'm going to pour myself a drink (Knob Creek and Canada Dry), followed by another, and another, and sabotage myself right out of sobriety.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell