Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

I think people just want to play a good RPG. The definition of good is where everything falls apart.

Some are satisfied with just another Bioware "seven samurai save the world (with romaces!)" game.

I want to see something better, because playing the same game for the fifth time has gotten old. Plus if it promises to be a BG spiritual sequel it has to be better.

I'll agree that everyone's definition of good is different. The Seven Samurai is one of the greatest films ever made. The Seven Samurai (with romance!) is something any game, book, or movie could proudly aspire to. On the other hand, I don't understand why you're satisfied with BG. Every game BioWare has made since then has been better than BG.

Seven Samurai is a great movie, but what I meant was worn out premise of gathering a bunch of unlikely characters in a group and having them save the world etc etc. This doesnt mean that a party should be lacking, merely that it should have some goal other than saving the world. I think what ruined the whole idea for me was that party members in latter games were practically unnecessary in combat (read: useless), and I always felt I was dragging them along for story purposes.

When I say BGm I either mean BG II or the series as a whole. The first game was good but it has obviously been far improved in the sequel. If that's what you mean I (almost) agree with you. However none of the games Bioware made after BG II have been better than it, and nothing can even compete with the series as a whole.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Guest Slinky
Every game BioWare has made since then has been better than BG.

Dammit Maria, did you have to say that?

Should we call an ambulance for Boo? He might be having a stroke right now :ermm:

Edit

Whoops too late.

Edited by Slinky

Another video, this one shows the scenario in the tentonhammer article with the ashes.

Seven Samurai is a great movie, but what I meant was worn out premise of gathering a bunch of unlikely characters in a group and having them save the world etc etc. This doesnt mean that a party should be lacking, merely that it should have some goal other than saving the world. I think what ruined the whole idea for me was that party members in latter games were practically unnecessary in combat (read: useless), and I always felt I was dragging them along for story purposes.

At this point, hoping that BioWare will change it narrative structure is like hoping that Bethesda will change its open-world settings or Obsidian will change the mood they tend to evoke.

If you play a BioWare game you will 1) gather a bunch of people, 2) follow an urgent main quest that isn

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The shallow interaction with followers was a flaw in ME. That it was a story about Shepard saving the universe instead of, for example, uncovering corruption in C-Sec and a plot to kill the Salarian council member, was not a flaw.
Probably would've made the game a lot more interesting though. Though in Bioware's rendition, Saren would still be breeding an army of Krogan just to take out one council member.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I would just like to point out that I don't have any expectations for DA, other than it actually running and being relatively bug-free. Every comment I make is just off the cuff general remark about that specific thing. I won't have a formulated opinion until I have actually played it.

Edited by Purkake

At this point, hoping that BioWare will change it narrative structure is like hoping that Bethesda will change its open-world settings or Obsidian will change the mood they tend to evoke.

If you play a BioWare game you will 1) gather a bunch of people, 2) follow an urgent main quest that isn

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Another video, this one shows the scenario in the tentonhammer article with the ashes.

Imoen sounds much better in this clip. Dunno why they just didnt get the old voice actor when they are making such an obvious nod to BG.

logosig2.jpg

I would just like to point out that I don't have any expectations for DA, other than it actually running and being relatively bug-free. Every comment I make is just off the cuff general remark about that specific thing. I won't have a formulated opinion until I have actually played it.

I'm sorry if it seems I'm coming down on you, or that I think you to be the unholy love child of Satan and Hitler who pees glowing green radioactive waste. That's not the case.

It's glowing blue.

Imoen sounds much better in this clip. Dunno why they just didnt get the old voice actor when they are making such an obvious nod to BG.

Leliana, also known as Tinkerbell, is a Ferelden raised in the Orlaisian court. She's on the run because she sold government secrets to Orlais enemies. She is sweet, nice, and enjoys giving people makeovers. If you want her to constantly argue with someone, place her in a group with Sten.

I prefer this voice actor, but I understand some people dislike her.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

After 20+ years, RPGs finally reached a level in character animation that isn't complete crap? Hurray! \o/

Guest Slinky

Did anyone else notice how the PC killed Imoen in the video? Not exactly practical but looked really cool to me. Animations like that makes things more lively.

Did anyone else notice how the PC killed Imoen in the video? Not exactly practical but looked really cool to me. Animations like that makes things more lively.

Mhm the sword under the arm thing. It does look better than the usual "whack em till they die" animations.

logosig2.jpg

Wow... they both look almost alike. o.O Bioware... recycling NPC's since.... oh nevermind.

One wonders... is she your sister? dun dun dun...

I think its a not a case of recycling but a deliberate nod to Baldurs Gate fans. I was very happy to see Leliana Imoen.

logosig2.jpg

Does all that drama happen late in the game? It was funny how those followers suddenly went berserk just because they disagreed with the PC's actions.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It was funny how those followers suddenly went berserk just because they disagreed with the PC's actions.

I believe the strong opposition from the party members stem from the urn being a highly sacred object (likened to the Holy Grail) and the PC destroys it. Meaning, they dont go ape over every little thing but one huge one and watch out. Also, the dragon ignored the mage again. ;)

Does all that drama happen late in the game? It was funny how those followers suddenly went berserk just because they disagreed with the PC's actions.

It happens about 10-15 hours in.

They're devoted followers of the Chantry. The PC just desecrated the urn with Andraste's ashes. For a real world example, say you were with two devoted Muslims, found the body of Mohammad, and you decided to take a wizz on it. How would they react?