Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

Wait! Someone is urinating green radioactive waste?

Anyhow, I don't understand arguing in a thread dedicated to a game you simply have no intention of buying, but folks do it all the time. *points to the comments folks made about Fallout 3*

I think most of the complainers ended up buying FO3.

Edit: And it was a Fallout game by Bethesda. Come on. I admit to mild horror upon hearing the anouncement.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Oh, I have to admit I it was unsettling. Then I just figured it wouldn't be a real Fallout game. Still, there are folks who complained without buying the game and there were folks who bought the game already hating it in order to be able to say they bought the game when they complained about it. I mean, HK and... sorry other dude who's name I can't remember were right a few pages back bringing up Fallout 3 and the groin shot thing.

The point is, complaining does show some amount of care about the topic, but it doesn't really tell anyone the nature of that care or concern. You might care enough about the game to want to discuss it. You might just have a hardon for the developer. If you hate Bioware, you care enough to participate in threads about the company, but not because you want to support their games. People are strange. Except for me, of course.

I'm a bit worried about that urn thing: it has been lost for decades/centuries/a long time. And when it's needed some "random" noblewoman tells you to find it, and you just do? Yeah ok, someone has been researching it's possible location all his life etc etc, but don't tell me all those years no one else ever put that effort into finding the Holy Grail of the Chantry. Or is the urn kept in that temple just for fun and giggles?

I'm a bit worried about that urn thing: it has been lost for decades/centuries/a long time. And when it's needed some "random" noblewoman tells you to find it, and you just do? Yeah ok, someone has been researching it's possible location all his life etc etc, but don't tell me all those years no one else ever put that effort into finding the Holy Grail of the Chantry. Or is the urn kept in that temple just for fun and giggles?

The cultists in the surrounding village kill outsiders who stay too long or show too much interest in historical relics. I'm sure that helps cut down wandering scholars.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The cultists in the surrounding village kill outsiders who stay too long or show too much interest in historical relics. I'm sure that helps cut down wandering scholars.
But it's the greatest artifact of their church! Anyone with some common sense would send a small army to retrieve it, no?

Especially if several scholars go missing in that area.

Are all the human party members part of some religion? Keeping them all happy is going to be a pain.
Morrigan believes in power. The dog believes in you. Edited by Oner

Are all the human party members part of some religion? Keeping them all happy is going to be a pain.

Why? Do you plan on continously destroying religious relics?

I assume that all the human party members, except Morrigan, will believe in the Chant of Light.

It would be cool if you could get enough influence over them that they'll choose you over their religion instead of dying for it.

High influence + high persuasion and you can convince them that you did the right thing.

Edited by Maria Caliban

It would be cool if you could get enough influence over them that they'll choose you over their religion instead of dying for it.
According to one of the earlier articles you can persuade them to see things your way if your influence is high enough.

Good idea Maria, a playthrough where I fanatically destroy everything that has "temple", "artifact" or "long lost" in it's name. xD

Edited by Oner

Guest Slinky

You can, it was said on some interview.

Edit:

Damn Oner ninjad me.

Edited by Slinky

Why? Do you plan on continously destroying religious relics?

I assume that all the human party members, except Morrigan, will believe in the Chant of Light.

High influence + high persuasion and you can convince them that you did the right thing.

That's good to hear. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff that will make them lose influence.

Why ARE you destroying the religion's relics anyway? It's just an urn with dust in it, not some super magic fairy dust, right?

Edited by Purkake

See, thats a flaw imo. Certain things shouldnt be persuadable, like someones life long religon.

"OMG, you just desecrated our most holy relic!!!uno11!"

"Yeah, but I had to to heal the old dude.

"Oh, okay". :ermm:

Maybe as they see more of the world, they'll realize the their religion isn't the best or the most correct one. People can change their views over time, you know.

Naw, the way I see it, Gfted, it's that you get enough influence that you cause them to doubt or even forsake their religion. happens all the time in real life. I mean, the scenario in your example would be pretty silly, but maybe you convinced him either that his religion is wrong (hopefully over the course of several hours of play) or that his religion values individual life more than the relic.

Think of Dakkon. You could deepen his doubt in his faith or reaffirm in. The interactions regarding his faith count as one of the reasons PS:T is my favorite game.

See, thats a flaw imo. Certain things shouldnt be persuadable, like someones life long religon.

"OMG, you just desecrated our most holy relic!!!uno11!"

"Yeah, but I had to to heal the old dude.

"Oh, okay". :ermm:

No, it's like this:

"OMG you desecrated our most holy relic!!!uno11!"

"Yeah, coz I'm too lazy to carry it to our fortress for safekeeping. We need to destroy it so the Blight doesn't get it. And if they don't use it, then why should our army?"

"Oh, okay".

Okay okay. You don't persuade them that their religion is wrong, instead you convince them that the urn has to be destroyed so the Blight doesn't get it.

As I remarked above, makes no sense to me either. But maybe there will be a good reason why you can't just take that damn thing with you. Oh wait, the Blight can. And use it too, like it's not a hostile god's holiest artifact.

Edited by Oner

My new goal in the game: turn all my companions away from their religion by destroying relics etc.

And you must be pretty crazy to actually attempt to kill your buddy for destroying some silly relic. Shesh, it's just some dust.

Edited by Purkake

Maybe as they see more of the world, they'll realize the their religion isn't the best or the most correct one. People can change their views over time, you know.

Yeah maybe, and Im not striving for reality here, but religon is a very personal subject for most people. If you can take a giant dump on your party members most holy of holies and then tap dance your way out of it, what could you possibly do to piss them off to the point of leaving/attacking?

I just want to see some deal breakers in there too and if you can get away with that, I dont know what you could do to really drive them away.

Guest Slinky
It's just an urn with dust in it, not some super magic fairy dust, right?

Actually it is the SuperUrn of Megadust. That dust can heal any wound and effectively makes you immortal.

Even I don't really like that. You know, DA was originally planned as low magic world. I liked that idea, but it clearly fly out of the window.

That's good to hear. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff that will make them lose influence.

Why ARE you destroying the religion's relics anyway? It's just an urn with dust in it, not some super magic fairy dust, right?

According to the article, it's because 'the Blight might get it.' According to David, that's not the real reason, but they wanted people to focus on the consequences of pissing off the teammates without having to explain the situation.

My new goal in the game: turn all my companions away from their religion by destroying relics etc.
What are you gonna do about the dog?

And you must be pretty crazy to actually attempt to kill your buddy for destroying some silly relic. Shesh, it's just some dust.
Sheesh, it's just the holiest ****ing relic of the god that takes care of your ****ty immortal soul after you get eviscerated by your party leader. And remember, high fantasy, medieval mindset. Edited by Oner

Yeah maybe, and Im not striving for reality here, but religon is a very personal subject for most people. If you can take a giant dump on your party members most holy of holies and then tap dance your way out of it, what could you possibly do to piss them off to the point of leaving/attacking?

I just want to see some deal breakers in there too and if you can get away with that, I dont know what you could do to really drive them away.

Maybe burn down their village?

Kinda like that impossible persuasion check in MotB with One of Many and Myrkul.

What are you gonna do about the dog?

Sheesh, it's just the holiest ****ing relic of the god that takes care of your ****ty immortal soul after you get eviscerated by your party leader. And remember, high fantasy, medieval mindset.

The dog is a dog, hopefully he doesn't have any sacred relics.

I get the point, I'm just not seeing it happen, unless they are a priest or something.

Edited by Purkake