What are you playing now

Gorth

Im playing Empire: Total War and what do you know.. the British landed an expeditionary force in prussia! Which means they've finally made the AI capable of attacking across water.

So it's playable now? I really need to know so I can finally suck some value of that one. :)

Im playing Empire: Total War and what do you know.. the British landed an expeditionary force in prussia! Which means they've finally made the AI capable of attacking across water.

So it's playable now? I really need to know so I can finally suck some value of that one. :)

What do you mean playable? ETW was more stable out of the box than 90% of games released. The only problem I ever had was a sound bug caused by a hotfix months ago that was fixed within 24h. If you mean gameplaywise, then its the usual TW stuff.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What do you mean playable? ETW was more stable out of the box than 90% of games released. The only problem I ever had was a sound bug caused by a hotfix months ago that was fixed within 24h. If you mean gameplaywise, then its the usual TW stuff.

You can't be serious. ETW had so many bugs related to crashes, deleted savegames and horrible AI at release that it wasn't even funny.

Just because you didn't have any serious problems doesn't mean that the game was anywhere near stable for most people. Just look at the Steam or the official forums.

Edited by Purkake

Got tired of replaying Fallout 2 so I started to play Baldur's gate II, for some reason I didn't really far in this before losing interest. I regret that decision oh so long ago immensely because I'm having a lot of fun with it.

You can't be serious. ETW had so many bugs related to crashes, deleted savegames and horrible AI at release that it wasn't even funny.

Just because you didn't have any serious problems doesn't mean that the game was anywhere near stable for most people. Just look at the Steam or the official forums.

I believe ETW was victim of loudmouth complainer syndrome, a handful of people with problems kicking up such a fuss that it seemed a lot bigger than it was. I dont know anyone who has had any major problems with ETW.

With a truly broken game, like Damnation, you know its real because people complaints will come from more than one source.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I believe ETW was victim of loudmouth complainer syndrome, a handful of people with problems kicking up such a fuss that it seemed a lot bigger than it was. I dont know anyone who has had any major problems with ETW.

With a truly broken game, like Damnation, you know its real because people complaints will come from more than one source.

There were a bunch of people on gaming podcasts having trouble with it as well. I think TW pretty much peaked at Rome anyway. The increased complexity just doesn't do anything for me and firearms are boring.

@Morgoth: Apparently it uses up to two cores, unless they changed it in a patch.

Creative Assembly really needs to take a nice long break and make some decent AI. The more complex it gets, the higher the chance that the enemy will just stand there like a bunch of idiots.

Well, I agree that ETW wasn't broken from the point of view of stability and game breaking bugs. However, the no land invasions AI retardedness made the campaign essentially pointless, which, for me, meant that the game turned into a coaster, and not a very good one, at that. And also, it annoys me a great deal they needed months to release a patch to fix a bug that had already been fixed in previous iterations of the series. It's really gross incompetence.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Ditto to Pidesco. The loudmouth syndrome may apply to technical bugs (hard to say from my pov), but the gameplay failures were apparent and true from the very beginning.

Heh, it's a Paradox game. I already have my hands full with HOI3 and Victoria. And I can only take so much sleep deprivation.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

HoI3's already in the mail, but I think we'll pass on actually playing it until after a few patches.

Speaking of sleep deprivation, it's been a few nights in a row where idiot has been going to bed at dawn because of EU3.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Uh, yeah. Make that HOI2, though. I can't even count anymore, it seems. Barbarossa will be a total victory, for sure.

I'm holding HOI3 off until alanschu reports in all the bugs and they get around to fixing them. I'd really hate to, well, hate this game.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Heh, we stopped playing HoI2, awesome after it was, after 1) alanschu backstabbed us as Spain, that flaming piece of crap, and 2) stupid awful netcode that got us out of sync all the time. Just glad to see it hasn't been an issue with EU3.

We also have EU:Rome still waiting to be played!

Hadescopy.jpg

Europa Universalis III is seriously addictive, and actually works in co-op. Good fun as the Italian/Austrian/Swiss alliance works towards crushing stupid France.

Somehow, it always ends up being a game of surviving against France (aka BBB of Death) >_

Addictive indeed. I've got mixed feelings about the expansions. Most of the stuff they add is good, but micromanaging sea patrols to fend off pirates is about as fun as micromanaging merchants in the unexpanded game. I.e. not very. Overall great fun and a time sink.

Edit: I've tried conquering most of the world as Russia (started out as Muscowy) and The Byzantine Empire. Maybe I shuld try going for German or Italian unification some day.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Italy was fairly easy to unite as Milan, but we're still working towards the final steps of German unification under a Swiss iron fist.

Maybe it's because we've been annexing nations left and right and we're hated throughout the world, but the game's been picking up as we've been engaged in one war after another against various different alliances. France, England, Hungary, Poland, Lithuania, Golden Horde, Ottoman - they all want us dead for some reason. We've been managing okay against most - it's mainly been France singlehandedly keeping us on our toes and fighting for our very survival (most of our wars with them has ended up with most of Switzerland under French occupation, though we eventually end up pushing them back and getting relatively neutral peace terms. The problem is when other opportunistic alliances declare war on us between our conflicts with France, giving us little time to recuperate. For the first time during our last war, though, we've been able to beat France back (though both sides have been bleeding quite heavily in resources and manpower) and even gotten favorable terms. We were planning on expanding North and East at some point, or maybe go explore the New World, but all that has been put indefinitely on hold until we realize our current main object: the full annexation of France. Those crappers have been making us sweat for too long; now they pay.

Hadescopy.jpg

You've probably picked up quite a BB (Bad Boy) rating. If it exceeds your threshold, everybody hates you and declares war on you continously. You have effectively become a pariah by then, that everybody, even tiny nations feels obliged to wipe off the map :p

Edit: I managed to beat France as Byzans, but it took a superhuman effort. I had numerical superiority, but the different tech levels makes quite a difference (I was "Eastern", France was "Latin").

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I need to get Europa Universalis III. I never did get the game. Is it the colonies one? I remember Europa Universalis II with great fondness. Staying alive and flourishing as the Byzantine Empire was quite festive!

And it 2, if not 3, you reach critical mass and then just outlast wars. I mean, if you're crazy micromanaging a game, you can get to be so big that you can't be beat. Enemy armies will literally wipe obliterate themselves on your map. Much harder if you play with limited save, tho. Still, it can be done. It's just a matter of getting past the historical crap that the game throws at you and then settling on a good system.

With a smaller empire, you're better off with reform protestants. With a huge empire, you just want increased production, since you really don't care about other folks anyhow. If they trade, good. If they don't... *shrug* drop the in bucket if you own western Europe.

Edited by Aristes

Still playing Divinity 2: Ego Draconis... I forgot to mind-read a boss and so missed a piece of some ub3r armor. :p

It seems this game is not as long as I had previously expected, but still it's the best game I've played in a long time. Thank you, Larian Studios.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

With a smaller empire, you're better off with reform protestants. With a huge empire, you just want increased production, since you really don't care about other folks anyhow. If they trade, good. If they don't... *shrug* drop the in bucket if you own western Europe.

They made it harder to maintain a large empire in EU III, as the cost of surviving means you have to tax your peasanst hard, leading to constant unrest and rebeillion (and secessions, new independent states etc.). Having a large standing army to hang the peasants leads to more cost, more unrest etc. :p

Still playing Gothic II. Got over the initial weakness of the PC, and am happily stabbing everything in Khorinis. Except when I ran into a Troll near a Aztec/Mayan pyramid and got slaughtered.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life