Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

I guess that it's just personal preference. For my money, it doesn't get much better than Bull Durham, The Postman, Field of Dreams, and Dances with Wolves.

3 of the stupidest movies i've ever seen. i liked bull durham in spite of costner's horrible acting.

I just don't think Michael Madsen is anywhere near the same league as Costner.

you're right, it's hard to be that bad, be the lead actor in so many flops, and still be considered a star. madsen has his work cut out for him if he wants to live up to that legacy. ;)

taks

comrade taks... just because.

i watched some stupid movie called the forbidden warrior or something the other night. it had potential, in spite of being stupid, but then it just sort of... ended. like "what? isn't she supposed to face of with the guy that ordered her capture?" the whole story was about this "warrior" that was some how prophesied to do something, and this evil king that needed to capture her. they even had this cool book that only the warrior could read with his magic (turned out to be a chick, but they didn't know that at the time)... that whole part of the story just got dropped when she killed off the baddies that were hunting her. i hate unfinished stupid movies. must've been a uwe bolll joint or something.

taks

I'm going to humbly disagree and say he's actually a pretty good character actor.

i used to think so, though thinking back, he's always been a little stiff. some people think costner is a good character actor, too. he's only got one character that i've ever seen.

It's a Uwe Boll film. Everybody is horrible in Uwe Boll films. Even Jurgen Prochnow.

i just don't buy that as an excuse. even a good actor should be able to come across better than madsen did in that flick. the chick (kristanna) wasn't as bad as he was and she's not a very good actress to begin with. of course, i may have been overlooking her stinktitude due to my desire to get into her pants... ;)

The big question is how Uwe Boll gets these actors to begin with.

well, this is true. i haven't the foggiest idea how someone could be lured into that trap. oerwinde is right on, the man must be a genius. either that or he's a blackmailer.

taks

I haven't seen Madsen in enough films to defend him across the entirety of his career, but when I have seen him he's been fine.

Again, it's an Uwe Boll movie. You can't judge an actor by their performance in a Uwe Boll film. That's insane.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

You can be the best actor in the world, if the director can't see the difference between pikachu and Sean Connery, he'll tell you to act differently even if your current performance would net you an Oscar. IMHO anyway.

like i said, the chick was better, and she's not really that good to begin with. i'm not a uwe boll expert, however, and i don't argue that he doesn't make actors look bad. i just thought "i've never seen anyone act this poorly except in pr0n." :)

taks

Are you gonna bark all day little doggie, or are you gonna bite?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Reservoir Dogs is so awesome.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

like i said, the chick was better, and she's not really that good to begin with. i'm not a uwe boll expert, however, and i don't argue that he doesn't make actors look bad. i just thought "i've never seen anyone act this poorly except in pr0n." :)

taks

lol. I actually like Bloodrayne. In a way.

All the acting is horrible from Ben Kingley right on through to Michelle Rodriguez. So I am certainly not saying that Madesen acts well in the movie. Lol. He's terrible.

Personally, I think he just wanted otu as fast as possible and mailed it in. Maybe Kirstianna Loken was actually trying. WHich might make her appear better.

You shoudl watch House of the Dead. And try to figure out how JUrgen Prochnow ended up in that. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Does it have something to do with being German? I bet that has something to do with it

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Does it have something to do with being German? I bet that has something to do with it

Possinly. I know Uwe got funding for a lot of his movies through government arts programs or something.

You shoudl watch House of the Dead. And try to figure out how JUrgen Prochnow ended up in that. :o

NO! i started to watch that dungeon siege one and almost puked. i've had enough uwe for a lifetime. madsen was in something else i watched tonight... oh yeah, kill bill vol. 2. one of the dumbest but coolest movies ever. :) madsen wasn't very good in that but there was intentional camp going on with all the performances.

watched another artsy flick tonight. literally, a movie about art, sort of. we have the MGMHD channel for a while (some promo i guess) and art school confidential was on. very strange movie with john malkovitch in it. he was a pretentious, albeit very strange, art professor at an art school. the movie was about this student that was trying to find his "style" and be a great artist while trying to get the girl played by sophia myles (quite beautiful naked.) there were some murders going on in the background that got tied into the student's story at the end. the movie was simply strange, very cynical. the acting was great, however, though the script did not often make much sense. worth a watch at least.

taks

Edited by taks

watched another artsy flick tonight. literally, a movie about art, sort of. we have the MGMHD channel for a while (some promo i guess) and art school confidential was on. very strange movie with john malkovitch in it. he was a pretentious, albeit very strange, art professor at an art school. the movie was about this student that was trying to find his "style" and be a great artist while trying to get the girl played by sophia myles (quite beautiful naked.) there were some murders going on in the background that got tied into the student's story at the end. the movie was simply strange, very cynical. the acting was great, however, though the script did not often make much sense. worth a watch at least.

taks

I saw it in India actually, and I thought it was pretty good.. it's kinda like the more intelligent version of American Pie, but at the same time the story is much worse. Which is why it's hard to figure out what to think about it. I recommend it though..

But if you want something similar, but much much better you should see Cashback..

.. Seriously, see it!

Fortune favors the bald.

Watched the first 4 hours of Lonesome Dove (1989) excellent so far. Robert Duvall as Augustus 'Gus' McCrae is just awesome, might be the best I have seen him act. The rest of the cast is also in top form. Highly Recommended.

Off to the movies today, not sure if I'll see District 9 or G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

worth a watch at least.

taks

Thought it was garbage myself, to each their own

Edited by Kelverin

Possibly. I know Uwe got funding for a lot of his movies through government arts programs or something.

Tax loophole to be accurate.

District 9!

I hate you bastards because you can watch it now, and we have to wait, caps in hand like medieval peasants to get it after you are done.

What IS the rationale behind staged releases, any more? Surely the costs of piracy alone make the approach pointless?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

District 9!

I hate you bastards because you can watch it now, and we have to wait, caps in hand like medieval peasants to get it after you are done.

What IS the rationale behind staged releases, any more? Surely the costs of piracy alone make the approach pointless?

Don't get too hyped, it's not THAT great. Still pretty fun, though.

District 9!

Well least you get Bond first.

it's not THAT great. Still pretty fun, though.

I liked it. Fun movie, kept me guessing which way it would go. :lol:

I would literally murder Lord of the Flies to get to see District 9 in the next week.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

District 9: A solid B, maybe a B+.

I liked it quite a bit, although not quite as great as all the hype. Had some very intense scenes that may stick with you a while, interesting main character (in terms of his back and forth like/dislike he makes one feel) and a crowd-pleasing action ending.The allegory is almost too heavy-handed to be truly effective, but that's sci-fi for you, so roll with it.

There are tons of subtitles, in case that sort of thing annoys you...and while the 'shaky' & super-fast cut camera work isn't all that bad compared to some, it's definitely there. My husband didn't like the movie overall to begin with, but he particularly dislikes 'shaky camera' trends and ranted on about it for quite a while. :ermm:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I would literally murder Lord of the Flies to get to see District 9 in the next week.
Oh, good to see I'm still welcome in these forums.

Anyway, went to see District 9. It was fantastic. The aliens looked great and emoted really well. The plot was interesting, kept you guessing, and the protagonist was a complicated, interesting character. They really did a good job of making a "white male in power" character, with his motivations and perspective well-created. The action scenes were ****ing A. I also liked how there was all of one empathetic human character in the movie, and he only really became empathetic later on, when

he became victimized and also an alien.

The aliens, on the other hand, are almost universally empathetic characters, although probably because of their victimhood.

Gran Torino

Sucked, badly. Completely absurd that people thought this was actually good. There's better acting in a 4th grade musical.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

We watched Seven Pounds today with Will Smith. His career is uneven, but he is an excellent actor. The Seven Pounds reviews I'd read were overall quite tepid on the title, but I thought it was a great film. I will buy it. Certainly much better than Last Chance Harvy, which didn't deserve the chance I gave it.

I thought Knowing had some eye-rolling moments, but I was actually impressed with both Cage's performance and the idea that

the earth didn't end because of some divine or demonic cause but just because the sun threw out a super flare.

The alienesque angels were a bit off-putting to me, as was the very last scene. I think the movie really should have gone more into the central idea of knowing, but it didn't. For a lot of reasons, I think the movie missed the boat for both the agnostic and the relgious crowds. Too bad.

Can you make me a plot summary? Cause it looks interesting but cannot go see. And include spoilers, please, in spoiler tags.