FO: NV

I'm going to rant about magnums anyway. Personal taste, though.

A fun magnum is, for example, the one in Resident Evil 5. Its barrely is long, shiny black and every time you fire, the kickback is ridiculous. I don't even think you can fire more than one shot for every second. It even pierces through zombies. Of course, it also kills anything in nearly one shot, but that's not actually necessary. The fun is in how powerful the gun feels, real magnums don't have that firepower. The ammo is pretty rare too, so that helps make the gun feel rare and powerful, like finding ammo for a rocket launcher and it really does look like an exotic weapon. Don't have much to say, I think the

Now a more or less boring magnum would be Fallout 3's. Basically, it just feels like a more powerful pistol with its own ammo type and only six shots. There's a scope on it (which just plain feels weird), so maybe its also trying to be a smaller sniper. But mostly when you fire it, there's something missing. Maybe its the lame yellow laser bullet trail that leaves the gun, maybe its the short kickback, maybe its the sound that doesn't really feel all that loud, maybe its how light the gun feels... but the thing is just a better pistol.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The Scoped .44 Magnum in Fallout 3 is based on Lord Humungus' gun from Road Warrior. This should be required viewing for any Fallout player.

http://www.splotchy.com/images/blog/humungus.jpg

And Chris Redfield must be the most limp-wristed dude in Christendom if, despite arm muscles the size of my torso, every "Magnum" shot has enough recoil to practically smack him in the face. But yes, the recoil in Fallout 3 is very subtle for all pistols.

The Scoped .44 Magnum in Fallout 3 is based on Lord Humungus' gun from Road Warrior. This should be required viewing for any Fallout player.

http://www.splotchy.com/images/blog/humungus.jpg

And Chris Redfield must be the most limp-wristed dude in Christendom if, despite arm muscles the size of my torso, every "Magnum" shot has enough recoil to practically smack him in the face. But yes, the recoil in Fallout 3 is very subtle for all pistols.

This is an example of how to fail at making references. Guns were prized possessions in Mad Max and Humungus' gun was one of a kind. In Fo3, instead of being a unique, powerful weapon, it's scattered all over the place, thus losing sense.

How would it work, if each gun would be given an individual recoil stat, that would throw the aiming off with each shot, and how off would be depending on characters strength and skill with each weapon?

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Certain weapons wouldn't have all that much of a recoil by default, like the 10mm pistol. That would work really well with magnums or machine guns though, especially the SMG.

Speaking of which, NO ONE uses the .32 and Chinese Pistol.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Certain weapons wouldn't have all that much of a recoil by default, like the 10mm pistol. That would work really well with magnums or machine guns though, especially the SMG.

Yeah I never understood why those were even in the game. I just sold them immediately.

It would be nice if guns you found throughout were MUCH more rare than they are in vanilla FO3. That was quite wacky.

Edited by Jaesun

the 10mm pistol was useless as well. You were better off just hitting things with a baseball bat until you got a hunting rifle, assault rifle or smg.

If you played in rt that is. Maybe the 10mm was OK in VATS mode. Never used VATS so I don't know.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I do use the unique .32 from the Pitt called "Wild Bill's sidearm" to kill petty enemies like radroaches, dogs, mole rats or raiders. It's a fun weapon.

Besides, there are two bugged perks introduced in Point Lookout that permanently increase all weapon damage by 5 points, so suddenly even Chinese pistols become decent.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Certain weapons wouldn't have all that much of a recoil by default, like the 10mm pistol.
@___@ 10mm pistols have a lot of recoil, though the F3 one is enormous so maybe that could reasonably offset it.

Recoil, from an animation perspective, is just an animation with no ties to where the projectile actually goes. Spread is a stat on the weapon (modified by the appropriate weapon skill), and applies whether you're firing your first shot or your fiftieth. Currently, F3 does not have (that I know of) any sense of progressive spread from recoil.

Recoil, from an animation perspective, is just an animation with no ties to where the projectile actually goes. Spread is a stat on the weapon (modified by the appropriate weapon skill), and applies whether you're firing your first shot or your fiftieth. Currently, F3 does not have (that I know of) any sense of progressive spread from recoil.

Not necesserely just animation if it can be implemented with effects like

:thumbsup:

But I think (just think, 'cause I don't know how these things work exactly) that would also require strenght requirements to weapons.

But the progressive spread from recoil is basicly what I was getting at.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Not necesserely just animation if it can be implemented with effects like

:thumbsup:

And the commentators are retarded, as usual.

Pretty sure she was just holding the gun wrong.

I think recoil might be acounted for with base accuracy on individual weapons and animation length in between shots alongside progressive spread.

For example, having the aim **** around Quake 2 machine gun style is less character skill and more player skill.

Buuuuut I would love to see soft strength requirements in NV.

I just read an interesting thread on another forum I frequent about a long list of weapons that are overused in movies/games/anime/etc, unsurprisingly that a lot of the weapons listed were in the Fallout games. It's a long read but it's very interesting.

Link

I just read an interesting thread on another forum I frequent about a long list of weapons that are overused in movies/games/anime/etc, unsurprisingly that a lot of the weapons listed were in the Fallout games. It's a long read but it's very interesting.

Link

The guy may have did his homework regarding the weapons, but how and why they were used..sheesh is he an idiot. I mean, c'mon

Much like the Barrett .50 the only reason you see so many characters in the more recent comics (and to some degree games and movies as well) use the .454 casull is because the writer wanted to give the main badass an oversized ego and an overpowered handgun to compliment it. Now it would be one thing if they stuck with a .357 revolver, they are after all not a rarity, nor too impractical. But writers want their character to be SUPER BADASS so they open up google and search "World's most powerful handgun", and tada, the .454 becomes a cliche overnight. For instance Hellsing did this,

Nevermind that Alucard is a vampire "with the strength of 50 men", or however the legend goes, and he's using it on, dunno..other vampires? The impossible-to- kill-with-low-caliber kind?

And the katana? Yeah, the protagonists cut bullets with it. The

the katana is a very nice sword for cutting up lightly armoured and unarmoured foes. geometry makes it an inferior thrust weapon and it is deficient as a parry weapon. the folding stuff is mostly symbolic, but originally got started 'cause japanese ores were inferior. katanas were surprisingly fragile, and if you ever get a chance to see katanas that were ever used in combat, you sees that they looks a bit like a dog's chew toy... is hardly the indestructible weapon that they is portrayed to be. the katana is not gonna cut an opponent's weapon in half and is not gonna cut through any serious armour neither. is surely not gonna cut roof off of a car, or cut through steel doors n' such.

have seen some interesting theories 'bout how the katana myths got started, but have never seen any explanation that seemed to fully make sense o' the vast gulf 'tween katana myth and katana reality. is a good design for combatants facing typical japanese unarmoured and lightly armoured opponents... which is not a criticism.

as for some o' the other weapons...

*shrug*

dunno. Gromnir is extreme unimpressed with big handguns... too easy to make a freudian argument. even so, fo is not 'bout reality or realism... is bout kewl.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Looks like the over the top sort of crap Aram would write.

Ha, my first thought was that even Aram wouldn't be that anal. I mean the guy complains about plasma guns. I agree with everything else you posted.

People who complain incessently about the accuracy of firearms mechanics in computer games usually strike me as tools who mostly want to posture and flaunt their mad gun skilz.

That's certainly the impression I get from that thread. It's a list of most weapons that feature in games and some bitching about them. When you're complaining about alien weaponry you're not correcting mistakes you're making **** up.

What I mean to say is that I'm a big pretentious poser who makes literary references in his posts to try to make himself look like he's read a book or two, which is exactly the truth. I've read a book or two. Keeping an eye on the 'physics' is a good idea. I read some post on another forum and then make cracks about people on ours? Good Lord, what a ****. ...But, enough drama. Someone will flame me soon to right the universe.

I've got no problem with people complaining about either stuff they care a lot about or about stuff that they know a lot about.

Specifically, if people know a lot about something and find gross inaccuracies or logic failures in the way that particular something is done in a game, by all means they should complain. I may not agree but I usually learn something.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Something else I'd love to see make a return - item description. Those in Fo1 and Fo2 were great and gave that little extra bit of complexity and versimilitude to the world. It'd be even greater if some of the vintage descriptions (Glock 86, Wattz 1000 etc.) made a return. Because they're awesome.

Something else I'd love to see make a return - item description. Those in Fo1 and Fo2 were great and gave that little extra bit of complexity and versimilitude to the world. It'd be even greater if some of the vintage descriptions (Glock 86, Wattz 1000 etc.) made a return. Because they're awesome.

Yeah, if there's anything I hate in an RPG its stats being described by nonsense acronyms, or worse icons. DAMs, CONDs, DRs, even Fire Resistance +10s...

I hate feeling like the loot I'm picking up is there just to be loot