Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

Punisher War Zone

:p I had a great time, fun and funny. It does not take itself too seriously, you shouldn't either. Big fan of both Ray Stevenson, and Dominic West. In many ways it's the most faith adaptation to a "super-hero" film, it's superior to both previous Punisher films (that is not at all difficult)

best movie ever: grindhouse presents: planet terror.

[/sarcasm]

oh gawd was that ridiculous. a new twist on zombie movies. supposed to be a spoof of 70s "exploitation" movies, but i cannot for the life of me figure out what the "exploitation" actually was. i can understand the concept of "blaxploitation" movies, which were quite obvious, but what did horror movies from the 70s actually exploit? stupidity?

best scene in the movie: rose mcgowan running across the parking lot (as grenades, bombs, and other destructions are going off) with a large caliber machine gun in place of her right leg. yeah, rose was a peggy. the whole series of scenes from the time she got that replacement leg (she broke off the wooden peg in some guy's eye) till the end of the movie was hilarious simply because it was sooooo stupid. michele wanted to hurt me, i think.

i'm not sure if i want to see death proof now.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

Death proof is a better movie, although it spends too much time on pointless banter that just isn't cool in the same sense as Vincent Vega versus Mia Wallace was in Pulp Fiction.

The actresses, some of them anyway, seem to have been chosen more for their Russ Meyeresque properties, and worst of all Tarantino is in it for more than 5 seconds, which is about as much as I can stand of him in one helping.

Despite all that it's not a bad movie. Kurt Russel is pretty good.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

best movie ever: grindhouse presents: planet terror.

[/sarcasm]

oh gawd was that ridiculous. a new twist on zombie movies. supposed to be a spoof of 70s "exploitation" movies, but i cannot for the life of me figure out what the "exploitation" actually was. i can understand the concept of "blaxploitation" movies, which were quite obvious, but what did horror movies from the 70s actually exploit? stupidity?

best scene in the movie: rose mcgowan running across the parking lot (as grenades, bombs, and other destructions are going off) with a large caliber machine gun in place of her right leg. yeah, rose was a peggy. the whole series of scenes from the time she got that replacement leg (she broke off the wooden peg in some guy's eye) till the end of the movie was hilarious simply because it was sooooo stupid. michele wanted to hurt me, i think.

i'm not sure if i want to see death proof now.

taks

You were supposed to see it in a theater, it loses too much seen in the comfort of home on DVD, not only that you didn't see the whole thing. I actually remember going to see movies like death proof and plant terror in scummy theaters that were open all night in the bad parts of town, and it captured the feeling of the whole experience pretty well. :shrug:

old boy

kinda like the count of monte cristo - only not a happy ending at all

necromantic 2

only watched like the first 20 mins and got rather disturbed

some chick banging a corpse, and two people going to the movies to see a movie about 2 naked people sitting either side of a table on a rooftop eating boiled eggs and discussing ornithology :p

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

it loses too much seen in the comfort of home on DVD,

The only thing I personally miss when watching at home on the big TV is the potential audience participation - which can sometimes add a lot to the enjoyment of a film. I'm sure I wouldn't have liked Independence Day very much without all the cheering and hooting and hollering of the packed audience that made it an experience to fondly remember. :p

I enjoyed Planet Terror quite a bit at home, giggling happily through much of it's tongue-in-cheek campy length. Sounds to me more like taks didn't like the movie for taste reasons rather than screen-size reasons.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

it loses too much seen in the comfort of home on DVD,

The only thing I personally miss when watching at home on the big TV is the potential audience participation - which can sometimes add a lot to the enjoyment of a film. I'm sure I wouldn't have liked Independence Day very much without all the cheering and hooting and hollering of the packed audience that made it an experience to fondly remember. :p

I enjoyed Planet Terror quite a bit at home, giggling happily through much of it's tongue-in-cheek campy length. Sounds to me more like taks didn't like the movie for taste reasons rather than screen-size reasons.

The whole idea of "Gringhouse" was to recreate what it was like in the movie theaters in the 70's and early eighties, with the cheesy trailers/movies, missing reels, broken projectors, open 24 hours, in the bad parts of town. How many times have you watched a DVD and it braks/tears ect. Basically you paid $2.00 and stayed all night/day if you wished to, and watched terrible films. It works for me, watching it at home just doesn't work, it was the experience not the screen size

Edited by Kelverin

You were supposed to see it in a theater, it loses too much seen in the comfort of home on DVD, not only that you didn't see the whole thing.

not sure that seeing the whole thing would have helped. in a theater, maybe, assuming the crowd had enough collective intelligence to make properly sarcastic remarks throughout the film. stuff like "go peggy!" and similar. we had that going on when a group of us in high school all went to see nightmare on elm street... while stoned. the entire theater was laughing at us in the back. it wasn't on DVD, btw, but on one of the non-HD movie channels i get... encore or something, i think. i like kurt russell, so i'll probably watch death proof, too, but they are only showing them together or planet terror alone, not death proof alone.

hey, btw, at least tarantino got it good in planet terror. is it me or does he look like he gained some weight since pulp fiction (even after i shrunk the screen down for the non-HDness)?

taks

Sounds to me more like taks didn't like the movie for taste reasons rather than screen-size reasons.

i've got a 52" sony LCD. but the flick wasn't in HD so i wasn't watching that large of a picture. in spite of the fact that i know all those things were added intentionally, overall it was just a retarded movie, worth one watch for giggle factor, as you noted, but nothing else.

taks

Sounds to me more like taks didn't like the movie for taste reasons rather than screen-size reasons.

i've got a 52" sony LCD. but the flick wasn't in HD so i wasn't watching that large of a picture. in spite of the fact that i know all those things were added intentionally, overall it was just a retarded movie, worth one watch for giggle factor, as you noted, but nothing else.

taks

I don't really see myself wanting to watch it again any time soon. It was funny, but once I know the funny, while I might still admire the production/satire, it's not funny the next time. I did have an "advantage" that I was very amused to see Michael Biehn - especially

when he died (he almost ALWAYS dies in every movie he's in)

which helped me enjoy it.

I haven't seen any movies recently, even on cable or DVD. Just a few fave TV series. Baseball's taken me over.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Spirit.

Doesn't even deserve a review.

5/10

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

The Spirit.

Doesn't even deserve a review.

5/10

I gave up after the first fight between Spirit and Samuels character.. it was just stupid and boring..

It's just sad when you only need 5 minutes to tell the movie stinks.

Fortune favors the bald.

Day the Earth Stood Still remake.

Watchable end of the world fluff until the terrible ending that ruins what little enjoyment you were having before. And the kid character was nothing but annoying.

Day the Earth Stood Still remake.

Watchable end of the world fluff until the terrible ending that ruins what little enjoyment you were having before. And the kid character was nothing but annoying.

What do you expect from Will Smith's son?

Fortune favors the bald.

I don't think the kid's acting was that terrible. More that the role/character was terrible.

gotcha, LadyCrimson, and i agree overall. really stupid, campy movies are still fun sometimes. kwinkidentally, there was some documentary or something on last night regarding the blaxploitation films a day or so after i brought them up in here. they are telegraphing my thoughts, i guess. ;)

biehn was in something else we were watching the other night, btw. now i'm going to go crazy trying to remember what it was... grrr!

taks

I'm just about to watch that^.

I finished Miracle At St.Anna. I wasn't impressed.

I agree I saw a preview for it so long ago but actually watching it, I don't know how to respond to it. Spike Lee is such a ham.

I watch Yesman and Doubt, both excellent imo.

All deception is self deception all hypnosis is auto-hypnosis

Rambo - ;(

What do you mean it's not a comedy?

Body of Lies (2008) - Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe, directed by Ridley Scott. Good flick! Certainly worth a rental.

EDIT - Finished Heaven Gate What a strange movie, if you watch it I would recommend only watching the Christopher Walken scenes, he was fantastic. Skip the rest that will save you about 3 hours and 15 minutes of your life.

Edited by Kelverin

Body of Lies (2008) - Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe, directed by Ridley Scott. Good flick! Certainly worth a rental.

I'll second this. It's a solid movie, with great performances from both DiCaprio and Crowe.

Last movie I saw was Max Payne. It wasn't too entertaining... but at least I got to see Olga Kurylenko in a very short dress. ;(

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I agree I saw a preview for it so long ago but actually watching it, I don't know how to respond to it. Spike Lee is such a ham.

It wasn't horrible, I guess. It just wasn't very good. Let The Right One In, on the other hand, was pretty damn good.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Sunshine

I liked it for the most part. Music was great. My monitor I tested with it not so much =] Ah, pity. Also unfortunate that the evil captain had to be another Dr. Weir. The imagery was great, and what held me off of watching the film in theatre ("Our sun is dying" --> Ok, ridiculous, won't watch) did not disturb me now, as it was just that one sentence, and the rest was beatiful images and suspense :*

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Sunshine was like Hollow Man for me. What was a pretty cool sci-fi flick for the first 2 thirds ends up as a slasher flick.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg