What you did today

Gorth

I don't think it's going overboard to expect people to clean up after themselves in the gym though. The sweat, the body/facial hair, the dirt, the dead skin...

It's not being prissy to expect to not have to roll around in other people's sweat. I say that having had to fend off numerous athlete's foot infections and verrucas. It's only a towel for ****'s sake!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, I just finished Day Three without any pop or caffeine. 3 days pop and caffeine free. That is somewhat of an accomplishment since where I work at I get free pop whenever I want it.

Awesome. I know a lot of folks who drop 20-30 pounds just by cutting out soda. I recommend a natural juice drink. It has enough sugar to get you going, but it's real fruit sugar so it is way better for your health. I drink a Crystal Geyser Juice Squeeze almost every day at work, they are very good.

:)

I'll join in on this since a daily glass of (all-natural) juice is the best thing.

I'll also congratulate you on being soda free since its ubiquity makes it much more addicting than we usually give it credit for. :thumbsup:

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

I will be the dissenting voice wrt fruit juices. They are ridiculously high in sugar (and no, not even "natural" sugar is "good" for you. The unused sugars will get converted to fat and stored by your body) and carbohydrates. I have in my hand right now a 10oz containers of Veryfine grape juice and look at these stats:

Carbohydrates: 47g (Thats 16% of your DAILY intake in one drink!)

Sugar: 47g

Sodium: 30mg

You want to lose weight? Drink water.

I dont drink fizzy drinks/pop/whatever because they make you fat and bloated. I do drink milk though, because they never get it straight if its bad or good for adults to drink. One week its bad, the other some repaort says its a miracle drink.

Today I spend all day texturing and configuring my SubSurfaceScteering skin shader, while simultaneously cooking a christmas ham in the oven. Its been in for over 8 hours and its still not cooked. My eyes are about to fall out of my head and staring at the same texture all day has made me temporarily colourblind, everything is too green because Ive been staring at red. I tink its time I went grocery shopping and airbreathing.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I will be the dissenting voice wrt fruit juices. They are ridiculously high in sugar (and no, not even "natural" sugar is "good" for you. The unused sugars will get converted to fat and stored by your body) and carbohydrates. I have in my hand right now a 10oz containers of Veryfine grape juice and look at these stats:

Carbohydrates: 47g (Thats 16% of your DAILY intake in one drink!)

Sugar: 47g

Sodium: 30mg

You want to lose weight? Drink water.

I just realized that I misread your post since you were silly enough to use imperial measuremeants. Silly American. :p

Unless Google is lying to me then 10oz of my juice would contain half the sugar of your American 10oz juice and that can hardly be called particularly harmful unless you're drinking more than one glass or if you're a health-

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Did you guys know that the sugar you get from an apple is actually different than the sugar you get from apple juice? Seriously, I have a friend who was told by the doctor that she needed more sugar. She was eating a lot of fruit, but that only fulfills one type of sugar, so she needed to start drinking juice.

I've never heard of needing multiple types of sugar. WHile there are different types; I've never heard of needing one type in particular.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Did you guys know that the sugar you get from an apple is actually different than the sugar you get from apple juice? Seriously, I have a friend who was told by the doctor that she needed more sugar. She was eating a lot of fruit, but that only fulfills one type of sugar, so she needed to start drinking juice.

i think you friend's doctor was not very clear. fruit juice, using the US definition, contains nothing but pure fruit, and likewise will have simple fructose. fruit juice ****tails typically have high-fructose corn syrup in them, which contains an equal mixture of fructose and glucose (corn syrup is nearly 100% glucose). the latter is probably what the doctor was driving at, i.e., more glucose. that's also what they use to bring diabetics out of a diabetic coma: a shot of glucose. calling it a shot is a severe understatement, however, since the syringe barrel is huge.

milk sugar = lactose. most of the world's population cannot digest it past childhood. i can, it would seem, though i do not particularly care for milk.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I've never heard of needing multiple types of sugar. WHile there are different types; I've never heard of needing one type in particular.

well, different sugars digest differently, and likewise get used by the body differently. glucose is what insulin turns to fuel for the brain, btw.

reading more about fructose, btw, i'm not sure what hurl's friend's doctor was getting at. fruits in general seem to be all over the map in regards to their fructose, sucrose, and glucose contents. apples in particular have nearly 60% fructose, but almost equal amounts of glucose (23%) and sucrose (21%).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I was curious and chased a few links on google and can find nothing that indicates that people need different types of sugars.

The only thing related that I have been able to find, from multiple places, is that the natural sugar in raw fruits and vegetables is fine, but that all other sugar is not.

The only thing I can think is that taks is correct and that it was more of a reference to consuming quickly accessible sugar for health reasons. Or something.

I have no plans to change my diet to include processed/added sugar after years of avoiding it.

Unless someone can provide links that would indicate such is desireable. WHich I haev been unable to find.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I... sat around and read more of Water Sleeps for the day.

Then I went digging around for information on the author (my personal favorite which I've been trying to get you guys to read for friggen years but nobody takes me up on it) Glenn Cook, and found that he's gonna try to put together two more books for Black company...

And I've also got a couple of other series that I need to pick up by him.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Let's assume one has a garage or spare room to use/fill up with some basic weights equipment ... you can always jog in a park ... would you guys still go to a gym?

And I don't see what the big deal is about bringing your own towel...it's either that or they can charge you even more for providing/washing constant racks of clean towels.

I played a lot of Mount and Blade over the weekend ... now back to reality.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Let's assume one has a garage or spare room to use/fill up with some basic weights equipment ... you can always jog in a park ... would you guys still go to a gym?

If I had enough spare floor space and cash I wouldn't be opposed to working out at home, but mostly I find it easier and ultimately cheaper to go down the street (5 minute walk) and use somebody else's equipment 5 days a week. For my roughly $100 a month it works out to about 5 dollars a visit, which is OK with me.

And on the issue of seat and towels. A little sweat is no big deal. But when somebody leaves a puddle of it behind, its kinda gross.

My biggest concern about gyms is exposure to MRSA, and that may become a greater issue over the coming years.

Then I went digging around for information on the author (my personal favorite which I've been trying to get you guys to read for friggen years but nobody takes me up on it) Glenn Cook, and found that he's gonna try to put together two more books for Black company...

Glen Cook's most recent series is great. The only fantasy I've enjoyed in recent years. I am waiting for the third book pretty anxiously.

I have read some of the very early Black Company stuff and found it rather flat. Cook seems to ahve improved greatly as a writer between then and now.

Glen Cook's most recent series is great. The only fantasy I've enjoyed in recent years. I am waiting for the third book pretty anxiously.

I have read some of the very early Black Company stuff and found it rather flat. Cook seems to ahve improved greatly as a writer between then and now.

The honestly I loved the first and third novels the most (followed closely by the last). In the I want to say 7th(?) book (she is the darkness) he actually has one character criticize another characters prose and writing style.

The first Company novels are VERY different in terms of tone and content than the latter. I had more fun honestly with the first novels as the humor was... different (it's hard to explain, but the later novels did away completely with the magical brawls between Goblin and One-eye, which were FANTASTIC fun). I donno, I guess I really like Croaker as annalist over the other three that have "written" their tales.

I still need to pick up instrumentality of the night and have collected most of the Dread Empire (his first series overall).

He does have a weird thing for 9's tho (Dread Empire and Black Company there is a group of 9 guys who run the world... well not so much in Black Company, they only run ONE world)

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

No, I hate gyms. If I get into a workout rhythm I don't want it disrupted by waiting for a machine or bench. Plus I find all the girls in the aerobics classes to be very distracting. And trying to meet women in a gym is one of those things that sounds good in theory but never works well in practice. I'd rather work out at home.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I would certainly rather workout at home but spending like a grand on a squat rack and bench isn't all that appealing to me especially since I'd lose a lot of extremely convenient and helpful alternative exercises. And also wtf at crashgirl spending $100 a month? I spent 300 for a 2 year contract that allows me to go to like 80% of the thousands of gyms they have around the world.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

And also wtf at crashgirl spending $100 a month? I spent 300 for a 2 year contract that allows me to go to like 80% of the thousands of gyms they have around the world.

$80? I don't know. I'm in the 3rd year of a three year membership so I don't remember the exact price. It's in my monthly budget at $100.

It's a pretty common city sports club: http://www.mysportsclubs.com/default.htm

edit: You made me curious so I went and checked. I pay $72.45/month.

edit2: I get free towels. :)

Edited by CrashGirl