What you did today

Gorth

I went christmas caroling around my family's houses. It was fun despite the blizzard conditions.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

My phone posted the same thing twice so I edited the second post to say this.

Edited by awsomeness

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

just realized that I've got a wan card built right into my ps3 and hooked that sucker up and am now updating it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Who-ho! We finally got our christmas snow, and lots of of it. The scenery outside really looks like those old christmas-cards :)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Did most of the gift shopping this weekend. (Protip: in the holiday season, stores usually open earlier than normal on weekends. This means that Sunday morning is the perfect time to go shopping, while a significant percentage of the rest of the population is either worshipping the benevolent god of their choice or serving penance to the vengeful god of hangovers.)

I was amused to discover that the Best Buy in Rockville, MD, has a life-sized model of a dude in FO3 power armor, a gift from the people at Bethedsa Softworks (which, despite the name, is HQ'ed in Rockville, which you shouldn't go back to). There was a signature on the front (as well as a sign indicating that it was not for sale), but I couldn't make out who signed it.

Other than that, I, like GD, spent a large part of the weekend watching football. None of that minor league stuff, though-- just the pro games.

I had to get the parent out of the cancer clinic for Christmas. She's in fine form, but weak as a sparrow. Very very frail.

My girlfriend hit it off with the parents by blagging a wheel chair for my mum from the NHS.

I failed to hit it off with her mom, because I had to tell her in no uncertain terms NOT to go on her planned cycling tour of south africa. I mean two elderly people on a cycle? I've had five family members killed in the last few years, and two more shot. It's not even sensible violence. Starving HIV infected maniacs off their proverbials on drugs, staggering around shooting people to gt their freaking shoes. It's like DnD.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

i've done very little today. i was waiting on some java code from one of our contractors so i could extract the method he's using to put our antenna into tracking mode. he sent the code, as well as instructions for compiling the java code. unfortunately, i needed instructions on compiling his C++ code (my system uses the C++, another system was using the java) since i'm going to move the tracking stuff over to what we're already running. now i'm waiting again. as a result, i'm not doing much.

i did turn in my "acceptance letter" for teaching the lab again this coming semester. i'm undecided whether i'll put the hammer down and make the students call me doc. :)

taks

comrade taks... just because.

got deeper in the Cruel Wind omnibus (the main three books in Glenn Cooks Dread Empire series).

plots within plots, layers upon layers of power, complicated love story (a woman falls for father and son at the same time and actually sleeps with both, after hating men for most of her life. Oh and she doesn't know that her lovers are related (neither do they)). It starts 400 years before the first chapter with the fall of a corrupt empire. Cook is fantastic in that it's not High fantasy (everything isn't Good v Evil, Usually its the darkness of the black that the characters are fighting) and theres only men. Usually there are examples of the darkness inherent in human souls, characters raise people to power only to find that the kind old begger was more corrupt and tyrannical than the previous lord. Theres an example in the black company that I think is to dark for these boards. Also, unlike in most tales, where wizards are beings of power unimaginable but rarely hold power, Almost every King or lord in Cooks book is a magic user. Black Company is a better example because in the Dread Empire tales (at least as far as I've gotten) most of the sorcery in the part of the world that is dealt with has faded except in a few spots.

All in all a favorable change from the usual rigamarole of Tolkien high fantasy where everyone is altruistic except those that are very obviously evil.

Working very hard on my NWN2 modules. For those interested in that kind of thing check out the project forum here: http://nwcitadel.forgottenrealmsweave.org/...isplay.php?f=77

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Sent off a lot of envelopes for my grad school applications. Really has me on tenterhooks because the process is (as expected) so convoluted, and because it'll take so long for the stuff to get to US/Canada from here, I don't have a lot of second chances. Wouldn't it be nice if the whole thing screwed up because I forgot to seal something or whatnot.

No time, no money, and nothing was right to get parents a proper christmas thingie, so I thought maybe I'll just have them go watch a movie and have a nice dinner together or something. But in this blasted city even the cinemas close down on the 25th (not that there's anything good out there).

Sent off a lot of envelopes for my grad school applications. Really has me on tenterhooks because the process is (as expected) so convoluted, and because it'll take so long for the stuff to get to US/Canada from here, I don't have a lot of second chances. Wouldn't it be nice if the whole thing screwed up because I forgot to seal something or whatnot.

No time, no money, and nothing was right to get parents a proper christmas thingie, so I thought maybe I'll just have them go watch a movie and have a nice dinner together or something. But in this blasted city even the cinemas close down on the 25th (not that there's anything good out there).

Oh right your not in america. There are a a few movies I think look interesting, Valkyrie and The Spirit.

That's what you get for having a 5,000 watt power supply.

just for the graphics solution.

we got our train up last night. well, by "we" i mean michele though i did fix a problem with the track. i also proclaimed that after xmas we would work together to get the full western scenics kit finished. it's pretty big and will require a lot of work. i started it before my dissertation work was fully underway and abandoned it when i determined i was overwhelmed and losing my mind. i lost my mind anyway so i'm guessing i should have just kept at it. :)

taks

comrade taks... just because.

It's Christmas Eve, my bosses are on holiday and so are my colleagues. So I'm spending the day writing notes for a possible NWN2 mod.

(Yes, another abortive attempt 4tw. :))

It's Christmas Eve, my bosses are on holiday and so are my colleagues. So I'm spending the day writing notes for a possible NWN2 mod.

(Yes, another abortive attempt 4tw. ;))

Good for you Tig! If you are interested in the FR setting you might want to check this out: http://www.forgottenrealmsweave.org/wiki/tiki-index.php

Techinal and moral support and possible collaboration if thats what you want. I'm neck deep in building one myself.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Introduced my girlfriend to the parents the last couple of days. They liked her so much I had to half-jokingly tell them she was mine, not theirs!

My mum is frail and tottering like a cross between a newborn chicken and Yoda. She even has a stick like Yoda that towers over her. I keep trying to make her speak like him, without realising. However, while she is obviously in need of protection, she is also being bloody annoying. "oh I am so frail, why don't you and your father repaint the kitchen? You know I'll only have to do it myslef if you don't." Then begins hauling herself in that direction like a slug impersonating Christ.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So I'm spending the day writing notes for a possible NWN2 mod.

Yesh... Gimme the preciouss.... ;)

Today I still haven't done much, but will spend the rest of the day cooking. Everyone in the house is tasked with preparing desserts, and I will be no exception.

Something I won't be doing today is opening presents, or many presents at least. There's not a whole lot of that this year.

Heh. Ended up writing 5,000 words of notes... not much incentive to work when it's Christmas Eve and people ar ethrowing candy all over the place, if they haven't left already. ;)

I'll post some stuff for you guys to devour when it's all a bit better organised. From my past abortive attempts I know that I often plan too many elaborate and complicated things when I'm a coding newb, so probably have to wield the axe a lot here.

GD & DR - reading up on what you guys've been doing is what's rekindled me fire again, good on y'all. Unfortunately I'm not going to use FR (it's too hard to work with lore when you're so blind on it... and I use a very different conception of Orcs), but it will be fantasy.

Just came back home on the stroke of midnight (Christmas here already, folks) and writing the parents' card. Woop.

What I did today? I visited Protectmarriage.com and lost my Christmas goodwill.

**** you. And **** Sarah Palin and her "tolerating" gays. Hurray for implicature, you dickface.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds