Fallout 3

Gorth

Ha! The agency I work for made it into the game a little bit!

In an undifferentiated office building involved in a minor quest, there is an active computer terminal that that has a little message from an employee at the time the bombs were dropped. Under her name, it indicates that she worked for the same agency I do. They moved our offices from DC to the VA side of the river, though...

You know what I just realized? I realized that Amata (your interest/girlfriend in Vault 101) was voiced by this girl:

odette-yustman-03.jpg

Odette Yustman

Now I like Fallout 3 even more!!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You know what I just realized? I realized that Amata (your interest/girlfriend in Vault 101) was voiced by this girl:

odette-yustman-03.jpg

Odette Yustman

Now I like Fallout 3 even more!!

... *oops* messy :D

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Picked this up the other day and am having a blast. I am a bit disappointed that I seem to have to use the subways to navigated much of the urban areas, but it's been pretty minor.

I really get the impression that I am exploring a desolate wasteland. I love looking into the horizon and seeing a vast landscape of blown out buildings.

I'm only part way into the main plot (been to Washington Monument). Have helped out the people in Megaton and Big Town.

Edited by alanschu

In other news, it's great that Bethsoft finally got over their ugliest npcs ever syndrome. For instance, in Megaton, both the Sheriff, Nova, the water treatment dude who loves his scrap iron, Nathan and addict guy are very good attempts.

Then again, some of the raiders are hilarious. The head shot gib effect is often a blessing, honestly.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

In other news, it's great that Bethsoft finally got over their ugliest npcs ever syndrome. For instance, in Megaton, both the Sheriff, Nova, the water treatment dude who loves his scrap iron, Nathan and addict guy are very good attempts.

Then again, some of the raiders are hilarious. The head shot gib effect is often a blessing, honestly.

Now then, now then, lets face it, the artwork, and animation is still ****.

I dunno, compared to what. Animation is pretty basic but world and structural artwork is really rather good.

The shape tool you are supposed to use to create your char takes years to get the hang of, at least they have provided a few semi decent premade faces. Interestingly they made exactly the same mistake as in Oblivion. After you have spent 30mins fine tuning your appearance you step out into the light and realize the tone in your face doesn't match that of your body.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I dunno, compared to what. Animation is pretty basic but world and structural artwork is really rather good.

The shape tool you are supposed to use to create your char takes years to get the hang of, at least they have provided a few semi decent premade faces. Interestingly they made exactly the same mistake as in Oblivion. After you have spent 30mins fine tuning your appearance you step out into the light and realize the tone in your face doesn't match that of your body.

It suffers from all the same flaws that Oblivion had.

To me personally it looks sub-par, They really have supplied bare minimum as far as I can see.

but graphics ain't everything... Infact it's unimportant, well until someone thinks it looks good, but seriously, it's the gameplay that makes FO3 so much fun.

The environments, and characters could be better, but they don't need to be better, what is does the job well enough... But I'm not going to be the one saying "WOW what a pretty looking game", it's fugly.

I thought Oblivion was pretty in general. It had very poor ground textures at a distance, it had very ugly people whose models were simply wrong from the ground up and the animations were silly, but the rest was fine. Now, those are not small failures, but on all three counts I think Fallout 3 improved, to varying degrees. It is indeed adequate for the job it does.

After you have spent 30mins fine tuning your appearance you step out into the light and realize the tone in your face doesn't match that of your body.

Really? They didn't fix that? Pretty poor. It was especially bad with female characters in Oblivion, since the female pc would have its hands and face "lightened", thus increasing the difference in tone from the body.

This lightening process did not appear with the male pc avatars. One can only assume it was implemented to create a specific look for female avatars, ie females have paler hands and faces or something.

Really, the entire face gen system in Oblivion was pretty poor and took hours of practice and experimentation to get to work well, especially with the skin tones. It was especially difficult since creating a darkening or shadowing of one area of the face would create lightening (or even more darkening) in another area. Plus, as Gorgon points out, due to the way face gen works, a tone that looks OK in one light looks awful in all others.

Plus the 2 areas where one could officially use the face gen system in Oblivion were both problematic. The first area, the starter cell in the imperial prison, was quite dark and due to teh torchlight faces looked much redder than in other areas. The second area, just before you leave the sewer, was hideously overexposed due to the bright light sourcing from the sewer entrance, and any face created to look good there, looke dimmeditaely awful once you exited the sewer.

The only was to use the face gen system well was to get your avatar into a neuteral light area outside the prison and use the SHOW RACE MENU console command to bring up the face editor. Bummer for console users.

I was hoping, due to how bad the face gen system was implemented in Oblivion, that it would have been improved or even replaced in Fallout 3.

No such luck, I guess.

http://www.facegen.com/

Is this still the one Beth is using in FO3?

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well, at least we can blame some of the deformities in Fallout 3 on irradiated water.

Drinking out of toilets is never a good thing. Even in a PA wasteland.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The only was to use the face gen system well was to get your avatar into a neuteral light area outside the prison and use the SHOW RACE MENU console command to bring up the face editor. Bummer for console users.

But doing that would also reset certain parameters in your game, potentially ruining quests. They put an extra option for changing your hair and face in game in F03, but lo and behold if the face surgery option isn't in dark rather than natural light as well.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Yeah, there's a semblance of reality in the Fat Man, which is pretty amazing. The 'unrealistic' bit about the Fat Man would be, I guess, how tiny and portable it is, and how widely available it is.

But then, you could stretch weirder things than that in any Fallout, what with those aliens and whatnot. I think FM is stupid for one thing only - how it trivialises nuclear power, which is so poignant in the setting otherwise. I got by fine without it.

But then, you could stretch weirder things than that in any Fallout, what with those aliens and whatnot. I think FM is stupid for one thing only - how it trivialises nuclear power, which is so poignant in the setting otherwise. I got by fine without it.

I don't really see the poignancy in popping a few pills to instantly cure radiation sickness or in charging up the Highwayman with a fusion power cell. What poignancy Fallout had came from personal interactions (e.g., the Vault Dweller's exile at the close of FO1) and from human nature in general. (It was "War never changes," not "Nuclear power never changes.")

True, but I could always accept RadAway/Rad-X as a necessary gameplay mechanic. You could easily do without the Fat Man or the Highwayman, but without the pills?

I guess it's all a matter of degrees though.

1950's America was nuclear powered crazy, just like the game exhibits. We had glow in the dark watches that used Radium, Fat Man type of weapons and nuclear powered cars that look similar to the Highwayman. Surprisingly we didn't have any beverages like Nuka Cola and its various flavors. :(

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester