Fallout 3

Gorth

But doing that would also reset certain parameters in your game, potentially ruining quests.

Not if you went to the testing hall first, before you started the main quest or even talked to your fellow prisoner, and then warped back. :sorcerer:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

But doing that would also reset certain parameters in your game, potentially ruining quests.

Not if you went to the testing hall first, before you started the main quest or even talked to your fellow prisoner, and then warped back. :sorcerer:

If you only changed your char face, it usually wasn't much of a problem. I did have one time where a bunch of my stats were reset, but that was the only time out of quite a few where using SHOW RACE MENU caused problems.

Does Fallout 3 allow the use of SHOW RACE MENU?

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yes. Most, if not all, of the old console commands from Oblivion will work in Fallout 3. :sorcerer:

That's a good thing! Why the :) ?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yes. Most, if not all, of the old console commands from Oblivion will work in Fallout 3. :)

That's a good thing! Why the :ermm: ?

Many reasons, for example have you seen any horses in Fallout 3? The commands are still there for them, as is all of the code. The same is true of magic spells and a host of other things that are only bloat. :sorcerer:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Perhaps nuclear-powered robot horses in an upcoming DLC?

Think of the win!

Many reasons, for example have you seen any horses in Fallout 3? The commands are still there for them, as is all of the code. The same is true of magic spells and a host of other things that are only bloat.

Reminds me of how half of the variable names, comments and so forth in Medieval: Total War 2 code is inherited from RTW. Can't remember specific examples, but somewhere along the lines of the Papacy being referred to as the Senate.

Is there a mod out there that lets you skip the Vault yet, though? It's pretty boring if you have to go through the baby steps again.

Nothing yet. Most mods out there are item mods and cosmetic changes.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Are people honestly surprised by the "bloat?" The fact that the commands for horses exist in the engine still has very little bearing on Fallout 3. And there's no point in giving someone time and money to remove stuff that isn't going to be used when you can have them working on other stuff. And if an end user tries using it in the console, well then they're stupid and get whatever random **** they deserve. Garbage in, garbage out.

Until EA revamped their NBA Live code a few years ago, there was still legacy code for the Sega Genesis lying around.

As an end user though, it doesn't really affect you. Some files might be larger on install or something like that, but it's not like you need to worry about any linking issues or compile time issues that would come with bloating the code. Huge chunks of that code isn't even referenced in games anymore. Quickbooks has millions of lines of code because of legacy stuff, because people don't like removing code "just in case."

In a game though, I suspect much of the file size comes from resources and art assets and whatnot, rather than unnecessary functions in the executable.

Edited by alanschu

I hated the way horses worked in Oblivion. It had MMORPG written all over it.

Horses in the wasteland, or some mutated version thereof, makes a lot of sense. After all, merchants still use brahmin to pull their crap around.

As far as legacy code and "bloat." *shrug* A complete non-issue, considering all the places that it pops up as it is. The legacy code apparently didn't kill the sales for Fallout 3. It certainly didn't impact my enjoyment. I didn't say to myself, "wow, I get the feeling there is code for horses lying somewhere around here.... THERE! Under that super mutant! It must be some horse code! I thought that mutant moved oddly fast."

Yep, it's really easy to see the similarity between Fallout 3 and Oblivion. That doesn't bother me. I'm looking forward to Oblivion with Guns 2! It'll be awesome.

Eurogamer talks about the THREE new downloadable quest packs for Fallout 3:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fallout-...nterview?page=1

I must say I am intrigued. I didn't touch the DLC for Oblivion, but I actually liked Fallout 3 so maybe I'll jump in this time? Anchorage sounds lame, but The Pitt and Broken Steel sounds interesting.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Is there a mod out there that lets you skip the Vault yet, though? It's pretty boring if you have to go through the baby steps again.

Why not just load the autosave from right before you exit the vault?

And there are way more than just item and cosmetic mods.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

There are all sorts of mods.

I just wish that they were on another website - I have issues with both of the "Nexus" sites, or rather the policies of their administrators and moderators, that I will not get into here. :)

-Hurlshot

There are all sorts of mods.

I just wish that they were on another website - I have issues with both of the "Nexus" sites, or rather the policies of their administrators and moderators, that I will not get into here. :)

You do understand that both TesNexus and Fallout3Nexus is run by the same man, a avid fan of the elder scrolls. In no way, shape or form are these sites established by Bethesda. Mods that are too mature for Bethesda may not even by linked to directly from their websites to TesNexus. Thusly, there are only

1 administrator, I think?, and that will be the owner of the site aka DarkOne.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

You do understand that both TesNexus and Fallout3Nexus is run by the same man, a avid fan of the elder scrolls. In no way, shape or form are these sites established by Bethesda. Mods that are too mature for Bethesda may not even by linked to directly from their websites to TesNexus. Thusly, there are only 1 administrator, I think?, and that will be the owner of the site aka DarkOne.

Yes I know that. Anyways, I stated that I had problems with the sites' policies, moderators, and administrator(s) and thus try not to support them or recommend them to others. Also, I did not say anything about Bethesda Software or its forums in my post. :)

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

-Hurlshot