Tig in Korea

Tigranes

Not a lot, as I don't take kindly to cameras and most of them have me looking like I've just been to the gulag :)

Now Shryke can assassinate me one lonely night.

1. Chung Gye-Chun, a newly constructed waterway in the heart of Seoul.

post-59-1229425958.jpg

2. Inside Gyung Bok-Gung, one of the major palaces in past Korean kingdoms. A walkway inside, really.

post-59-1229426015.jpg

3. Some cathedral in Jun-ju, apparently pretty darn famous. Deserves to be, too.

post-59-1229426111.jpg

4. In which Sun-ha shamelessly exposes graffiti!

post-59-1229426137.jpg

5. In which Sun-ha has a crippled arm, but is out of stimpacks.

post-59-1229426179.jpg

6. In which Sun-ha celebrates phallic symbols. Same place as (1).

post-59-1229426209.jpg

7. What a tree, Humbabaloo

post-59-1229426240.jpg

good pics, awesome places, creepy grins

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Even though i cannot understand it, but because of my courses in japanese, i can at least spot the difference between Chinese Kanji, Japanese Katakana and Hiragana and Korean.

I bet an internet cookie that the grafitti says something in the vein of "Lee was here".

Nice photos, btw.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Hangul uses an alphabet. It's been about 20 years since I've read it, so I don't know what it says exactly, but it starts with Han G*ok chang ee something. Yes, it is phonetic.

Great pics, Tigranes. It brings back memories of cherry blossoms and soju. It is alarmingly sentimental, so I will therefore beat a hasty retreat. Thanks for sharing, man!

EDIT: Stupid. G*ook is a language filter item, apparently.

Edited by Aristes

Nice tree. A Ginkgo, no?

My neighbors have a huge one about 6 feet from the property line. Unfortunately, it's a female, which means that every fall it drops a crapton of foul-smelling fruit all over our yard. My shoes still stink from the last time we gathered them up.

Pretty leaves, though.

Unfortunately, it's a female, which means that every fall it drops a crapton of foul-smelling fruit all over our yard.

I think that about describes women in general, if you replace "every fall" with "every end of the month".

Nice pics, by the way. I miss the days when I used to take pictures, going off somewhere without a plan and just making visually documenting the journey. That eventually stopped once my girlfriend decided she wanted to take pictures of my grim visage at every turn :)

Yes, that is the artificial river.

The graffiti says, tone preserved, "Korea is, like, sort of awesome".

It was in the middle of a reputable arts / crafts centre plaza thing.

Korean is phonetic, and in fact very logically constructed to be phonetic (benefits of a language whose framework was set up by one guy).

Pink shirts are a sign of manliness and intelligence.

Second round of pics tomorrow when I get around to it.

I saw the title "scandalous" and was expecting drunk lampshade dancing pics or something.

I'm disappointed. :aiee:

Seriously...nice pics. I really like the first one, great scenic portrait photo.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You look like a very nice young man Tigraines. I thought you'd be a lot older, much like your avatar.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I really like those trees, reminds me of maples, except ours are scraggy and old and tend to prefer being parasites to the hawthorn hedges.

By the way, and I know this might cause a highjack(and less nekkid girls), is East-Asian Buddhist architecture very universal, or does Korea share a very involved history with its neighbours? The old spots look very reminiscent, but I've always thought that Korea had enjoyed certain cuktural isolation or at least seclusion, nevermind a certain warmongering kingdom to the west. Truth to be told, I probably know less of your corner of the world than you do of mine.

Yours is cooler, though. :grin: And has a section in the British museum.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Korea and China had a lot of traffic, and because of China's size and military might, they had a big influence on Korea during, say, the 10th to 16th centuries. e.g. Korean was actually a spoken language among the 'plebs' for centuries, until a King finally got down to making an alphabet, then converting the nation. Until then, everything was written in Chinese letters (or, uh, Kanji). Japan was *completely* secluded from the outside world for centuries, only being discovered by Chinese and Korean sailors... so Japan borrowed a massive amount of Chinese and Korean culture, though it still managed to branch out quite uniquely, for all that.

Anyway. In terms of architecture? Quite similar. In terms of, say, clothing? Quite different, curiously (Chinese clothing had various external influences, such as the technically 'barbarian' occupiers in the 16th (?) century imposing those now-famous 'pigtails'). Pottery? Korean pottery was the pottery... in China. :grin: Since Japanese culture is much better marketed in the West (an excellent feat by them in the mid-20th century), I can say, Korean is as unique as Japanese is. It's going to appear similar, but lift the hood and there're a lot of weird things going on.

All dates given are probably centuries off, and I forget all specific names. It's been a while.

Second round of pics. That's probably all of the 'well-taken' photos.

1. There were four great gates around Seoul back in the days when people had walls. Two are long dead, and some hobo set fire to one this year (literally), so this is the only one remaining one. The East Gate. :)

post-59-1229467577.jpg

2. In which Sun-ha visits street food vendors. They are awesome, if you know the right ones.

post-59-1229467710.jpg

3. In Korea, you can pay to hit things with your stick. Two bucks.

post-59-1229467766.jpg

4. Inside Gyung-bok Gung, since Steve has been there. The royal palace - the green trees pic was taken elsewhere within it as well. The palaces are quite different from Western ones. There are no 'high-rise' buildings; the outer walls are only about two metres tall, and inside are a number of sand courtyards separated by inner walls. Inside each courtyard you will have relatively small buildings, often only the size of one or two rooms. The point was that living quarters and kitchen and so forth are all in separate buildings, and buildings, if you could afford the land, weren't cramped together. So you had a lot of walking space and privacy.

post-59-1229467831.jpg

5. Some crazy traditional Korean game that I've never seen before. Later, I conspired to hit those girls with my stick.

post-59-1229467896.jpg

I refuse to pander to the facebook phenomenon of plastering blotched drunk faces all over the intarwebs!

Also, apparently I can't incriminate myself, so yeah. :)

Korea and China had a lot of traffic, and because of China's size and military might, they had a big influence on Korea during, say, the 10th to 16th centuries. e.g. Korean was actually a spoken language among the 'plebs' for centuries, until a King finally got down to making an alphabet, then converting the nation. Until then, everything was written in Chinese letters (or, uh, Kanji). Japan was *completely* secluded from the outside world for centuries, only being discovered by Chinese and Korean sailors... so Japan borrowed a massive amount of Chinese and Korean culture, though it still managed to branch out quite uniquely, for all that.

Anyway. In terms of architecture? Quite similar. In terms of, say, clothing? Quite different, curiously (Chinese clothing had various external influences, such as the technically 'barbarian' occupiers in the 16th (?) century imposing those now-famous 'pigtails'). Pottery? Korean pottery was the pottery... in China. :) Since Japanese culture is much better marketed in the West (an excellent feat by them in the mid-20th century), I can say, Korean is as unique as Japanese is. It's going to appear similar, but lift the hood and there're a lot of weird things going on.

All dates given are probably centuries off, and I forget all specific names. It's been a while.

Thanks, Tig. I knew there's a different history behind every winner, just never went out of my way to find out.

Also:

5. Some crazy traditional Korean game that I've never seen before. Later, I conspired to hit those girls with my stick.

post-59-1229467896.jpg

:lol:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds