Divinity 2: Ego Draconis

funcroc

Divinity 2 screens and vid

Larian Studios has confirmed to CVG that the sequel to Divine Divinity will be released on Xbox 360 and PC sometime in Q2 2009.

The game, entitled Divinity 2 - Ego Draconis, will continue the Divinity saga where the previous game left off.

Players will start off as a young Dragon Slayer who will ultimately become a Dragon Lord.

From what we've seen, an in-depth story will be complemented by a multi-faceted quest structure that offers a number of potential solutions to each mission.

So for example, in one village we visited our Dragon Slayer discovered that the local blacksmith was having an affair with a married woman.

When the woman asked us to take a letter to the smithy, we could do as she instructed, read it, take it to her husband, destroy it, or blackmail either of them.

The decision had a number of consequences too. The blacksmith would raise or lower his prices based on the outcome, future quests would be opened or closed to us and we were promised that we'd encounter one or both of them later if they ended up leaving town.

Divinity fans will be happy to know that composer Kirill Pokrovsky will be returning to create the soundtrack for the new game. Fans of The Witcher might want to keep an eye on this one.

I loved Divine Divinity when it came out. I mean it's the only RPG that has a PORTABLE BED, that you can put in your backpack! That was so awesome.

Since this was designed with the 360 in mind, my interest in this lowered greatly. I'll just wait till I hear more.

Since this was designed with the 360 in mind, my interest in this lowered greatly. I'll just wait till I hear more.

I wasn't aware that the 360 couldn't handle portable beds.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I wasn't aware that the 360 couldn't handle portable beds.

:rolleyes: OK I'll upgrade my interest to "Mildly Interested, but still cautious".

If I'd won the lofty title of "Dragonslayer" (which I presume suggests that you have bested a giant reptillian beast and are therefore hard as nails) I wouldn't be troubling myself with the local blacksmith's sex life. I'd be slapping him on the shoulder, congratulating him on his manliness and comissioning the forging of an even bigger +5 Hackmaster greatsword.

He would be tugging his forelock, praying that I wasn't about to have one of my frequent Chaotic Evil moments.

I am therefore deeply suspicious of these design desicions.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I loathed the original DD. First village was okay; but then it turned into a massive unfun and boring hack and slash. yeah, yeah.. its fans will yell out til their redfaced that it gets 'better'; but meh.

I love dragons though so who knows... I did, at least, see potential in the game...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I loathed the original DD. First village was okay; but then it turned into a massive unfun and boring hack and slash. yeah, yeah.. its fans will yell out til their redfaced that it gets 'better'; but meh.

I love dragons though so who knows... I did, at least, see potential in the game...

Agreed. I'm told there were some decent parts later on, but I can only put up with so much combat before getting tired. The two skeletons who talked each other out of existance were a nice touch, though. The game had potential, but I don't suppose they'll make any big changes to the formula for another sequel. :(

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I enjoyed the Divine Divinity, though I didn't enjoy Beyond Divinity. The setting was generic, the story was generic, but it let you do a lot of things, had lots of skills and was generally fun. Until you realized that the scorpion trap could kill anything in the game within seconds.

:(

One of those games that I played for 10 minutes then destroyed to pieces. I can't actually speak for the game as a whole, because I didn't really read up on it, but I tried the first bits of Beyond Divinity (is that the 2nd one?), found it ugly, boring, uninspired and cumbersome... basically with nothing to make me play more.

I seem to recall everyone hating on it at the time, but seeing posts here, maybe that's not necessarily the case.

^ Actually, I finished the original and rather liked it. It's heart was in the right place. There was lots of strange crafting (putting weeds in bottles and stuff) and books of utter generic fantasy nonsense, but there was enough charm, exploration and quasi-Diablo type combat to keep it going.

I'm still not interested in who the blacksmith is enjoying relations with, though.

2009 is going to be the Year of Dragon Age / Diablo 3. So it was written, and so it was. I'd not bother releasing a fantasy CRPG to go up against either of them because it will be squashed like a tiny bug on the windscreen of destiny.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.rpgwatch.com/#10039

Divinity 2 - Shaky cam video @ YouTube

Last friday a presentation of Divinity was given by Larian Studio's Swen Vincke at the Games Convention. A video of this presentation was made by Xanlosch (a forum member of the Divinity 2 forums).

It shows the first live footage of the game and it is split up in 3 videos:

-

-

-

Wow, it looks great! I've seen previews and screenshots before and it's looked like crap. But these videos make it look like Gothic :D

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Wow, it looks great! I've seen previews and screenshots before and it's looked like crap. But these videos make it look like Gothic :D

Very very crap then....?

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Like some others here, I enjoyed Divine Divinity for what it was, a fun action RPG with an interesting story (well, until the final scenes!); also, I really disliked Beyond Divinity. It was boring, generic, it's story so uninteresting that I had to force myself through it, and with a plot twist so vacuous and obvious that it could be spotted in the first hours of the game.

Still, I will probably buy this sequel (1) to support a young, struggling but talented gaming company; and (2) to see if they can return to the original DD "magic" funness. The graphics have surprised me! Isn't this Larian's first foray into 3D technology? I'm impressed by what little I've seen.

Waittaminute... this isn't an X-Box exclusive is it? Bah. If so, forget everything above this sentence. :lol:

Edited by ~Di

never finished. were a diablo 2 clone and we never could embrace the diabloesque 1007 & level gameplay. never got much into the story, and we clearly recall moments when we were certain that something musta' been lost in translation. even so, for folks who likes to quick level and gather huge quantities o' booty, divine divinity (a finalist for any "Worst Title Evar" contest) were no doubt worthy o' purchase.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)